Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
One device to rule them all

it seems like The Industry is moving toward one multipurpose (or maybe two) device that will do everything, rather than have people carry a phone, an mp3 player, an ereader, a computer... it now seems to be smart phones and tablets, or maybe ultimately a 7" device with a camera and a phone for everything.

It may be more convenient, I suppose, to only have to carry one or two devices, but it seems like the battery life for the multipurpose devices just isn't there.

I get a week, sometimes more, between charges on my 5th Gen ipod, and a month or so on my Kindle 3. Yeah, I could use my K3 for audiobooks and music, but I don't like the controls for music or audiobooks, they're clunky and it doesn't have a sleep timer like my iPod does. I have an extended life battery on my Razr Droid, so if I don't use the phone for much at all, I get maybe 2 days between charges, and less than that if I use it for music or reading. Tablets, even the 7" ones, are too heavy for long-term reading, and they have what, about an 8-hour battery life? plus, I really prefer reading on eink for long sessions rather than back-lit devices.

So - how about you? do you think you'll go the One Device To Rule Them All route? or will you keep multiple devices for individual purposes?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
God, how boring would that be - it's bad enough with "suits" on trains/planes as it is with laptops and phones, think what it would be like if everyone had a complete office /entertainment/communication tool/game console/computer/video screen etc... with them.

Isee Device Rage becoming rife ...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It's a matter of personal preference and usage profile.
Me, I prefer optimized devices rather than swiss army knives but I know there are many who dream of a true all-in-one device like the EARTH FINAL CONFLICT Global:
http://www.google.com/search?q=earth...w=1366&bih=715

The tech isn't there but is not impossible.

Still, I think there will always be room for optimized specialty devices that do one thing significantly better and cheaper than the mutifunction devices. Now, whether those specialty devices are actually produced is a whole different story.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I've cycled back and forth as an early adopter. First I had a PDA & phone & camera, then an early Palm-OS phone, then back to a PDA & phone (and Nintendo DS), and now just an iPhone if you don't count my e-reader.

I like "converged" devices when they don't give up too much functionality. The device I have 24/7 beats something I left at home every time.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I can't see how there would ever be one device that would suit all of my media. For me, eink is the best for reading, but even then I like my Kindle Touch for reading in bed, and my DX for reading at the table or outdoors. The iPad is great for magazines and games, but is too large to fit in my pocket, or even some of my purses, and it's relatively heavy. The iPhone is great for lots of things, but reading isn't one of them, and most games are too small for me to play comfortably. If I were to go on vacation, I'd take my iPad, iPhone and Kindle Touch.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
My usage is similar to pidgeon92's. I use the Nook for reading, the Nook Color for comics and mobile web-browsing, and since I still have a dumbphone, I've got a separate mp3 player as well. I'd be happy to get a smartphone and drop the mp3 player, and if I had a smartphone, I might use it more for mobile browsing and leave the Color at home more. But really, that would just mean that if I'm carrying the Color less on a daily basis, I'd upgrade to a 10" tablet and make it my travel device rather than taking my laptop everywhere. So, I'd still have four devices: laptop, tablet, phone, and ereader. On a long enough vacation, I'd probably take all four, because the tablet isn't going to be able to run the sort of computer games I play.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Tablet, smart phone and e-ink ereader. That's as much convergence as I need.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
iPad, iPod Classic, (very dumb WP7) smart phone, e-ink Kobo...

You know, I don't ever want to converge them. I have all four for a reason!
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i do like my separate devices (kindle, kindle fire, ipod touch, dumbphone), but they can get so very heavy sometimes, so i'm thinking of getting a smartphone, but then, what could i do with my other devices? i don't plan on giving up my eink kindle, but the rest...
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
This entire thread bring to my mind three words; Samsung Galaxy Note! Does it all for me.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like having an all-in-one device for every day/on-the-go kinda stuff. But, I still have my dedicated things for gaming, reading, productivity, etc.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
This entire thread bring to my mind three words; Samsung Galaxy Note! Does it all for me.
still waiting for Note 2 here but i do know my sister's friend has a Note and he loves it
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
How does the Note compare with the Nexus 7? (I just got a job - part time, but still pays professional rates - and I'm thinking that my first present to myself will be something like that. I'm really leaning toward the 16 gig Nexus.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like separate devices, because the feature sets, prices, portability, and battery life are usually much better than all-in-one devices. Since I don't require 24/7 net access, I have more flexibility in choosing my gadgets.
  • Phone: standard feature phone (calls, texting)
  • Home: Kindle 4 (reading) -- iPod touch 4 (audiobooks, music)
  • Traveling: Clip Zip (audiobooks, music) -- Galaxy Player 4 (GPS, internet)
The only thing missing is a 7" quad-core tablet w/ card slot. Primary use is for videos while on vacation (no wifi); after that, it's a toy.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
One device to do everything has always been my goal. But 7" is both too small and too big. So I don't see it happening for me until several conditions are met:

1.)Foldable or rollable screens --- at least 10 inch when using the device and no more than 5" when carrying it, meaning it must still be pocketable.

2.)New screen technology to make reading easier on the eyes and to greatly extend battery life.

3.)Fully functional Windows 8 with Intel processor.

The question is if they even want to make such a device? My guess they rather sell us the usual assortment of phone/tablet/PC/ereader. Perhaps a 7" with a better screen is in the cards at some time in the future to replace phone and e-reader, it would also be usable as a "tablet light".

Or it could go the other way, with a Microsoft Surface replacing everything but the phone.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote