Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 AM   #1
Magnetic Visions
Magnetic Visions began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
PRS-650 micro-USB slot is loose

I started to charge my brand new Sony PRS-650 with the micro-USB plug inserted into the slot. It charges and transfers files, but it's loose. I can actually wiggle the micro-USB plug left and right only when its inserted in the micro-USB slot. I'll have to assume something inside the slot is loose.

Anyone here experience a similar problem with their Sony Reader?

I do want to note that I've used 2 other Sony PRS-650 readers and it didn't have the problem.
Magnetic Visions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
Request replacement.
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Demand replacement.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
My PRS-650 micro-usb connector also shows a little bit of play - a little more with some micro-usb cables - a little less with others.

The play is tiny, only about a fraction of a millimeter, and a few degrees of travel at the connector itself, but this is enough that it feels just every so slightly like something is 'loose', and this feeling gets magnified by distance, so you can actually wiggle the end of the micro usb plug back and forth about 3 or 4 mm (say 3/16 inch).

So if this is what you are seeing, I wouldn't worry about it, because it seems to be normal for Micro-USB.

Micro-USB requires very precise alignment, because the electrical contacts are so small, so this may seem strange . . .

You would think that with such small electrical contacts, we would need to make the tolerances extremely tight and lock things down so tightly that they can't budge even the tiniest bit.

But beyond a certain point this just isn't practical, so an alternative is to design the connector so that the critical parts, the electrical contacts, float slightly and self align when mated, and then make sure that the other parts of the connector have enough play so that they won't knock the contacts back out of alignment during normal handling

This can give the the micro-usb connector the feeling of just a little looseness, but this is designed in, and perfectly normal.

So, as a practical matter on your PRS-650, if wigging the cable gently back and forth through it's normal few mm of travel doesn't cause data errors, or device disconnect issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by delphin; 06-14-2011 at 08:48 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Silly question but are you sure it's the 650 that's loose and not the cable? I had a similar problem with my phone and found out it was the charger, not the phone that was the issue. I was happy since a new charger is cheaper than a new phone :P
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Magnetic Visions

delphin, what you described about your mirco-USB slot for PRS-650 is about the same in terms what's happens to mine.

Interestingly, for my PRS-650, once I insert the micro-USB cable into the slot, I can actually push it in even more because it's not perfectly aligned (angled like a slope). Even though if I don't push the micro-USB cable in more to make it aligned to the PRS-650, I can perfectly transfer files or charge the device without any problems.

odiakkoh, it's the PRS-650 micro-USB slot which is loose.
I pressed and pulled the tiny metal metal part of the micro-USB cable and it didn't move at all.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Magnetic Visions

I don't think I'll exchange my PRS-650 because in terms of reliability of transfering files and recharging, it still works without any problems. In terms of external appearance, it looks perfectly normal, nothing is bulging out when I pull of the micro-USB cable from the slot.

The only thing I have to somewhat worry is long term reliability. Since something is loose, what if I drop it or if it gets roughed up a bit with some shock?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Nah...........

Actually, being a bit puzzled by your description, I've tried 5 other devices - camera, mp3, phones etc.. - with the same plugging, and they all move to a certain extent, they aren't actually loose, and obviously this will amplify the further from the socket you hold the cable.

And how hard you wiggle it !

If that's all you have, and everything works, cancel my earlier suggestion and forget it - nowt's wrong.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Magnetic Visions

I just tried out my friend's PRS-350 micro-USB cable for my PRS-650 and it didn't have the problem. Slips in perfectly aligned and it didn't have the wiggle problem. So, it had to be the cable not the micro-USB slot itself.

On another note, the inside upper right part, especially the shiny silver area of the PRS-650's micro-USB slot has a deep line scratch. Does anyone here have it on their PRS-650? If not, I think my faulty micro-USB cable's barb caused it.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Visions View Post
I just tried out my friend's PRS-350 micro-USB cable for my PRS-650 and it didn't have the problem. Slips in perfectly aligned and it didn't have the wiggle problem. So, it had to be the cable not the micro-USB slot itself.

On another note, the inside upper right part, especially the shiny silver area of the PRS-650's micro-USB slot has a deep line scratch. Does anyone here have it on their PRS-650? If not, I think my faulty micro-USB cable's barb caused it.
No sign of any marks on mine. You are probably right in that the faulty cable has caused it.

As far as I know any USB cable with a micro plug will work OK.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:30 AM   #11
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic Visions View Post
. . . On another note, the inside upper right part, especially the shiny silver area of the PRS-650's micro-USB slot has a deep line scratch. Does anyone here have it on their PRS-650? If not, I think my faulty micro-USB cable's barb caused it.
You're not talking about the vertical line to the right of the jack are you?

That's an engraving of the USB symbol.

On the other hand, if you are talking about the apperent 'scratch' on the internal structure of the jack surround at the upper right side, get out a magnifying glass and look again . . .

That's not a 'scratch' it's a tiny intentional slot-like HOLE.

There is another matching small slot shaped hole on the other side, at the upper left of the jacks internal surround too.

These holes align with tiny springy finger protrusions on the top left and top right side of the micro-usb plug that plugs into this jack.

The idea it that the springy protrusions on the plug engage with the holes inside the jack, and help hold the connector in place once you plug it in.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
Magnetic Visions

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the pic of the scratch of the micro-USB port on upper right shiny area.

Anyone here else have it on their PRS-650? I do not recall having it when it was brand new though. My unit is less than a month old.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Magnetic Visions

Today - having more free time - I discovered that with my friend's PRS-350 micro-USB cable, I can still wiggle it a bit when it's fully inserted. It still fits in smoothly, but there's a very minor movement while I use my friend's PRS-350 cable. Yes, it stills wiggles when it's fully inserted when pushed left or right. Wiggles, but not as bad as my original micro-USB port.

I heard that micro-USB ports are designed to be inserted and taken out 10,000 before any problems develops.

Last edited by Magnetic Visions; 06-29-2011 at 09:48 PM.