Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #61
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
If everyone starts borrowing how can publishers and editors and writers make money ?
There are enough people out there who like to re-read some of their favorite books and purchase the book.

For me, I also use library lending to check out non-fiction books. If the book has lots of good information that I could use then I will go out and purchase the book (either in e-book form or DTB form).
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #62
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
As someone who has been a member at Books For Nooks for about half a year (and I think it's been in operating since about the time the Nook was released), I'm not sure why several people here keep coming up with a "I think I should create yet another book lending site" just because they think they can write a nicer interface. One of the issues is that these sites need a critical mass. Most people will probably pick a single site , and if they don't see something they want to borrow at that site, they'll just give up. Who wants to enter 50 books at multiple sites and keep the status updated at the rest after loaning from a request at one site?
Sounds like you've identified an opportunity for an aggregation web site ( he says half sarcastically)
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #63
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
I think more publishers will be making their books lendable to keep up with the competition.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #64
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
The ebooklendinglibrary is now in beta mode. Please let me know what you think of it. If you have any suggestions please let me know as well.
Thanks
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #65
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It may not be, FOR PERSONAL USE. But giving copies of your book to somebody else is not personal use, and is unquestionably a breach of copyright.
So lending a paperbook is a breach of copyright? I see if you sell it it *could* be seen as a breach, but I don't really understand how lending isn't personal use? (Not being snarky, it seems you have a real understanding of how it works so I'm just picking your brain )
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
So lending a paperbook is a breach of copyright? I see if you sell it it *could* be seen as a breach, but I don't really understand how lending isn't personal use? (Not being snarky, it seems you have a real understanding of how it works so I'm just picking your brain )
No, lending a paperback is absolutely fine. The problem with "lending" someone an ebook, though, is that you are making an unauthorised copy of the book in the process. That's where the copyright violation occurs. We're talking about ebooks here, not paper books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #67
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, lending a paperback is absolutely fine. The problem with "lending" someone an ebook, though, is that you are making an unauthorised copy of the book in the process. That's where the copyright violation occurs. We're talking about ebooks here, not paper books.
So lending my Kindle would be ok, but not an individual book? What if I have one of the multiple Kindle Apps and continued to read my book on one of them while my Kindle is lent? It's not making a copy, yet it might as well be since I can still read the book?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #68
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence
Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!Abigail Lawrence rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
There are enough people out there who like to re-read some of their favorite books and purchase the book.

For me, I also use library lending to check out non-fiction books. If the book has lots of good information that I could use then I will go out and purchase the book (either in e-book form or DTB form).
I would, especially for non-fiction.
Abigail Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
So lending my Kindle would be ok, but not an individual book? What if I have one of the multiple Kindle Apps and continued to read my book on one of them while my Kindle is lent? It's not making a copy, yet it might as well be since I can still read the book?
Yes, lending someone your Kindle is absolutely fine.

The whole point of the official Kindle book-lending mechanism is that the book is "disabled" for you while the other person has it on loan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #70
daqddyo1
daqddyo1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
Before you go public with your site, make sure you have consulted your lawyer about whether you might be breaking any copyright laws.
daqddyo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #71
Diane B
Diane B began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
People complaining about piracy.
From what I gather you don't actually give your ebook to someone. You just allow them to download the book from Amazon so I don't see how this will help piracy in anyway.

Personally I think Amazon and others should come up with some kind group accounts so people in one family or freinds can lend books between themselves to stop people from exploiting this the number of people allowed in a group should be limited.
I have an Ipad as does my husband. We read with several ereader apps, Kindle and Nook among them. We share books all the time by using the same account. I also can dl the books to my Touch--iOW to all devices with the same account number (including to a Kindle or Nook If I had one depending upon the device/app). I would think the Nook and Kindle would be the same.
However you do have to be registered at Amazon and Barnes and Noble with
the same account number. I'm not sure what happens or if its possible to change if you have already set up different accounts on different readers.

Diane B
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #72
eReaderMan
eReaderMan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
As someone who has been a member at Books For Nooks for about half a year (and I think it's been in operating since about the time the Nook was released), I'm not sure why several people here keep coming up with a "I think I should create yet another book lending site" just because they think they can write a nicer interface. One of the issues is that these sites need a critical mass. Most people will probably pick a single site , and if they don't see something they want to borrow at that site, they'll just give up. Who wants to enter 50 books at multiple sites and keep the status updated at the rest after loaning from a request at one site?
I agree.. keeping up with multiple sites and posting your lendable books all over isn't the way to go. Loan it on one site and then you have to cover your self on other sites where you may be posting the same book... not for me. BTW, the people that started booksfornooks.com were the first, mabye not the best looking, but the first... since Kindle started lending they also started booksformykindle.com and tie them up with booksformyereader.com
eReaderMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:15 AM   #73
humpakistani
Banned
humpakistani began at the beginning.

yes i have used it so many times and found it one of the best in all
humpakistani is offline   Reply With Quote