Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-650
numofbooks / numofauthors

Is there a way to find these sort of books:

A: Authors that do have x books, less than x books, more than x books
B: Books that have y authors, less than y authors, more than y authors

B is maybe possible with regexp, but I do not know how I can search over the & character?
drMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sort the Tag Browser by popularity for A.
There is no way to do B. You can make sql queries against metadata.db using any sql viewer program instead.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
drMerry
Addict
drMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmosdrMerry has become one with the cosmos

thanks

Even so, I will need to use sql for the next I think?

C: Authors with books in language x.

(In that case, I would like the return of all books by that authors, e.g. so I can tag the books without language set)
Old 09-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Use a search restriction for that. Restrict to language x and the Tag Browser will show only the authors with books that have that language.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved out from the development forum. Please see the sticky there.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use a search restriction for that. Restrict to language x and the Tag Browser will show only the authors with books that have that language.
Yes, that is an option for finding the books.
But I was looking for something else:

I want to select the AUTHORS that do have books in language X

E.g.

Author 1 book a Lang X
Author 1 book b Lang Y
Author 1 book c Lang Y
Author 2 Book d Lang Y
Author 3 Book e Lang x
Author 3 Book f Lang x
Author 3 Book g Lang (NONE)

If I search for authors wilt lang x, I would get book a, b, c (author 1) and e, f, g (author 3) as return.

In the case of Author 3, I do see 3 books with lang x and 1 without lang. It is than more easy to assign the lang (most likely book g is in lang x)
Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Moved out from the development forum. Please see the sticky there.
I think it is in the right place. It are questions about functions for developing plugins...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drMerry View Post
I think it is in the right place. It are questions about functions for developing plugins...
That may be. But a) that's not clear, as the thread discusses both GUI functionality or third-party tools, and b) it doesn't discuss Calibre code, APIs, coding techniques or anything of the kind. Thus: Moved.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes, that is an option for finding the books.
But I was looking for something else:

I want to select the AUTHORS that do have books in language X

E.g.

Author 1 book a Lang X
Author 1 book b Lang Y
Author 1 book c Lang Y
Author 2 Book d Lang Y
Author 3 Book e Lang x
Author 3 Book f Lang x
Author 3 Book g Lang (NONE)

If I search for authors wilt lang x, I would get book a, b, c (author 1) and e, f, g (author 3) as return.

In the case of Author 3, I do see 3 books with lang x and 1 without lang. It is than more easy to assign the lang (most likely book g is in lang x)
If you set a Restrict to filter on Language, All you see in the Tag Browser IS those that make it past the Filter.

Step 1: pick the Language in the Tag Browser.
Step 2: Set the Restrict to filter to "*Current Search"
Step 3: Set to Sort by popularity (at the bottom)
Expand Authors
and Presto: the Count of Each Author Shows (in descending order)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If you set a Restrict to filter on Language, All you see in the Tag Browser IS those that make it past the Filter.

Step 1: pick the Language in the Tag Browser.
Step 2: Set the Restrict to filter to "*Current Search"
Step 3: Set to Sort by popularity (at the bottom)
Expand Authors
and Presto: the Count of Each Author Shows (in descending order)
Well, this won't result in the list I'm asking for.
This will show a list of books in language x.
I do want a list of authors writing in language x (and their books)
so, if I search for authors_language:"=x", I want a, b, c, e, f, g to be returned.

Authors 1 and 3 do write in x.
Books a, b, c, e, f, g are written by 1 and 3.
books b, c and g are not in language x, but while they are written by 1 or 3, I want those books also to be returned...

(this makes it easy for me to, for example assign book g the language x)
This search-function could also return book g:
authors_language:"=x" and language:false

So, seeing the reactions, I think I will have to write an sql-query...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #11
drMerry
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
That may be. But a) that's not clear, as the thread discusses both GUI functionality or third-party tools, and b) it doesn't discuss Calibre code, APIs, coding techniques or anything of the kind. Thus: Moved.
NP
Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well, this won't result in the list I'm asking for.
This will show a list of books in language x.
I do want a list of authors writing in language x (and their books)
so, if I search for authors_language:"=x", I want a, b, c, e, f, g to be returned.

Authors 1 and 3 do write in x.
Books a, b, c, e, f, g are written by 1 and 3.
books b, c and g are not in language x, but while they are written by 1 or 3, I want those books also to be returned...

(this makes it easy for me to, for example assign book g the language x)
This search-function could also return book g:
authors_language:"=x" and language:false

So, seeing the reactions, I think I will have to write an sql-query...
Yikes, you want a inner join linked on the first search.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There is no way to do B. You can make sql queries against metadata.db using any sql viewer program instead.
Kovid, isn't that just 'authors:#=<n>' and friends? Seems to do what he wants, if I understand correctly (find books with <n> authors, in this case).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Didn't he want number of authors for books of a specific language? That will give him the list of books that have n authors. But maybe that's what he wants.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
drMerry
Addict

authors:#=<n>

That's what I was looking for for A and B.
I knew calibre had advanced options I could not remember

But Kovid's last reaction is true for C.

I have made some other queries to find some more info.

Does one of you know how to put this in a plugin?

I did make these queries:
# of books per tag (already available in browser)
# of tags per book (the mentioned search will show this)
# tags per author.
Not available yet (as far as I know)

The sql I use is:

Code:
SELECT authors.name, COUNT(DISTINCT books_tags_link.tag) AS NumberOfTags
FROM books_tags_link INNER JOIN books_authors_link
ON books_tags_link.book = books_authors_link.book JOIN authors
ON authors.id = books_authors_link.author
GROUP BY authors.name
ORDER BY NumberOfTags
How can I put this in a plugin?