Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Advice before I take the plunge

I've had an old Ebookman 1150 for a while now but I'm pretty set on upgrading to a Sony Reader, especially for the ability to read comics, but I have a small question.

I've read on these forums and at a few other places on the net about issues with the screen breaking/locking up and Sony claiming it to be due to damage caused by the user and not repairing them under warranty. Was this to do with a certain production batch or is it random? I'm based in NZ (soon to be Thailand) and I don't want to shell out big bucks on one of these only to play Russian Roulette and wind up with a $350 paperweight.

Any advice would be appreciated before I whip out old faithful (my credit card) and give her a hammering.

Cheers.
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Reader's screen is pretty tough. I certainly don't think it's going to break in normal use. I've certainly read extremely few reports of it on this forum, and in all cases I think it's been due to physical damage on journeys, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
There have also been a few reports of the screens just quitting, though (no damage, just ceasing to function). Not very many, mind you, but a few. If you are ordering it from a place/person that is willing to open the box and make sure the thing turns on etc. that might be a good idea to request.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
There are bad units in any given production run. Most are caught in quality control/testing. Given the sales numbers we think the Reader has had and even judging by the number here at MobileRead, the percentage that are bad from the factory is very, very low. Most of the damage seems to be caused by users breaking the screen or by shippers damaging the unit in transit.

I have in the the past gotten computer parts that did not work, stereos that did not play, and telephones that would not ring. Over the years this number has declined greatly. Follow NatCh's advice and you should be OK.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I can tell you I have dropped mine at least 3 or 4 times and have had no damage.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's actually one benefit of the Reader not having a touch sensitive screen. The screen is a lot tougher than the delicate touch-sensitive membrane that you find on Pocket PCs, Palms, etc.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
I can tell you I have dropped mine at least 3 or 4 times and have had no damage.
That's good news, but I gotta know: from what height and onto what surface?

When I dropped mine from the top of the Empire State Building onto the sidewalk, it would not work at all.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have a bad habit of falling asleep while reading, and I often wake up in the morning to find the Reader on the floor beside the bed. Luckily, thus far I've avoided getting out of bed and standing on it .
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
That's actually one benefit of the Reader not having a touch sensitive screen. The screen is a lot tougher than the delicate touch-sensitive membrane that you find on Pocket PCs, Palms, etc.
...or Iliad for that fact.

@mlkmnz
Go ahead, jump in! Just be sure that you have an exit door. Buy new and choose a reseller that can offer you an exchange or repair option.
The reader is an extremely sturdy device. The horror stories are quite rare. You have more chances to die in a car accident. Phew!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Harry, Post reports on how it holds up with your weight standing on it
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
When I dropped mine from the top of the Empire State Building onto the sidewalk, it would not work at all.
Oh, you did not! Everyone knows the wind at the top of the ESB catches things and brings them back to the roof!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmnz
I've had an old Ebookman 1150 for a while now but I'm pretty set on upgrading to a Sony Reader, especially for the ability to read comics, but I have a small question.

I've read on these forums and at a few other places on the net about issues with the screen breaking/locking up and Sony claiming it to be due to damage caused by the user and not repairing them under warranty.

Cheers.
If you are worried, I think that the 2-year accidental damage plan is only $45. They might not ship it back to NZ if you needed to send it for repairs, but for me the availability of that plan helped clinch the decision (that and 10% off for borders, $20 in borders rewards, and the $50 in free ebooks, which apparently is back!)
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ
Harry, Post reports on how it holds up with your weight standing on it
Believe me, if I stood on it there wouldn't be a lot left of it. The expression "sylph like" is rarely applied to my physique .
Old 03-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #14
mlkmnz
Enthusiast
mlkmnz began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony Reader
Cool thanks for all your feedback guys. What the hell, I'm going to go all in :P
mlkmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:34 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It will be all to your pleasure!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote