Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #151
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Yesterday I got an epub and converted it to a kepub.epub. The device did not remember the last opened page and opened the book always with the first page. When I navigated via the TOC menu, annotations and highligths did not show and it was not possible to insert new ones.
This was caused by the url-encoding of the filenames in the toc.ntx. The filenames followed the pattern "CR!Ssomething_split_000.html", whearas the references in the toc.ntx followed the pattern CR%21S_split_000.html". After changing "%21" to "!" everything went fine.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #152
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Yesterday I got an epub and converted it to a kepub.epub. The device did not remember the last opened page and opened the book always with the first page. When I navigated via the TOC menu, annotations and highligths did not show and it was not possible to insert new ones.
This was caused by the url-encoding of the filenames in the toc.ntx. The filenames followed the pattern "CR!Ssomething_split_000.html", whearas the references in the toc.ntx followed the pattern CR%21S_split_000.html". After changing "%21" to "!" everything went fine.
Can you please submit a Github bug report for this?
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #153
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but a workaround could be to add tho the plug-in an option so any user can select the Js file from his computer, so you don't need to redistribute it, but everyone can legally (I think) take a free kepub from kobo, extract the JS file and point the plug-in to it.

It should work if the file is the same in every kepub.
The only concern is whether this counts as "aiding distribution of copyrighted content" and if that is legal. If this were a generic ePub plugin that just so happened to do Kobo-ification and also just so happened to allow adding arbitrary scripts, that would clearly be allowed, but this plugin would have no purpose for that other than loading Kobo-specific scripts. I've not been able (yet) to get a clear answer on that. If it turns out that it isn't, I'd be happy to add such an option. I can read the Canadian law again, but I would appreciate it if anyone more familiar with American law could comment on this from an American perspective. The legalities of other countries would be appreciated too, but Canadian and American are the ones that affect me directly.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #154
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Can you please submit a Github bug report for this?
It is not a bug of the plug-in! I should have clarified that I did not use your plug-in. I just wanted to share that the kepub rendering engine does not like this kind of url-encoding. I did not test it, but this encoding might probably create the same problems with a normal epub.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #155
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Oh, sorry about that

Looks like something I should make sure the plugin handles... since I'm in there editing stuff anyway.
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #156
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but a workaround could be to add tho the plug-in an option so any user can select the Js file from his computer, so you don't need to redistribute it, but everyone can legally (I think) take a free kepub from kobo, extract the JS file and point the plug-in to it.

It should work if the file is the same in every kepub.

Should it not first be established whether the kobo.js has any effect on reading the book on a Touch/Glo/Mini? Did anybody see a epub.kepub that did not work in any way, added then the js and can confirm that something improved?
Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #157
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

I had a report on Github that it does work. If anyone wants to confirm this or demonstrate that this actually doesn't work, it would be good to have more than one person's report.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #158
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I had a report on Github that it does work. If anyone wants to confirm this or demonstrate that this actually doesn't work, it would be good to have more than one person's report.
I would really like to see one example that shows that the js does anything!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #159
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
I would really like to see one example that shows that the js does anything!
I see that the js file is named "kobo-android.js" which just might be a clue that it is only used by the Android version of Kobo's reader as used, for instance, on Tablets rather than the Linux based Ereaders. Same goes for the "kobo-android.css" file also found in some Kepubs.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #160
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Now that is interesting, I wonder if they pack different files for the different apps. The file that I was given (and since discarded) was simply named "kobo.js". Does anyone have a kepub downloaded by the Kobo Desktop app to their reader that can check?
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #161
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now that is interesting, I wonder if they pack different files for the different apps. The file that I was given (and since discarded) was simply named "kobo.js". Does anyone have a kepub downloaded by the Kobo Desktop app to their reader that can check?
Although I do have an Android Tablet it's incompatible with the Kobo app so all the Kepubs I have downloaded have either been via the Desktop or using Wi-Fi on the touch itself. I've checked through them to find a title (they are all free) and both The Return of Sherlock Homes by Conan Doyle and The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad have the "android" js and css files. Both books are Gutenberg sourced by Kobo.

HTH

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 03-11-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #162
tshering
Wizard

The few kepubs that I have are all downloaded via the Desktop Application. The all contain kobo.js. They date from January 2012. The function turnOnNightMode seems to make no sense for the Touch. Functions like goBack(), goForward() seem to be so basic that it is hard to imagine how the reading engine (provided that it is depending on these js functions) can handle those things if the kobo.js is not included, and it certainly does.
Note: I cannot see any copyright notice concerning these js-files.

Last edited by tshering; 03-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #163
BobC
Guru

FWIW I have now done a diff on a kobo-android.js and a kobo.js extracted from different books. The files are identical. Both 5,506 bytes.

Looks like it's just a naming issue. It might be an interesting exercise to cobble up a kepub with some Javascript in it to see if the Touch/Glo's rendering engine actually can execute Javascript.

BobC
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #164
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Under Canadian copyright law, so far as I understand it, as a party to the Berne Convention no copyright notice is needed as required by the "copyright must be automatic" clause. I'm not a lawyer, that's my interpretation, but if I'm right that would mean that very similar restrictions are in place for all other Berne Convention signatories, which is a respectable portion of the world. As far as I'm aware, again my own interpretations, the default copyright applied if not otherwise declared is "All Rights Reserved", which prohibits redistribution.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:08 AM   #165
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I just wanted to share that the kepub rendering engine does not like this kind of url-encoding. I did not test it, but this encoding might probably create the same problems with a normal epub.
It seems epub don't have problems with this encoding.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo