Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Best PDF conversion tool.

I have a PDF and I want to either convert it to HTML or DOC. What is the best tool that can do this?
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Are they scanned PDFs or text-based?

For the former, search the forums for recommendations on OCR software.

For the latter, I don't know of any software that works particularly well, but I'd still probably stick with calibre before paying for anything else. (Calibre will convert to rtf, IIRC, which you can open in a word processor and save as DOC or HTML.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Book Designer will also work for text-based PDFs. Then save as html. But it balks at image-based PDFS.
I tend to use Mobipocket Creator, which generally works rather well for text-based PDFs. After you load the file it makes an html version and stores it in "my publications."

For image-based PDFs I've invested in ABBYY Finereader 10. It's not cheap but does the job better than the competition, in my opinion.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Dark123
Zealot
Dark123 doesn't litterDark123 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
It's just a normal book with a cover. So it has an image and it's mainly text.
Dark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Ah, but if someone has made a scan from a paper copy, then saved to PDF, it will be an image scan. On the other hand, if someone has converted text and a cover-image to PDF then you have the (relatively) easy-to-convert sort.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BookDesigner generally does a much better job of PDF conversion than does Calibre, in my experience. Plus, you will ALWAYS need to edit the result to clean it up, which you can of course do in BD, but not in Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If you don't eant to spring for the full ABBYY Finereader, you can buy the PDF coversion part spearately as PDF Transformer. It work fairly well...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
If you don't eant to spring for the full ABBYY Finereader, you can buy the PDF coversion part spearately as PDF Transformer. It work fairly well...
Along the same line, I have to wonder why ABBYY doesn't give any indication as to the differences/similarities between FineReader and PDF Transformer. It seems, although just a cursory glance, that FineReader may do a better job with PDF to different format conversion. Any words on that, Ralph Sir Edward?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
If price isn't an issue, then go for Adobe Acrobat. It does a good job of conversion from PDF to HTML, without the hassle of editing out headers, footers, and page numbers from the output.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Try it, you may or may not like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Along the same line, I have to wonder why ABBYY doesn't give any indication as to the differences/similarities between FineReader and PDF Transformer.
The user can download trial versions of both programs. Since individual users have different requirements, just be sure you have some tough test files to run the program(s) against. The trial is very short lived (15 days, max of 50 pages, one page at a time). I feel certain I can eliminate the more expensive program with just a few pages. How does this look for conversion:

E(A, D) = DT £ [(Yi • Yi)I — YiY? D = DTM(A)D

The source is page 2 of

http://www.geometrictools.com/Docume...resFitting.pdf

It's not the subscripts and superscripts that upset me. FineReader got most of them correct. It is the non-recognition or omission of the math fonts. This makes sampling Transformer, the next program in line, moot. Which leaves me with Acrobat.

For non-math/science uses, FR is not too bad. It flows the paragraphs correctly, recognizes italicized text, and identifies headings. Since I won't be evaluating Transformer, I'll leave that to another board member.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Device: none
of those i tried so far, the best is abbyy pdf transformer, specialy for pdfs with images and graphics.
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #12
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
can i transfer TEXT to PDF?
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by archerwoo View Post
can i transfer TEXT to PDF?
You can do that with calibre, or with just about any word processor, or about a million other applications. But I think it would help to know a bit more about how you'd like these pdfs files formatted, if at all.

Last edited by frabjous; 04-09-2010 at 09:01 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by plim View Post
of those i tried so far, the best is abbyy pdf transformer, specialy for pdfs with images and graphics.
IMO, abbyy is terrific as an OCR tool for converting texts within images. But as a pdf (non image)-to-html or -text converter, I didn't have any good result with it at all. It will convert headers and footers of the PDF as part of the text, and it's a chore to crop the headers and footers within the abbyy program, because you have to do it manually, one page at a time.

I would rank the best 3 converters in terms of output to be used in an ebook reader, or to be used for conversion through Calibre, in this order:
1) Acrobat
2) Nuance
3) Nitro

I liked Nuance converter so much I purchased it. The price point is much more palatable than the Adobe's product.

Last edited by greenapple; 04-09-2010 at 07:56 PM.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Nuance had some pretty bad reviews here:

http://download.cnet.com/Nuance-PDF-...-10973909.html

When I see the word "crash", I shudder. Bad customer support is also scary.

Adobe Acrobat is a bear to use, but there are several books you can buy to master the program. Adobe will be around for a long time. Who knows how long Nuance will be in existence?
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote