Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Apart from having a bit of fun at starrlamia's expense (hopefully they weren't offended), I think they made a very valid point. I was delighted when I first got my reader, but was soon disappointed by the number of errors and formatting problems that I discovered in free e-books. Anything that distracts the reader from the story, spoils the reading experience. Whilst I'm willing to tolerate it in a freebie, it wouldn't be acceptable in anything that I had to pay for. At the very least, I would expect there to be some path for feeding back errors to the author/publisher. I would expect my comments to be welcomed and hopefully acknowledged. Is this what other people here have experienced?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #17
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Apart from having a bit of fun at starrlamia's expense (hopefully they weren't offended), I think they made a very valid point. I was delighted when I first got my reader, but was soon disappointed by the number of errors and formatting problems that I discovered in free e-books. Anything that distracts the reader from the story, spoils the reading experience. Whilst I'm willing to tolerate it in a freebie, it wouldn't be acceptable in anything that I had to pay for. At the very least, I would expect there to be some path for feeding back errors to the author/publisher. I would expect my comments to be welcomed and hopefully acknowledged. Is this what other people here have experienced?
Its ok, I am not overly concerned with random people on the internet not liking my lack of effort in spelling, grammar and punctuation. I don’t exactly judge a person's point or opinion based on how well they did in English classes or how often they choose to use a spell checker.
However, if I am buying a book or something that is supposed to be professionally written, unless it is part of the writer's style/story, I do expect to pay for something that has been edited and spell checked and not be so full of errors that it’s hard to read.

I am aware there is an edit button (sort of), I’m used to a forum that doesn’t have one, and I don’t think there is much of a point in editing something that I find mistakes in hours later and in which people have already read and pointed out.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #18
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
At the very least, I would expect there to be some path for feeding back errors to the author/publisher. I would expect my comments to be welcomed and hopefully acknowledged. Is this what other people here have experienced?
I provide that type of feedback in reviews, and, generally, it's been appreciated. I think one of the advantages of digital media is that it's relatively easy to fix and redistribute with very little (if any) cost. Of course, those who bought when it was riddled with errors may be stuck, unless it's a Smashwords purchase. I love that you can go back and download later versions if you already "own" the book- any other services do that?

I fully expect any published book to be well-edited, freebie or not. An error or two can be found in any professionally edited book, but pages of errors should not, even in peer-edited books.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #19
meromana
Zealot
meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.meromana can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: my laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
I am aware there is an edit button (sort of), I’m used to a forum that doesn’t have one, and I don’t think there is much of a point in editing something that I find mistakes in hours later and in which people have already read and pointed out.
Interesting. I'm just the opposite. If I see an error in a post I made, I'm appalled. I don't care how many people have already seen it, I'll be darned if even one more is going to. Plus I know it's going to sit there and potentially be viewed for years to come. I can't get it fixed fast enough!

Call me vain...

--Maria
meromana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meromana View Post
Interesting. I'm just the opposite. If I see an error in a post I made, I'm appalled. I don't care how many people have already seen it, I'll be darned if even one more is going to. Plus I know it's going to sit there and potentially be viewed for years to come. I can't get it fixed fast enough!

Call me vain...

--Maria
I'm with you. I am mortified if I see a spelling error in one of my posts.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:

Call me vain...

--Maria
Vain, too!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
... use a spell checker ...
Presumably the wizard Harry Potter uses a spell checker.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
In general, I expect anything that is free to be worth exactly what I paid for it.

YMMV.

Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #24
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Call me vain...
But not late for supper, presumably.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #25
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Some are worse than others, but I have yet to read any ebook (free or paid for) that hasn't had a lot of mistake in it. I usually send a list of them to the writer if they are contactable, but most don't seem to be interested. One even took it as a criticism of his book.
Argh! That is so annoying. As an author, you have an obligation to publish the best work possible. If you're an indie author, it's harder to get your book just right because you don't have editors and proofreaders on staff. But you have to do it because as an indie author, you're already battling against the bad reputation that comes with self-publishing. In other words, if you want to play with the big boys, don't ignore constructive criticism. (Yes, "Your spelling and grammar suck" can be considered constructivce criticism. )
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
If you're an indie author, it's harder to get your book just right because you don't have editors and proofreaders on staff.
Hah! I've found factual errors in enough books where someone was paid good money as its "editor"!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #27
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4kix View Post
As a writer I would want to know if there are mistakes in my book (errors never seem to appear on the computer screen, but jump off the page in the printed version!) They are easy to rectify in an e-book and the writer should thank you for pointing them out (and should correct them). Unfortunately, some of the Indie authors rush to publish before their books are ready and this can give Indie books a bad name.
I hope you will continue to point out errors, perhaps saying that you feel the author would like to know.
Lately, I have been reading a lot of indie book samples to find some more YA paranormal. Some have looked great, better than I expected, and I've bought several. Several several. But some weren't too promising -- usually dull or clunky. And of course, I have seen some with errors that just shouldn't have been there. I was barely two pages into an indie book (one of the freebies) when I came across the line "New Disciple’s thought the world was ending every time a demon passed nearby." I gave up right there. Is it really so much to know how to write a plural? I had other issues with the style in general, but that really annoyed me. Although it sounded as if it could be interesting, I gave up and archived the book. I read a discussion on Goodreads where the other responded to a review with similar issues and promised to fix the grammar on later editions. I hope the version I downloaded wasn't the "fixed" version.

Yes, I have seen print books with errors. For example, I picked up a fantasy novel from a major publisher that mentioned something about wizards fighting a "dual" on the first page. But I don't see that sort of thing as often in print books because of the editing processing.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 AM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
You see it in fan fictions online a lot as well. Just recently I saw an error where a character (Ginny) takes her dress shoes out of her truck rather than her trunk. lol. Publishing on the web, either a fan fiction or an original work, is so easy that people seem to get sloppy at times with their writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Lately, I have been reading a lot of indie book samples to find some more YA paranormal. Some have looked great, better than I expected, and I've bought several. Several several. But some weren't too promising -- usually dull or clunky. And of course, I have seen some with errors that just shouldn't have been there. I was barely two pages into an indie book (one of the freebies) when I came across the line "New Disciple’s thought the world was ending every time a demon passed nearby." I gave up right there. Is it really so much to know how to write a plural? I had other issues with the style in general, but that really annoyed me. Although it sounded as if it could be interesting, I gave up and archived the book. I read a discussion on Goodreads where the other responded to a review with similar issues and promised to fix the grammar on later editions. I hope the version I downloaded wasn't the "fixed" version.

Yes, I have seen print books with errors. For example, I picked up a fantasy novel from a major publisher that mentioned something about wizards fighting a "dual" on the first page. But I don't see that sort of thing as often in print books because of the editing processing.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 AM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Groan. That's such a bad pun. I wish I'd thought of it. lol.

Quote:
Presumably the wizard Harry Potter uses a spell checker.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:59 AM   #30
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Groan. That's such a bad pun. I wish I'd thought of it. lol.
Perhaps he uses a spelling checker, too.