Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 04-24-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
Synchronise reading position in Calibre Viewer (OS X) and Marvin (iOS)

On my Macbook I prefer Calibre Viewer as my ePub reader.

On my iPhone I like the app Marvin.
Unfortunately the provider of Marvin does not offer an app for OS X.

My question:
Is there any way to synchronise the reading position of ebooks in Calibre Viewer and Marvin?

Of course that should even work, when Macbook and iphone are not in same local network.

To be not missunderstood:
Synchronising the library is not so important for me. I only read a few books at a time.
I only talk about the reading position in this thread.

Thanks for your help.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
There are NO standards for sync (reading position across devices)

That pretty much leaves out independent apps

If you stay within an reader eco system, some do offer sync eg Kindle
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
ibu
Addict
ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.ibu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo H20, iPhone 6+, Macbook Pro
@theducks
I guessed what you confirmed. What a pity. So many people out there, who change between devices and no standards for synchronizing them completely. Really strange that such stuff does not have a high priority for the providers of operating systems and applications.

Last year at world usability day in Berlin I listened to an interesting talk of Stefan Freiwald about multi device experiences in the context of webdesign.

http://2015.wud-berlin.de/events/mul...ive-webdesign/

He mentions the book "Designing Multi-Device Experiences: An Ecosystem Approach to User Experiences across Devices" from Michal Levin.

A lot to do.
ibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:20 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The IDPF (EPUB standards committee) is far more concerned with pushing multimedia addons via EPUB3.

No love for standardized annotations interoperability, more's the pity.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote