Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #76
freddozzo
freddozzo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
italics bug

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and e-readers and I much admire your efforts to enhance the reading experience.

Tried this wonderful plugin with my Kindle PW and works just fine BUT for a bug on the italics in the text: it recognizes and displays all the characters, but adds random empty squares and spaces in the words, which is pretty annoying.

☐kin☐d ☐of☐ th☐☐is☐

I've tried changing the fonts from custom (i did the use_alt_font trick in the root folder, as described elsewhere) to kindle standard (be it baskerville or caecilia) and it happens in both cases.

My kindle is not jailbroken. Any ideas?
freddozzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #77
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Others may correct me, but I would suspect the bug is in the Kindle PW software and those squares are soft-hyphens which it should not be displaying?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #78
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddozzo View Post
Hi all,

Tried this wonderful plugin with my Kindle PW and works just fine BUT for a bug on the italics in the text: it recognizes and displays all the characters, but adds random empty squares and spaces in the words, which is pretty annoying.

My kindle is not jailbroken. Any ideas?
can't confirm your problem.

just reading hyphenated book with several italics pages - not a single error you've mentioned.

btw latest PW firmware
krbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #79
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle
Might be problem with specific italic font. Currently plugin can ignore configured tags, so maybe worth to try to ignore i and em tags. If italics is set via stylesheets, there's the only workaround: tweak ebook with caibre and change italics font. If this is not something you could do yourself, I'd like to see that book myself.
SauliusP. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #80
TikiGawd
Cogito ergo non ovis.
TikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch
This is great, thanks!

Only problems I've had were the plugin not liking the english .oxt dictionary (had to extract the .dic file), and several books needed the language metadata manually set. After that, the plugin worked beautifully.
TikiGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #81
TikiGawd
Cogito ergo non ovis.
TikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enoughTikiGawd will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch
Yay, custom columns!

Thanks, that'll make updating my collection somewhat less tedious.
TikiGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #82
calvin
DRM remover
calvin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, 4 & Touch, iPhone/iPad, Hanvon N516 (OpenInkpot)
Hi, I have an epub that get's destroyed if you convert it via calibre to azw3 (until then everything is fine) but if you then hyphenate the azw3 the size of the book is from former 20MB down to 1.5MB (all pictures are removed).

It is a german ebook with many pictures in it.

any idea?

one addition,

On the second try I made the hyphen conversion on the epub and then the conversion to azw3, then the azw3 is hyphenated and all pictures are displayed.

Last edited by calvin; 04-10-2013 at 08:44 AM.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #83
SauliusP.
Plugin developer
SauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notesSauliusP. can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
any idea?
Something wrong probably with AZW3 explosion if you say EPUB is not ruined. Could you please share the book? May PM me share link if it is copyrighted, just to check what's wrong.

Share original EPUB, please.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #84
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Hi, I have an epub that get's destroyed if you convert it via calibre to azw3 (until then everything is fine) but if you then hyphenate the azw3 the size of the book is from former 20MB down to 1.5MB (all pictures are removed).
This is a bug in Calibre up to version 0.9.26. I've raised a ticket and it is fixed already. Will be released with 0.9.27, most probably tomorrow (as it is Friday).
Old 04-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #85
freddozzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
Might be problem with specific italic font. Currently plugin can ignore configured tags, so maybe worth to try to ignore i and em tags. If italics is set via stylesheets, there's the only workaround: tweak ebook with caibre and change italics font. If this is not something you could do yourself, I'd like to see that book myself.
Actually I tried it with several books in different languages (so with different dictionaries). I tried to change font family and size, but the bug is still here.

Here's the link to a screenshot (sorry, it is in italian, with english books it happens the same). As described before, there are random blank spaces after apostrophe, squares and blank spaces in italics — which sometimes overlap with the regular font.

I take the epub files, hyphenate, and then convert it to azx3.
May the bug be due by some USE_ALT_FONT function error?
I'm running mac os x 10.6.8 and just bought paperwhite.

EDIT: improved but still not solved, see message below!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012_09_08T17_29_25+0000.png
Views:	589
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	104254  

Last edited by freddozzo; 04-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #86
freddozzo

An update!

Surprisingly I found everything works fine when I choose the editor's font face.

Unfortunately many books I own don't have the option available and I'd better choose on device: so I tried to set a font of mine in the conversion window from epub to azw, to make it behave on kindle as editor's.

After that move, the problem is partly solved — but few empty squares still appear in the middle of italic sentences: they really seem to be some "failed" dashes, as they behave following the hyphenation rules of the dictionary.

If this further development bring you some solution into mind, please let me know!

thank you
Old 04-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #87
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Sorry, got

LookupError:unknown encoding: 797865
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>LookupError</b>:unknown encoding: 797865

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction ", line 115, in hyphenate
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenatethisaction ", line 89, in _select_books
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenat or", line 165, in __init__
File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.hyphenator.hyphenat or", line 89, in __init__
LookupError: unknown encoding: 797865

Calibre Version: 0.9.27

book language English
with epub and converted with calibre epub -> azw3 too

english dictionary extracted from kpp-american-english-dictionary-797865-words-list.oxt and renamed en_US.dic to hyph_en_US.dic for adding
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #88
SauliusP.
Plugin developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar View Post
extracted from kpp-american-english-dictionary-797865-words-list.oxt and renamed en_US.dic to hyph_en_US.dic for adding
Hi there,

You shouldn't have had en_US.dic renamed to hyph_en_US.dic in kpp dictionary. en_US.dic is a spelling dictionary.

I have used kpp for my own testing, you have probably overlooked there is hyph_en_US.dic inside oxt already. So please use this one and do not rename other dictionaries.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #89
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Sorry, its OK now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauliusP. View Post
Hi there,

You shouldn't have had en_US.dic renamed to hyph_en_US.dic in kpp dictionary. en_US.dic is a spelling dictionary.

I have used kpp for my own testing, you have probably overlooked there is hyph_en_US.dic inside oxt already. So please use this one and do not rename other dictionaries.
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #90
josepinto
Connoisseur
josepinto began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiGawd View Post
Yay, custom columns!

Thanks, that'll make updating my collection somewhat less tedious.
Hi,

I donot understand wich type of custom column I have to create.
Could someone specify instructions, please?

José Pinto
josepinto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hyphenation