Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #346
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdominguez View Post
The 2 files stated in debricking process will not zip. Help
Get your images from the pastebin in the first post of the simple debricking sticky thread.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #347
Sparkrite
Sparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by opusitibm View Post
So dumb me. I flashed the partition table, now kindle is able to boot. After several reboot sequency automatically, now Kindle stop at a message said " Your Kindle Needs Repair." and contact Amazon and so on. any suggestion to get it fix?
thank you so much
Hi opusitibm,
I did the exact same think to my daughters K3 and it now says the same thing each time it tries to re-boot.
Have you managed to get it working by now and if so would you , or anybody else, please tell me how, I'm in the dog-house with my daughter over this. :-(
Sparkrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #348
Maslan
Maslan began at the beginning.

Device: K3
K3 dead ?

Few days ago I was successful in "debricking" K3 WiFi. Today I wasn't so successful. During flashing of 'kernel.bin' I put the address 0x00000000 instead of the correct 0x00041000. It happened after filling the address (howto - 9) and picking MMDC/SD in the dropdown menu (howto - 10). I didn't notice the address changed back to 0x00000000 after the change in dropdown menu.
(I suggest switch order of 9 and 10 in "K3noobdebrickATK" howto).

My Kindle looks dead or is it still chance? On 'pastebin' I found 'bootloader' and 'kernel' for FW 3.3.
If I found even 'rootfs', could it work again? Do you know where I can find 'rootfs'?
How should I correctly apply the 'rootfs' on my Kindle? Do you have any other suggestions, which help at this point?
Maslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #349
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslan View Post
Few days ago I was successful in "debricking" K3 WiFi. Today I wasn't so successful. During flashing of 'kernel.bin' I put the address 0x00000000 instead of the correct 0x00041000. It happened after filling the address (howto - 9) and picking MMDC/SD in the dropdown menu (howto - 10). I didn't notice the address changed back to 0x00000000 after the change in dropdown menu.
(I suggest switch order of 9 and 10 in "K3noobdebrickATK" howto).

My Kindle looks dead or is it still chance? On 'pastebin' I found 'bootloader' and 'kernel' for FW 3.3.
If I found even 'rootfs', could it work again? Do you know where I can find 'rootfs'?
How should I correctly apply the 'rootfs' on my Kindle? Do you have any other suggestions, which help at this point?
rootfs is usually labelled mmcblk0p1...

You can use the mmcblk0 (no p1) image (or at least part of it) to flash at 0x0000000, to restore your bootloader that you damaged...

I think hawhill posted instructions for flashing the bootloader somewhere in his "k3flasher" thread...
Old 11-09-2012, 05:35 AM   #350
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Maslan: Start with flashing partitionheader+bootloader to 0x0, plus kernel to the correct location. With a bit of luck, that should fix it already. Would be worse if you flashed the rootfs to 0x0, in that case, the device id section would have been overwritten for sure.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #351
geekmaster

@hawhill: perhaps someday the k3flasher tool could be smarter, and prevent overwriting known ("named") partitions just because a source image file is "too big".

It should have an override flag to ALLOW flashing multiple partitions at once, but that should be an exception and not the default. IMHO...

Still, the tool is great as-is, but it COULD be a bit more "noob-friendly" (i.e. safer)...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #352
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, it started out being not designed for noobs at all, making it extra hard for them to even use it. Now it got a bit more testing I should probably open that up some more, but as you say correctly, I should probably bring some security measures in place.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #353
geekmaster

The "smarts" could be a wrapper script that checks parameters before calling k3flasher. Even something that simple would be a big help.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #354
Sparkrite
Sparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toysSparkrite shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Maslan: Start with flashing partitionheader+bootloader to 0x0, plus kernel to the correct location. With a bit of luck, that should fix it already. Would be worse if you flashed the rootfs to 0x0, in that case, the device id section would have been overwritten for sure.
I did exactly what Maslan did, if you follow EXACTLY what the guide tells you to do, (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk) this WILL happen. IMHO Steps 9 and 10 should be reversed.

However I managed to get my K3 to boot up by flashing the V3.4 kernal and rootfs and V3.3 partitionheader+bootloader. But it is very unstable and rest assured all the devices ID's have been overwritten as there is now no Mac addy or device ID.
So without a way of editing the locations where these exist I reckon its pretty much bunched !
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #355
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkrite View Post
I did exactly what Maslan did, if you follow EXACTLY what the guide tells you to do, (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk) this WILL happen. IMHO Steps 9 and 10 should be reversed.

However I managed to get my K3 to boot up by flashing the V3.4 kernal and rootfs and V3.3 partitionheader+bootloader. But it is very unstable and rest assured all the devices ID's have been overwritten as there is now no Mac addy or device ID.
So without a way of editing the locations where these exist I reckon its pretty much bunched !
You can flash the correct values back, but you need to know at least your correct serial number and mac address that registers and identifies that kindle to your amazon account.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #356
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:

There are both on-kindle and off-kindle tools for changing those.

Check first in your diags mode menu - see if you can change them there.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #357
Sparkrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are both on-kindle and off-kindle tools for changing those.

Check first in your diags mode menu - see if you can change them there.
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I cannot change/insert them at the diags menu, it just hangs.....

can you point me to what tools I could use to try to set Mac addy and serial number etc
TIA.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #358
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That "idme" tool.
I have never needed to use it myself, search for the directions here (probably in one of the sticky indexed threads - or try the site search).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #359
hawhill
Wizard

Quote:
Oh dear, this explains things. I think that should be edited in the Wiki then. I don't have a Windows ready at my hands ATM, so I can't check here and do it myself.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #360
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Oh dear, this explains things. I think that should be edited in the Wiki then. I don't have a Windows ready at my hands ATM, so I can't check here and do it myself.
I just swapped steps 9 and 10 in the wiki page. It is now:
Quote:
9. In the dropdown menu in the upper right, select MMC/SD.
10. Enter 0x00041000 in the first box of the operation settings section.
Not having tried that, does selecting from the menu erase the address previously entered?

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3