Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
jhuynh
Enthusiast
jhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Sleep cover issue

I assume this isn't normal behaviour but I wanted to see if this bug is happening to anyone else or not. This only happens after I've used the sleep cover to put the Glo to sleep and come back to read a few hours later. I noticed that my Glo will wake up fine but then about a minute later it will go back to sleep while I'm in the middle of reading the first page. I can use the power button to bring it back and it then works fine for the rest of the time I'm reading.

Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? I've only had this for a week or so but it's really annoying me. What troubleshooting steps can I do to see if I can fix this behaviour? I believe I have 2.3.1 on the Glo.
jhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
It happens to me too. As far as I know, it's been a bug since the Glo was released.

ETA: As a work-around, I have now trained myself to open the Glo cover, page back, page forward, read.

Last edited by treadlightly; 01-03-2013 at 09:02 AM.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
jhuynh
Enthusiast
jhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of lightjhuynh is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the quick reply to my question! I'm glad it's not just me. I'll try to remember about flipping the pages before I start reading but hopefully they fix this bug.
jhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #4
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yeah; it seems like it's a significantly shorter time-out when opened an nothing on the screen is touched; it's certainly shorter than the time it takes to read a page.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yes this happens, due to making sure if it opens and you're not there it'll go back to sleep; I wouldn't really call it a bug. If you touch the screen (just bring up the menu) it will not go back to sleep. It is a good idea for that reason.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #6
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesslynne View Post
Yes this happens, due to making sure if it opens and you're not there it'll go back to sleep; I wouldn't really call it a bug. If you touch the screen (just bring up the menu) it will not go back to sleep. It is a good idea for that reason.
Not sure if this is a feature deliberately put in place by Kobo. Most, if not all, sleep covers have some sort of a strap to keep it closed. As far as I'm concerned, this is a bug. Took me a while to remember to tap the device after waking it to prevent going back to sleep. Guess I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I wouldn't consider it a feature unless the timeout was changed to a few minutes, or at least enough time to read the page. As it is, I believe it is a bug.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
Jesslynne
Zealot

I'm not sure which sleep cover you have Kobokobe but the Kobo Sleep covers do not have a strap, so it is possible for it to fall open by itself depending on circumstance/situation unforseen.

I would agree that the time out time should be longer than it is, however to save battery power it's not so much a nuisance to touch the screen upon waking.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
I'm not aware of any sleep covers released by Kobo, but all of the sleep covers sold by Chapters/Indigo (as of a month or two ago) had some sort of a mechanism to keep it closed, be it a strap or a clasp or whatever.

Edit: I thought the Kobo covers at Chapters/Indigo were 3rd party covers, and not released directly by Kobo.

Last edited by kobokobe; 01-04-2013 at 01:16 AM.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Jesslynne
Zealot

I work at a Chapters store. No sleep cover we sell has any clasp/elastic to keep the cover closed, and the only sleep cover we sell is Kobo made.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I work at a Chapters store. No sleep cover we sell has any clasp/elastic to keep the cover closed, and the only sleep cover we sell is Kobo made.
Which of the Kobo sleep covers do you stock? I have the grey fabric one for my Glo, and it has an elastic band to keep it closed. The real leather one has a band with a magnetic clasp. And all the pictures of the PU "leather" sleep covers show the same elastic band as the fabric one.

eta: is it possible you're looking at the Kobo Mini covers instead?

Last edited by meeera; 01-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
Jesslynne
Zealot

Sorry, I think I might be.. Now that I recall that I'd forgotten that the Glo's case does have an elastic that blends in fairly well with the inside cover color if I don't pay that much attention to it.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I bought my Kobo-branded Sleepcover (says so right on the back of the Sleepcover) at the Chapters store in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. It most certainly does have an elastic strap to keep the cover closed. It's the same covers that are for sale on Indigo.ca (Chapters and Indigo are the same company); I have the one in heather grey, and like it very much: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/ereading/accessories/Glo-Fabric-SleepCover-Heather-Grey/681495000296-item.html
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuynh View Post
I assume this isn't normal behaviour but I wanted to see if this bug is happening to anyone else or not. This only happens after I've used the sleep cover to put the Glo to sleep and come back to read a few hours later. I noticed that my Glo will wake up fine but then about a minute later it will go back to sleep while I'm in the middle of reading the first page. I can use the power button to bring it back and it then works fine for the rest of the time I'm reading.

Is this happening to anyone else or is it just me? I've only had this for a week or so but it's really annoying me. What troubleshooting steps can I do to see if I can fix this behaviour? I believe I have 2.3.1 on the Glo.
This happened to me too for a while - and then things changed : apparently for a reason !
Here's how : I bought a Kobo Glo from the Fnac ( a sort of French megastore) and their logo was used on the Glo screen saver, I also bought a PU sleep cover (and am very happy with that).

Not only did I not enjoy being a walking advertisement for the Fnac but it seems that when an affiliate screen saver is used one doesn't have access to the menu item where you have the option to use a book cover as the screen saver. So I looked around and finally found here on the French forum how to get rid of the logo and lo ! the missing menu item appeared AND I no longer had the problem mentioned in the OP.
Not only that, but previously when I put the Glo to sleep with the Glo light on, when I woke it up again the light was off - now it is on when I wake it up.

Don't ask me to explain ...
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure which sleep cover you have Kobokobe but the Kobo Sleep covers do not have a strap, so it is possible for it to fall open by itself depending on circumstance/situation unforseen.

I would agree that the time out time should be longer than it is, however to save battery power it's not so much a nuisance to touch the screen upon waking.
The thing uses so little power as is, who really needs to save a couple minutes (seconds?) of battery life.

My impression of the Glo magnet cover was that it auto powers on and off when you open/close the cover. If I have to take some additional steps, I would rather have the reliability of the switch.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote