Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
WW II books is such a broad topic. I would say that the Atkinson books is the best of the more recent books, while the Ryan books were the best of the older books. Some of Max Hastings books are pretty good as well.

I tend to favor the tactical/strategy analysis books over the straight history books. There is a lot of Pacific War books that have been coming out recently, at least as ebooks. I really liked Lydell-Hart's WW II book, but that's not available as an ebook. Since this fall will be the 75th anniversary of the start of WW II, I hope that some of the old classics, such as Lydell-Hart's book may be re-released and converted to ebook.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Thanks, everyone! I really should snag a D-Day book -- although I didn't know it when he was alive, my uncle was in the second wave. And my mother's other brother-in-law was in the French army and a POW. (And later an escaped POW, yikes!) Dad had a brother and a brother-in-law who served in the Pacific, and a brother in the Merchant Marine.

All I've ever served was coffee.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I really should snag a D-Day book --
For D-Day specifically here are a few to consider...

The Longest Day - Cornelius Ryan
D-Day - Antony Beevor
D-Day - Stephen Ambrose
Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy - Max Hastings (no eBook AFAIK)
Omaha Beach - Joseph Balkoski
Utah Beach - Joseph Balkoski
Juno Beach Trilogy - Mark Zuehlke

Rick Atkinson has a new D-Day book coming out in May (ahead of the 70th anniversary) that might be of interest.

There's also the US Army's "Green Books" histories of WW2 . One of the titles, Cross-Channel Attack covers D-Day. They can be downloaded free as PDF's, not sure if there are ePub's out there somewhere as well or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Since this fall will be the 75th anniversary of the start of WW II, I hope that some of the old classics, such as Lydell-Hart's book may be re-released and converted to ebook.
It would be great if some more of the oldies made it to digital. Some good older stuff has been slowly making it's way to market so I'm hopeful. I'm hoping some WWI titles will be making a digital appearance soon too since August is the 100th anniversary of the start of that conflict.

BTW I'm unfamiliar with Lydell-Hart, you don't mean B.H. Liddell Hart by chance do you? If not can you point me in the right direction?

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-03-2014 at 11:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:14 AM   #19
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I liked Leon Uris' Armagedon.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
27, by William Diehl
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For D-Day specifically here are a few to consider...

The Longest Day - Cornelius Ryan
D-Day - Antony Beevor
D-Day - Stephen Ambrose
Overlord: D-Day and the Battle for Normandy - Max Hastings (no eBook AFAIK)
Omaha Beach - Joseph Balkoski
Utah Beach - Joseph Balkoski
Juno Beach Trilogy - Mark Zuehlke

Rick Atkinson has a new D-Day book coming out in May (ahead of the 70th anniversary) that might be of interest.

There's also the US Army's "Green Books" histories of WW2 . One of the titles, Cross-Channel Attack covers D-Day. They can be downloaded free as PDF's, not sure if there are ePub's out there somewhere as well or not.

It would be great if some more of the oldies made it to digital. Some good older stuff has been slowly making it's way to market so I'm hopeful. I'm hoping some WWI titles will be making a digital appearance soon too since August is the 100th anniversary of the start of that conflict.

BTW I'm unfamiliar with Lydell-Hart, you don't mean B.H. Liddell Hart by chance do you? If not can you point me in the right direction?
He's the one. Don't know why I keep wanting to spell it with a y rather than a i. Sometimes you see it hyphenated, sometimes you don't. It probably should be hyphenated since his father's name was Hart and his mother's name was Liddel. (from the old custom of using a hyphenated name when the mother was of a higher birth than the father).

I enjoyed his History of World War II, unfortunately my copy is rather battered now. It's just too thick for the cheap binding.

We are starting to see some WW I books coming out. Max Hastings just came out with Catastrophe 1914: Europe goes to War.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Hum, I heard some rumblings that both Liddel-Hart's History of the Second World War and Fuller's The Second World War, 1939-1945: A Strategical and Tactical History will be re-released this summer. Don't know if it's true, or if it will come out in ebook, but one can hope. Both are excellent books, though Fuller's 3 volume set, A Military History of the Western World, was his master work.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
The Gerald Astor's series of oral history on WWII are a good read:
  • June 6, 1944: The Voices of D-Day
  • A Blood-Dimmed Tide: The Battle of the Bulge by the Men Who Fought It
  • Operation Iceberg: The Invasion and Conquest of Okinawa in World War II
  • Crisis in the Pacific: The Battles for the Philippine Islands by the Men Who Fought Them
  • The Mighty Eighth: The Air War in Europe as Told by the Men Who Fought It
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #24
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I'm currently reading this book about the almost forgotten role played by the Polish armed forces in WWII. It's excellent and I highly recommend it.

No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067AZFBG/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Last edited by jscarbo; 04-06-2014 at 10:14 AM.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #25
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
For fiction, you could try Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series (currently nine books). Bernie Gunther is a policeman in 1930's Berlin. The series covers his career before, during and after WWII. One volume even includes the S-Bahn killer story as part of the plot.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Willi Heinrich's The Willing Flesh renamed The Cross of Iron after the film based on it. Also The Crack of Doom by the same author. Heinrich was in the German retreat from Russia.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer.

The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary. I believe this is available on Gutenberg.

One of our Bombers is Missing (originally published as Never so Young). Brennan was an American who volunteered for the RAF prior to American entry into the war, and was ruined by it.

All of it written by people who took part in WWII on both sides. Nothing by a Russian, though. Stalin probably killed them all or burned their books.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-09-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
All of it written by people who took part in WWII on both sides. Nothing by a Russian, though. Stalin probably killed them all or burned their books.
Marshal Zhukov wrote some books, and had others written about him. But you're right that there aren't many books in English dealing with the Russian side of the war.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #28
rraod
Bibliophile
rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rraod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I loved these books 35 years ago while I was in college. I still fondly remember these books.

Alistair Maclean's
Where Eagles Dare
Guns of Navarone
Force Ten from Navarone

Larry Collin's and Dominique Lapierre's
Is Paris Burning?

Cornelius Ryan's
The Longest Day
The Last Battle
A Bridge Too Far

Nicholas Monsarrat's A Cruel Sea.

Leon Uris's Exodus,.... and the list goes on and on...

I really enjoyed these books very much. These books have started an interest in me to read and know about WW2.
rraod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Agreed, Alistair Maclean's books were very good. All three were made into movies, though the books are very different (and much better) than the movies.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just as a note, I'm currently reading "The Great Escape from Stalag Luft III" by Tim Carroll. So far it's been pretty good. Not the classic that Brickhill's book is, but at least it's available as an ebook and contains much of the same information. Since it was written fairly recently, it has some new material and notes some of the differences in reality and the movie.

Tags
history (wwii), military, world war ii