Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #136
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
How about 'I want to buy it and it's my money'.

I never got the paradigm of asking your girlfriend/wive/ ... if you could spend your money.
Depends on the relationship. My husband and I treat it as our money, and we think very similarly about how to spend or not. I don't care if he buys a new computer or such without telling me, and vice versa. Neither of us would show up with a new car unannounced. We've moved cross-country over the years, and my husband has trusted me to buy new homes unseen by him.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:34 PM   #137
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Not if it is an Apple water pistol. They would be lining up for days before launch...
An iPistol.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #138
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
An iPistol.
And then you have to buy the iWater to use it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #139
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You have a lot to learn about women
You have to learn a lot about women and especially personal boundaries.

You don't have to ask your wife/girlfriend if you could spend your money. You don't have to ask your wife/girlfriend if you're allowed to have a poker night with your friends ...

If you have to ask for everything you're obviously wipped
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #140
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Depends on the relationship. My husband and I treat it as our money, and we think very similarly about how to spend or not. I don't care if he buys a new computer or such without telling me, and vice versa. Neither of us would show up with a new car unannounced. We've moved cross-country over the years, and my husband has trusted me to buy new homes unseen by him.
Great relationship.

Codependent relationships are the ones you have to stop immediately. Interdependence is the key to a good relationship.
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #141
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Are you married?
Does it matter?

To answer the rhetorical question. It doesn't.

You don't give 'away your power and independent needs' because you're married. And I don't accept 'I'm married' as an answer for not doing something (well, except cheating but that's not the point).

I have seen too much relationships where the man has no power at all. Out of fear of rejection he's complying to everything.

We call them 'nice guys' or 'wussies'.

That's enough off topic ...

Last edited by joblack; 07-16-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #142
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Technologies certainly do change. My first "portable" computer (a thing the size of a small suitcase) had a gas plasma display - a mono display technology which had glowing green letters on a black background. I wonder how many readers of this forum have ever even seen such a display?
The Osbourne?
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #143
aleks
Connoisseur
aleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litteraleks doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook & Sony Reader
I just bought the iPad and must say that I agree about not getting an ereader. I am not an apple fan but found that the iPad does a better job working with PDF files than any reader out there. Of course, I had to buy a 99 cent app but that is not important.

Regarding a gaming device, I again agree that I do not need to get one as the iPad will suffice for me.

Bottom line, for an ink reader that is limited in capability versus an iPad, I now prefer the iPad--the right choice for me.
aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #144
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I agree. Even before we got married, we intermingled our finances. There is no 'my money' or 'her money' but our money.

And we agreed that for small purchases, we can just go out and do it, but for larger purposes, we would check with each other. It is not so much about permission as about courtesy. And not spending enough money to overdraw the account, of course...

Quote:

You don't have to ask your wife/girlfriend if you could spend your money. You don't have to ask your wife/girlfriend if you're allowed to have a poker night with your friends ...

You don't have to ask anyone about anything. But when your lives are tied together, your plans might affect her plans and vice versa. It is courteous, and advantageous for long term success in a relationship to ask your partner before spending large amounts of money, or taking a night for yourself. It is equally courteous and advantageous for your partner to agree to such requests, unless they cause problems with other plans.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #145
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
You don't have to ask anyone about anything. But when your lives are tied together, your plans might affect her plans and vice versa. It is courteous, and advantageous for long term success in a relationship to ask your partner before spending large amounts of money, or taking a night for yourself. It is equally courteous and advantageous for your partner to agree to such requests, unless they cause problems with other plans.
It might be right to ask if the request decreases the financial assets of the partner (buying a house, car, ... on credit) but despite these exceptions I see no reason to ask if you buy a tiny hardware device like an iPad (with your own money).
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #146
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Isn't there a relationship advice forum or something this could be moved to?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #147
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Married 32 years, same spouse.

Money breaks up more marriages than infidelity. It is indeed about "courtesy" and mutual respect to discuss financial matters with your spouse when the purchase is big enough to have a material effect on your finances. In my household, several hundred bucks is enough to do that.

BTW, coming from a lower middle class background, now working for a school district, I'm constantly wowed by those who talk about buying an iPad for Dad for Father's Day or who treat a $600 expenditure as pocket change. That's big bucks in my world!

To stay on topic: Whatever ereader works for you and makes you happy is the right one.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #148
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Married 32 years, same spouse.

Money breaks up more marriages than infidelity. It is indeed about "courtesy" and mutual respect to discuss financial matters with your spouse when the purchase is big enough to have a material effect on your finances. In my household, several hundred bucks is enough to do that.

BTW, coming from a lower middle class background, now working for a school district, I'm constantly wowed by those who talk about buying an iPad for Dad for Father's Day or who treat a $600 expenditure as pocket change. That's big bucks in my world!
26 years here, and you're absolutely right about mutual respect, which might be why we've made it this long.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #149
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:

I assume you'd also be O.K. substituting "husband/boyfriend" for "wife/girlfriend" as well?

It would make for an interesting relationship..., I believe some call it "roommates."
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM   #150
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
26 years here, and you're absolutely right about mutual respect, which might be why we've made it this long.
20 years here, and I agree.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote