Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
WantToBuy
WantToBuy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Does iPad glare make it difficult to read?

I am considering buying an iPad and have heard so much about the glare and it's strain on the eyes. Those of you who have one, is the glare really a strain for long-term reading? Is is truly easier to read on eInk?
WantToBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToBuy View Post
I am considering buying an iPad and have heard so much about the glare and it's strain on the eyes. Those of you who have one, is the glare really a strain for long-term reading? Is is truly easier to read on eInk?
There's already been some iPad glare discussion here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88694

Personally, I don't notice the glare or get eyestrain when reading on the iPad. I read digital manga (i.e. b&w comics from Japan) 2-3 times per day for at least 30 mins per sitting. I also have a Kindle DX, but haven't touched it since I got my iPad. Imho the eink screen is easier to read standard books on, but you can't beat the ease of use of an iPad for non-standard book reading. For me with manga, being able to instantly pinch to zoom, keep my collection nicely organized, view the occasional color page in all its glory, and being able to make full use of the screen greatly outweigh the eink of the DX.

So a big factor should be what you intend to use an ereader for. If you want something purely for standard books, I recommend an eink device. If you want an ereader for anything other than standard books (manga, comics, technical docs, etc.) then I recommend an iPad, even with its lcd screen.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I can easily adjust the screen brightness on my iPad so that I can read for hours with no eye-strain. Reflections are sometimes a problem, but I can usually find a viewing angle to eliminate them.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I have not had any problem reading on mine so far.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I have read all day on mine on a couple of occasions and not had any problems. You can't go outside with it, or even by some windows, but reading indoors has been no problem for me!
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
I recommend you check both types of display out for yourself. You can get a Kindle and return within 30 days if you don't like it. You can also check out the iPad at Best Buy or Apple Store.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
whoops, wrong thread.

But no problems with reading here-the screen is reflective when black, but not with a white/sepia page.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Since I've had my iPad, my eInk readers have been gathering dust. I have no problems at all reading on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #9
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I switched from iRex DR1000S to iPad. No problems unless you want to read outdoors.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #10
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
it can be bright in a dark room, but then I turn the brightness down!
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
I have read all day on mine on a couple of occasions and not had any problems. You can't go outside with it, or even by some windows, but reading indoors has been no problem for me!
I agree with Kathy. I bought the iPad a few months ago and have enjoyed reading on it. There are Kindle enthusiasts who don't like the backlit screen and comment on it often. I have looked at an e-ink reader and it is easy to read on as well. I wanted a bigger screen and the iPad gave that too me. Glare would be an issue outside but I don't often read outside. I have taken it on car trips and not found it to be a problem - no, I wasn't driving while I was reading! It really is quite different than reading on your computer.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I tried reading on the iPad in the park and it was really not that good of an experience. The glare was very distracting and sometimes reading became impossible, depending on the sun-to-shade balance. At home it's just plain awesome. I still use my eInk readers. Outside and for novels only.
Well, the iPad has its glare, so outside use depends on "where exactly" the outside is located , but on the other side, try reading eInk in the evening or at night without lights on

...there's a gadget for that...
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
It boiled down to what type of device you're looking for. If reading is the main purpose, then I would say get an e-ink device. However, if you find that you need to surf the web, email, play games, and read book and magazine as well then the iPad would be better choice.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
It boiled down to what type of device you're looking for. If reading is the main purpose, then I would say get an e-ink device. However, if you find that you need to surf the web, email, play games, and read book and magazine as well then the iPad would be better choice.
It doesn't have to be one or the other. Readers such as the Kindle 3 are sufficiently inexpensive that you could get both an iPad and an eInk device and use each according to its strengths.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Readers such as the Kindle 3 are sufficiently inexpensive that you could get both an iPad and an eInk device and use each according to its strengths.
Quite; the price of a Kindle 3 is almost exactly the difference between a WiFi-only and a 3G iPad!

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote