Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #31
Selzernium
Enthusiast
Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Selzernium knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-505
Free
Our Mobileread
Feedbooks
Bean free library
PG

Stores
BooksonBoard -- cheap, really fast - within couple of hours! - and helpful response
Fictionwise -- cheap, multiformat!
Dieselbooks -- cheap (specially the bundle deals) and good search function

Browsing
Simonsays -- the best search function and layout...

The strange thing is i don't buy from Simonsays cause of the delays even the books S&S publishes!, would you believe that I was able to find/get their books* earlier in BoB and Mobipocket than in their own site. How stranger - to put it politely - can it get...

*) I am mostly interested in S/F - trek - so the situation may be the reverse in the other categories
Selzernium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
etak
etak began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
books on board

Hi, do books on board sell to the U.K. and do they work with the Sony 505.
thanks
etak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
thanks
Yes to the first and yes to the second if you buy the Adobe format. You will need Digital Editions, set up an AdobeID and authorize your 505 to download the ebook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by etak View Post
thanks
BoB has two fee adobe protected test books. One is a PDF and one is ePub.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=adobe_ebooks

(Actually the ePub one actually shows a price when you go to buy it. Weird.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #35
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a reminder, at present and until 9/18, Fictionwise's one year club memberships are "better than free" (or, as I'd say, pseudo-free). 100% of the $29.95 membership fee goes into your micropay account, plus you get a $10 coupon. Not a bad deal if you think you'll be wanting at least $40 of e-books.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Diesel eBooks does have some interesting bundles with some really good prices.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #37
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Of course, both of them also have automatic store-credit rebates using their respective schemes. Repeat customers can factor that into reducing the effective price of the book, bringing that down to:

Fictionwise:
- General customers pay $11.49
- Club members pay $9.77

Books on Board:
- General customers pay $13.87

So as long as one buys enough books from the same store to make use of the automatic rebates, Fictionwise is a much better deal.
What about format availablility? Can I say that more books available in LIT format than in ereader format on Fictionwise and Books on Board websites?
or all books available in both formats?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohardyboys View Post
I personally use www.fun-guide.org
But dont know if the ebooks works in Sony or any other Reader.
I have to ask: how can a store be "good" if its books "don't work in any reader"? How do you read them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #39
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

not bad it is only a 4-month dead thread. Nice find.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:53 AM   #40
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Actually, I'd guess that someone else posted to the 'dead' thread, Harry commented to it & someone deleted the 'new' message...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #41
hannah
Zealot
hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hannah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Bebook mini
I buy at books on board. Once tried to buy a book at fictionwise and for regional reasons wasn't allowed to buy it...
hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #42
Marysart
Member Retired
Marysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enoughMarysart will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I had the same thing happen at Fictionwise and BOB at the same time for different books. This has nothing to do with the respective retailers, but with the publishers' restriction of sales for the book.
The way to get around this is to change your registration information.
Set your country to the USA and you can buy anything you want.
At fictionwise you may have to youse micropay to buy the book.
Marysart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #43
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ebook stores

I buy from:
fictionwise
Books on board

I also get books from Project Gutenberg and occasionally buy directly from a ebook publishers website when the books aren't available elsewhere.

Fictionwise has a better selection IMO than BoB, but BoB tends to have new releases faster. Gutenberg is the place to go for stuff that is out of copyright and has a huge selection.

I don't use amazon or sony sites for ebooks because I don't have a kindle or a sony reader.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #44
Stringer
Connoisseur
Stringer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2
I have used only FictionWise thus far with one exception (I bought the dictionary from MobiPocket), so I cannot really compare them much. However, what I find little bit hard with FW is the search algorithms. I mean there is tens of thousands books, and yet still (or maybe because of it) it is very hard to find books that attract me enough to make the actual transaction. For some reason it thinks that if one person gives a good rating, then it should be put to the top at the highest ratings list. Those books that have hundreds of ratings, fall below those single rating books because there is always someone who gives less good rating no matter how good the book is. Also, best selling definitely ain't the best quality, because most of those are more or less boring to read. So, there is only one way to find the book you want: manually search through them all.

Well, FW has quite nice search engine with ability to narrow price, category, keywords and even book's publishing date. Book length should be also there (which is not currently) and why on earth does it has to disable the search button after one search? Now, if you can see with one look that the search didn't produce what you wanted and would like to modify a search parameter, you will have to open the search again and input all variables again. If you try to go back, you might notice that you cannot press the search button.

Anyway, I would appreciate a good search program and reliable recommendations much more than few cent discounts.
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, store