Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #121
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Everyone is different, but give it some time..... You may find the iPad getting more and more of your reading
Anything's possible, but I doubt it. I just started a new Nero Wolfe novel, and I have it on both devices. The Kindle screen is much more relaxing. I already love this iPad (which I'm using right now), but when it's time to curl up with my book, I will switch over.

And I can carry both in my motorhome.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #122
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Anything's possible, but I doubt it. I just started a new Nero Wolfe novel, and I have it on both devices. The Kindle screen is much more relaxing. I already love this iPad (which I'm using right now), but when it's time to curl up with my book, I will switch over.

And I can carry both in my motorhome.
Sweet. Very cool that you can so easily take a library and the Internet on the road nowadays.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #123
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Sweet. Very cool that you can so easily take a library and the Internet on the road nowadays.
True dat!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #124
Diane B
Diane B began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
The question of whether or not someone might use an Ipad as an ebook reader or not or some other device comes down to *how much* they're going to be reading. If you ask someone who reads maybe three or four books a year - or a dozen at most - if they want to buy, say, a Kindle, they'll reasonably say it's not worth it to them. Take someone like me who'll read at least a couple of dozen a year if not considerably more, and the Kindle starts making a lot more sense. But for the former occasional reader, an Ipad is probably about right. If I could afford it, I'd have both, for different reasons.
I read a minimum of 4-5 books a month and have an Ipad. I considered a Nook because it can read library books from Overdrive (Adobe Digital Editions) with DRM. I decided on an Ipad thinking the digital libraries will have to adapt. Overdrive has announced (May 10) they are creating apps to allow this starting with Android but will include Apple devices.

I use the Ipad as my personal 'library' for news, arts, blogs and books. I have the Kindle app, Barnes and Noble (my favorite at the moment), Stanza, Kobo and of course Ibooks. I have bought some books, dled from Gutenburg project and am looking forward to being able to borrow library ebooks. I'm a very longtime PC user but my laptop and desktop sit idle for the most part except for processing photo files and some work things.
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:24 AM   #125
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
I have bought some books, dled from Gutenburg project and am looking forward to being able to borrow library ebooks.
Forgive me if you are already aware of this, but in the "Book Uploads" forum here you'll find hand-formatted versions of pretty much all the classics, which are enormously better formatted than the PG originals.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 AM   #126
Diane B
Diane B began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Forgive me if you are already aware of this, but in the "Book Uploads" forum here you'll find hand-formatted versions of pretty much all the classics, which are enormously better formatted than the PG originals.
Thanks Harry. I'm relatively new to the forum and didn't know.
Diane B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #127
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yes, you have the brightness set too high. Eye strain and fatigue in the case of emissive displays is caused predominantly by the imbalance of brightness between the center of focus (the page, screen, whatever) and its surrounding environment.
Too high? I don' think so. I set my MBP at minimum brightness. If i set it any lower it goes dark. And it's the matte version too, not the glossy version.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #128
BaenSidhe
Groupie
BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BaenSidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500 and PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm clear on the definitions of "serious." I tend to use it mockingly when people dismiss color as not for serious readers.

I happen to be a serious reader who sees the value of color for serious reading, as well as for lighter reading.
What do you read? How do you see using color for reading fiction and non-fiction that is all text? If you're thinking more books like the Pooh book with artwork on every page, I personally would rather not have it. It's a distraction that interrupts the reading trance. Images at the start of every chapter like the artwork Larry Dixon does for Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar books might be ok, but I'm not sure how they'd work in ebook format. Besides, that artwork was done in black and white. The reason why I think it might not work in an ebook is because if you can only view one page at a time, the artwork could potentially break the reader's trance. If you can view the book in two page mode, then I don't think it would be a problem - it'd be just like reading the real book.

If people are serious readers of textbooks (you're probably weird ), magazines, or comic books, etc., then yes, I can see color being important. I don't see it for books that are text only.

Bminata,

Each time I try to use iBooks to read, my eyes start to hurt. I have no problem reading from other apps like Editor's Choice or BBC, but when I look at iBooks, it's like light is stabbing my eyes. I've tried playing around with the brightness. It doesn't help. I think it might have something to do with the fact that iBooks is pretending to be a book. The middle where the spine is seems to be brighter than the edge and there are grey pixels (or whatever) interspersed throughout the page so that the page isn't really white.
BaenSidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #129
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaenSidhe View Post
What do you read? How do you see using color for reading fiction and non-fiction that is all text?
I read a lot of nonfiction -- history, investments, economics, business, astronomy, demographics, sociology, urban development, for instance. Animation and cartoons bore me, but I've got nothing against 'em. I know lots of geeky friends of my IT husband who are into manga and such, and they're plenty smart.

Much of what I read benefits from color photos, maps, charts and such. An astronomy book in black and white? You're missing lots.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-15-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM   #130
pelenor
pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pelenor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 300
Well count me as someone who had a dedicated ereader (sony PRS-505) but sold it as soon as I purchased the Ipad. Reading books on it is different at first and I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much but after converting my LRF books to Epub and loading them on the Ipad and spending some time with it, gotta say I got used to it pretty quick. Not to mention I can started reading comics again!
pelenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #131
mknopp
mknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enoughmknopp will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
I am one that was thinking about an ereader, but after getting the iPad don't care to get a dedicated ereader any more.
mknopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #132
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I would rather think they are broke (or in debt) for the unforseen future and didn't want to admit that .
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #133
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapmas77 View Post

Anyway, I'm considering to buy one.... Just need a correct reason to tell my wife.
How about 'I want to buy it and it's my money'.

I never got the paradigm of asking your girlfriend/wive/ ... if you could spend your money.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #134
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

I never got the paradigm of asking your girlfriend/wive/ ... if you could spend your money.
Are you married?
Old 07-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #135
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

You have a lot to learn about women
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote