Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Updating those embarrassing references

F. Paul Wilson's first Repairman Jack novel, "The Tomb, was published in 1984. He then updated some references in the 2004 edition and, (I think) slightly revised some of the text to better fit into a more mature vision for that character.

I'm including two brief excerpts each from both versions. See if you can spot the differences that 20 years can make:

1984 edition

Repairman Jack awoke with light in his eyes, white noise in his ears, and an ache in his back.

He had fallen asleep on the couch in the spare bedroom where he kept his Betamax and projection tv. He turned his head toward the set. A nervous tweed pattern buzzed around on the six-foot screen while the air conditioner in the right half of the double window beside it worked full blast to keep the room at seventy.

Jack allowed Kusum to lead him out the front door. As he left, he waved to Julio, who was setting up his infamous “FREE LUNCH: $2.50” sign.

2004 edition

Repairman Jack awoke with light in his eyes, white noise in his ears, and an ache in his back.

He had fallen asleep on the couch in the spare bedroom where he kept his Betamax and projection tv. He turned his head toward the set. A nervous tweed pattern buzzed around on the six-foot screen while the air conditioner in the right half of the double window beside it worked full blast to keep the room at seventy.

Jack allowed Kusum to lead him out the front door. As he left, he waved to Julio, who was setting up his infamous sign, Free Lunch: $5.00. Right under the Free Beer … Tomorrow sign.

The earlier edition was marketed as a horror novel (as was the author). The cover showcases these promotionl elements. The later edition seems to be marketed as more of a thriller. (I'm not too thrilled with that cover, by the way, which appears to my eyes to be rather bland.) The fact is that the bottom had fallen out of the horror market years earlier and was now seen - and is still perhaps seen even now - as a ghetto market, as something to be avoided unless you wanted your writing career to go nowhere. This may be an arguable consideration in today's market, as well.

If you have an old piece of writing from years earlier, you may wish to go back and update references to that 1984 Apple Macintosh computer (think 'Seinfeld'), unless it is important as a period piece or sheds light on the character.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thetomb.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	107398   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Tomb 2004.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	107399   Click image for larger version

Name:	applemacintosh.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	107400  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-27-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I wonder why he kept the Betamax reference in 2004? Wasn't that a dead format in the US as well by then?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I wonder why he kept the Betamax reference in 2004? Wasn't that a dead format in the US as well by then?

I once owned a Betamax and a two VHS recorders. The Betamax was far superior (in my judgement) to the VHS counterpart. Unfortunately, the recording time was limited. Back then, one of the important elements to owning a recorder was time-shifting, which I regularly did for the news programs.

According to Wiki, by the 1980, "...JVC's VHS format controlled 70% of the North American market."

It is interesting that he would choose the Betamax, but given the character's love of old horror films - a passion that the author perhaps shared? - maybe that was the recorder of choice.

....But, I'm just guessing.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, interesting he double the price of the free lunch but left the projection TV/Betamax. Not sure I understand the why in that at all.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote