Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Ilogis
Enthusiast
Ilogis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cannot update Kindle Touch 5.1

I installed Jailbreak, Launcher, Ad Toggle, Collectionsync, Fonthack, Custom Screensave, now I cannot update KT to 5.1.

Anyone has solution? Can I reset Factory Default and Update? Will all those installed softwares be lost?
Ilogis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
I know that I'm not helping, but my KT, jailbreaked, with only Launcher and usbnetwork installed, didn't updated too.

It raised "Error: 06" when I tried.

My previous (and current) firmware is 5.0.4

UPDATE: It worked! Uninstall all the packages, then uninstall jailbreak, and try again ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-04-12T01_02_27-0301.gif
Views:	1140
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	85151  

Last edited by zamana; 04-12-2012 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Solution found
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
martindolphin
martindolphin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I've tried to update to 5.1 too and get the same Error: 006 - it does the first part of the update, says that was successful starts the second part and generates the 006 error - then reverts automatically to 5.0.4

I've also tried doing it after uninstalling the Jailbreak with the same results - and my custom screen savers still work after removing the jailbreak!

If anyone has got 5.1 to work please let us know.
martindolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #4
martindolphin

Working as well

I've just tried uninstalling launcher and removing the Jailbreak - the update then works - and very pleased to see the ads haven't come back! I imported my Touch from the USA and got it for less than the rather outrageous UK price that is launching at the end of the month, so I'm a happy man!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by martindolphin View Post
I've just tried uninstalling launcher and removing the Jailbreak - the update then works (...)
Maybe these are the only things people should uninstall to get the upgrade done.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
martindolphin

Zamana - have you tried turning your Kindle off and on again? Mines not responding to the power button anymore, except for showing the LED - it doesn't seem to power off - think it might have to be a factory reset next....

Update: After a lot of messing about, a reset then re-registration gets the power button working again, but my ads are back

Might try the Jailbreak again next.....

Last edited by martindolphin; 04-12-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Any success in running a jailbreak? Actually I removed all my hacks and the update to 5.1 is running ...
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
martindolphin

I tried the jailbreak again once I'd got 5.1 working but no joy - it ignores the file and the 'Update your kindle' menu option stays greyed out - I was trying the Jailbreak here:

http://yifan.lu/2011/12/10/kindle-to...kroot-and-ssh/
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

OK, THX, first update, after removing the hacks and the jailbreak, NOT successful, 006 Error ...
Old 04-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
martindolphin

I did it in an odd order - removed the jailbreak, removed the launcher, then tried the update again and it worked - but then eventually had to do a reset and re-register the device to get the power button to behave.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #11
diba
Addict

No success. Uninstalled jailbreak twice, restarted, uninstalled launcher again, same result. Error 006

Will have to go the way back to jailbreak and reinstall my stuff on 5.0.4 again.

I had a similar problem on my K3 from 3.2.1 to 3.3, what solved it there was, to overwrite a pem.key in the system. Anyone a clue, what the "original" pem.key should be?
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 AM   #12
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm dying to know: what areas of the device are changed? Did it break any of the hacks?
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
diba
Addict

Just to add, I had my Kindle localised as well, but did uninstall this as well. actually reinstalling all the hacks and trying the reverse way again.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
I upgraded successfully after a factory reset. Not need to uninstall any hack or jailbreak.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #15
martindolphin

Jailbreak?

After just doing a reset and installing, is your device still Jailbroken?

I'm back stuck with the standard screen saver (managed to partially disable the offers by using the trick of removing the hidden .assets folder and replacing it with a text file with the same name)