Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you replaced all your hardcopy books for ebooks?
Yes and sold the hardcopy books 2 3.77%
Yes, but kept the hardcopy books 1 1.89%
I have not replaced my library yet, but will do and sell hardcopies 9 16.98%
I have not replaced my library yet, but will do and keep my hardcopies 2 3.77%
No. I will never sell my pbooks. 11 20.75%
I want to replace all my pbooks, but smoe/most/all are not available as ebooks. 28 52.83%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast
Puddytat purr is on a distinguished road

Location: Isle of Wight (that's the little speck at bottom of the UK map)
Device: Bookeen Cybook
Have you replaced all your pbooks/HBbooks?

I have managed to download ebooks versions of most of my personal library and much to my friend's delight, I am seriously considering selling my paperbooks - it seems a bit daft to have a wall full of pbooks when they're all saved electronically too.

My friend is so hopeful that I will do this as she's been eyeing my discworld collection (along with all of the Pern, Valdemar and Robin Hobb books) up for a while, so I know they'll all go to a good home and to someone who respects the good old paperback book!

Have any of you sold your hard copy books once you've replaced them electronically
Puddytat purr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I added two more options to the poll. There was no option for not selling the books.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast

OK, although I thought that yes & I've sold, yes & I've kept, not replaced but will sell/keep covered 'no i will never sell'
Old 03-01-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytat purr View Post
Have any of you sold your hard copy books once you've replaced them electronically
Nope. I buy pbooks because I want pbooks. Ebooks are an additional format here, not a replacement, and I have an assortment of texts in both forms.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddytat purr View Post
OK, although I thought that yes & I've sold, yes & I've kept, not replaced but will sell/keep covered 'no i will never sell'
Sorry. I misread the poll.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I dream of being able to stop carrying around boxes and boxes of paper. Pbooks are just not that useful to me - I already rip the words and then lose interest in the paper, so being able to keep the words in case I want to read them again would be very useful. As it is, i often give books away because it's not worth the effort of selling them (a box of second hand books is worth perhaps $20, but the second hand book shops will often only want to buy half of them).
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
When we last moved most of the weight of the household goods was books. That was 17 years ago. We have more books now.

I have managed to clear a full 6' x 3' bookcase through gifts, library donations, and other means (see enclosed PDF.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CrossingZoneDisplay.pdf (620.7 KB, 518 views)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think the poll needs another option for those who have partially replaced their paper books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast

Use option 3 or 4, I didn't want to put too many options
Old 03-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Many of the books I read aren't available electronically yet.

Even if they were, I probably wouldn't replace them because of the cost. Ebooks cost about the same as pbooks right now, and we have two rooms with walls covered in full bookshelves.

I am preferentially buying books as ebooks now rather than pbooks when they are available.

I really like the look and feel of a library, with all the pbooks covering the walls, though they are quite a pain to move. (We've moved twice in the last two years.) Thus I would not be highly motivated to get rid of my pbooks in any case.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
P. Versus E.

Simply cannot stay away from the polarising discussion.

When I first joined this forum, the big hotly debated threads were based around Digital Rights, its implications and opportunities.

Now, we seem to argue about the efficacy of paper versus digital.

This topic seems as divisive as the Great Devonian Controversy.

Am happy that it is a discussion, and I welcome the many conversation with all the illustrious members of this forum are so incredibly, passionately, wrong.

;-)

By the way, here's a really neat use for all those silly books people keep about their houses.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm with Patricia. I only plan to replace some of my library with electronic copies. Some books I can't find electronically. Some I will replace and dispose of the paper copies, either selling them if they're in good condition or tossing them if not (I have some really funky old paperbacks that I will be thrilled to toss). Some I will replace and keep the paper copies. It's not a one-size-fits-all answer.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
I'm with Patricia. I only plan to replace some of my library with electronic copies. Some books I can't find electronically. Some I will replace and dispose of the paper copies, either selling them if they're in good condition or tossing them if not (I have some really funky old paperbacks that I will be thrilled to toss). Some I will replace and keep the paper copies. It's not a one-size-fits-all answer.
yes, what they said.

i recently sorted through my bookshelves and gave away about 50 books, most of which i had found as PD texts, some of which i hadn't found but knew i would never re-read. but lots of my books are not available digitally, and there are some which i already have in digital format but will keep the paper anyway because they are nice editions. also, those ones i can lend to friends, which is harder to do with digital texts (until i convince all my friends to buy their own liseuses... ) EDIT : and some do not really lend themselves to replacement by digital editions (yet, at least), such as art books for example.

priority is getting rid of the dusty old cheap paperbacks (probably older than i am, taking up way too much space in my tiny appartment, and very bad for my allergies !). hopefully i will be able to replace ALL of those with digital copies. that would probably liberate almost half the total book-occupied space, and my eyes would surely be less itchy too.

but i don't really see it as an either / or proposition.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 03-03-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: it's a complex question...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
BruceW
Connoisseur
BruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-booksBruceW has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader
I will not get rid of all of my pBooks as these are "old friends".

Others I have found a new home for at a local (25 miles away) small village library, you know that building where you can borrow pbooks. Boy you would have thought that I was Santa. I must have doubled the SF and Mystery section.

I just hope that sometime in the future I will be able to do this same thing with the ebooks I no longer want. I hope this is not just a dream ….
Mmmm!
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm slowly replacing my pbooks but the problem is that most require scanning by me and that takes a great deal of time. Fiction I have no problem with replacing, most of it is one time use. But I have shelves full of needlecraft books and magazines (knitting, crocheting, cross stitch, needlepoint, quilting, sewing, etc.) that I would like to greatly reduce and that's what I'm concentrating on with my scanning efforts.

I have dust and mold allergies so old books can make me literally sick.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote