Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Kindle Android Sync problem

I have 2 Kindles (KDX, K2) and Kindle Android on my Droid. I do most of my reading on the KDX but I occasionally want to continue reading a book on my Droid. The problem is that all 3 devices only sync to the Droid. Say I stop reading at page 700 on the KDX and want to continue on the Droid it automatically sync's when I turn it on but does not sync to 700. I push the sync on the Droid and I get a message that I am sync'd to the farthest page. If I go the the K2 and sync I get a message that I am at page 200 and my Droid is at page 300 do I want to go to that page. It doesn't sync to the KDX which is at page 700. Both Kindles only sync to whatever page the Droid is at. I expected sync to take me the farthest page over all devices.
Whispernet is on on all Kindles.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Have you tried "forcing" the sync? When you stop reading on the KDX on page 700, either open the menu while in the book and choose Sync to Furthest Page Read, or open the menu on the KDX home page and choose Sync& Check for Items - makes your Kindle "call home" - then open the Kindle app on your Droid & sync. Sometimes there is a delay in sync - you may be trying to read on the Droid before the KDX phones home to Amazon.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
greyparrot
eBook enthusiast
greyparrot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX/Kindle 2/Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Have you tried "forcing" the sync? When you stop reading on the KDX on page 700, either open the menu while in the book and choose Sync to Furthest Page Read, or open the menu on the KDX home page and choose Sync& Check for Items - makes your Kindle "call home" - then open the Kindle app on your Droid & sync. Sometimes there is a delay in sync - you may be trying to read on the Droid before the KDX phones home to Amazon.
Yes, I've tried these. I think I'll skip the sync method and just reset the location manually.
greyparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
scottmarlowe
Enthusiast
scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottmarlowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm having the same problem. My Kindle syncs to the last page read on my Android phone, but not vice versa. It's causing me to have to manually go to the last page read on the phone when I read further on my Kindle. More a hassle than anything else.
scottmarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
mellooney
mellooney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/Kindle for Droid/Kindle for PC
I have the same problem between my Kindle 2 and my Kindle for PC and Kindle for my Droid. The PC and Droid will sync with each other fine. The Kindle will pick up where the PC and/or Droid left off, but neither the PC or the Droid phone can pick up where I left off on my Kindle 2. I usually update my Droid phone in the mornings manually before leaving for work. That way, my PC will sync with it so I can read my books during my break or lunch on my PC or phone.
mellooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I don't have that problem syncing between KDXG, PC and iPod touch, but like poohbear_nc said sometimes you have to force it to sync before switching devices. And like he said, Whispernet might not update instantaneously. Since the common thread with the problem you guys are having is Android, I'm wondering if there is a problem with the Android app? You should notify Amazon CS.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've read somewhere - I think in the Android forum - not sure - that this is a known issue with the Android - someone had called Amazon CS about it - and that Amazon is working on a "fix."
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
mellooney

I was just on the "Kindle Support" page on Amazon. I looked up syncing issues, and apparently, in order for the Kindle to save where you last read, you need to make sure to click on the HOME button before powering it off. I have not tried that yet, but you bet I will tonight!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
mellooney

For those who could not get their PC or MAC or Droid or iPHONE to sync to where they left off on their actual Kindle, do this. When you are done reading your Kindle, go to the home page instead of just turning it off. As an added measure after going to the home page, click on menu and then click on sync. At first I didn't think this worked because I went to my Droid and then my PC right away to see if it worked. I found out it takes a little while for Whisper Sync to finish updating to the devices from the Kindle. Maybe 10 or 20 minutes. Anyway, at least it does work, but the key is to go to the home page, probably so that Whisper Sync can mark where you finished reading, before you turn off the Kindle.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
vashwood
vashwood began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
were you guys able to get this working? I'm having the exact same issue if I convert a non-amazon mobi using calibre. My Kindle 2 does not seem to be uploading the page information to amazon.

But if I try to sync an amazon book, everything works both ways.

I'm using a Kindle 2 and Kindle Android app on my HTC Evo.
vashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
vashwood

I've also added the Kindle app to my android tablet. The following is how I was able to sync the furthest page.

Kindle <- Evo
Kindle <- Tablet
Evo <-> Tablet

For your reference, I'm using Calibre Version: 0.8.15

When I finish reading from my kindle, I make sure my wireless is on. I hit 'home', then I select 'sync and check new items'. I also made sure I have 'backup annotations' turned on. On my Kindle I have firmware version 2.5.8

Last edited by vashwood; 08-26-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #12
vashwood

I used mobi2mobi to manually change the ASIN field. My kindle 2 was able to upload the current reading location to the servers, but for some reason it was not the correct location. I was on location 5004 on the kindle, but when i tried to sync the furthest location on BOTH my kindle and android, they both said i was at location 4590.

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but since it was wrong I reset the furthest location but turning off the syncing in my account and going to the first page on both the books. And now the kindle will not upload the furthest location again.