Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Problem sending books to memory stick

For a while now I get an "error communicating with device" message whenever I try to send a book to my pro duo memory stick.

I can read the books that are on the card fine both from my 505 and in Calibre, but I can't send new books. The details indicate "error 82 The directory or file cannot be created"

Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That can be one of things:
  • The memory stick is write-protected
  • If using Linux the file system on the memory stick is corrupted. on linux running fsck will normally fix this, while on windows you would use chkdsk.
  • The Memory stick is formatted in FAT16 and you have reached the limit of the number of files/folders in the root directory. The answer is to either format it as FAT32 or to move the books down a level as the FAT16 limit on the number of directory entries only applies to the root folder.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'm not sure how to "move the books down a level." If that means creating a folder and making all current folders subfolders of the new one will my reader still be able to find the books?

How can I tell how the stick is formatted and how would I go about a reformat without loosing my books?
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote