Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Marianne527
Marianne527 began at the beginning.

Device: none
PLugins not working

Been using Calibre without a problem. Last month, I started using AVG, Calibre was still working fine. I updated a few days ago to the newest Calibre verison ( I hadn't updated in a while). And now the Plugins won't work. It says :
ERROR: Update Check Failed: Unable to reach the plugin index page.

http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/plugins.json.bz2

I also can not get meta info.

I tried going back a version but that didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.
Marianne527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Have you tried to reboot?
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds as if AVG is treating the new Calibre as if it were a new program and blocking it from the Internet. If you have to tell AVG to let calibre.exe (and calibre-parallel.exe) access the internet.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne527 View Post
Been using Calibre without a problem. Last month, I started using AVG, Calibre was still working fine. I updated a few days ago to the newest Calibre verison ( I hadn't updated in a while). And now the Plugins won't work. It says :
ERROR: Update Check Failed: Unable to reach the plugin index page.

http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/plugins.json.bz2

I also can not get meta info.

I tried going back a version but that didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you.
Free AVG causes me no grief.
Full (paid) AVG does more so you probably need to whitelist Calibre.exe in the firewall.

Meanwile, you can still use the Manual PI install procedure:
Download the desired PI to a folder (do NOT unzip)
Preferences:Plugins: LOAD FROM FILE (button)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Marianne527
Marianne527 began at the beginning.

Things I have tried:
I have rebooted and made Calibre an exception in AVG.
Still not working.
I tried downloading a plugin (Attached Files File Type: zip anobi0.4.2.zip ) but it saves it as .PHP. Calibre doesn't see it.
Marianne527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Re downloading the PI - how did you do the download, MR does not support some (all ??) download managers - download direct via Save Link/Target.

But that doesn't solve you're problem. As theducks said you need to whitelist list calibre in the AVG firewall - assuming that's what you use.

If AVG will allow it then you could turn the firewall off to do a test.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you are using Internet Explorer, you may need to put MobileRead into compatibility view.

Or download a better browser (biased opinion here ).

Either way, you *could* manually change the name of the download to plugin.zip, as either way it is the same file just your browser/downloader didn't recognize the signal to change the name from attachment.php to the correct name.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
As Mr. Schwartz has said , if using Internet Explorer just put MobileRead.com into the compatibility view settings under Tools on the IE menu bar. This usually fixes MobileRead's current serving problem with file naming.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote