Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
atomy
atomy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Post Custom Dictionary (Malayalam to English)

Hi all!

There's a movie being made adapted from a book (Aadujeevitham) in my mother-tongue (malayalam) so I wanted to read it. Because I was brought up outside of India, my reading abilities are not as good as I'd like them to be, so I just wanted to share what I did to make a custom dictionary for myself so I could select any malayalam word and get the english definition. I was searching for a solution myself and I wasn't able to find one, especially since Kindle Previewer blocks exports for Indian/Arabic langauges.

(This blog post by Jake McCrary was very helpful to me in the process https://jakemccrary.com/blog/2020/11...le-dictionary/)

1. I converted the epub to a txt file (so this isn't a dictionary of every word, just the words in the book)
2. did some regex to get rid of special characters, empty lines, english words, and duplicates.
3. I pasted it all into a spreadsheet and uploaded the spreadsheet to google translate.
4. I merged the contents of both the spreadsheets and added some columns so I could have the following format (additional details in the blog post above)
<idx:entry name="default" scriptable="yes" spell="yes">
<h5><dt><idxrth>WORD HERE</idxrth></dt></h5>
<dd>DEFINITION</dd>
</idx:entry>
<hr/>

After following the rest of the guide, I hit a snag, which was that the Kindle Previewer app wouldn't let me export since I was using Indian languages in the file. Surprisingly though, just by changing the <DictionaryInLanguage> to english, it worked (even thought the in language would actually be malayalam).

I know this is a niche use-case, since most languages already have language-to-english dictionaries, but I couldn't find one for malayalam (and i think this might be the case for some other languages too). Hope this helps someone in the future that's trying to read a book in language they're not entirely familiar with.

The book I'm reading has also been translated to English as Goat Days, so check it out if you're interested
atomy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aadujeevitham, dictionary, indian, malayalam