Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #1
b3ta
Enthusiast
b3ta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Glo firmware 4.28.18220

Does anyone have this file - or better, know a download location? I've been trying to put it on my Mini but the most recent Glo firmware won't work. In my searching I see that people that have mentioned being able to do this were using 4.28.18220 (this was a year or more ago). I thought it might be worth trying to use the older Glo firmware (it seems https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html don't keep previous versions).

On another note, anyone know why I've now got dozens of 'part' and jpg files all of a sudden?

Thanks.
b3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
h3ct0r
h3ct0r began at the beginning.

Device: glo hd
Here you go, scoll down you'll find it there

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofi...ction-versions
h3ct0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2023, 08:33 AM   #3
h3ct0r
h3ct0r began at the beginning.

Device: glo hd
Click the versions link or scroll right down and press the "show" box all of the versions will appear
h3ct0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:41 PM   #4
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3ct0r View Post
Click the versions link or scroll right down and press the "show" box all of the versions will appear
Ah, sorry. When I said they don't keep older versions, I meant the links to the older versions all come up as 'Invalid URL'.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:59 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ta View Post
Ah, sorry. When I said they don't keep older versions, I meant the links to the older versions all come up as 'Invalid URL'.
Here's a valid link to the kobo4 version you are looking for.

https://cdn.kobo.com/downloads/firmw...4.28.18220.zip
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2023, 03:20 PM   #6
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here's a valid link to the kobo4 version you are looking for.

https://cdn.kobo.com/downloads/firmw...4.28.18220.zip
Excellent! Thank you.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ta View Post
Excellent! Thank you.
I used the valid and invalid URLs to cobble together a valid URL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 05:14 PM   #8
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Nice!

Seems this may also be a non-starter though. After going round in circles trying to set it up using Kobo Desktop (as wifi didn't work) I tried wifi again- successfully this time - only to get stuck at

"Checking for updates. Please be patient. This may take a moment. Your eReader is up to date!"

It just sits on that screen. Doing a manual reset just starts the process over & gets stuck at this point. Won't move on.

Glad this isn't my main reader!!
Old 10-10-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You shouldn't need either Wi-Fi or Kobo Desktop. Connect the Glo to your PC, extract KoboRoot.tgz from the zip file, and move it to the .kobo folder on your Glo. Eject the Glo, and it should immediately start updating itself.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:03 AM   #10
b3ta
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You shouldn't need either Wi-Fi or Kobo Desktop. Connect the Glo to your PC, extract KoboRoot.tgz from the zip file, and move it to the .kobo folder on your Glo. Eject the Glo, and it should immediately start updating itself.
Connecting it to my laptop gets it off that screen (where it's been all night), but just takes it to the 'Welcome to Kobo!' screen. I'm not sure what I've done (previously I couldn't tap the 'Connect to Desktop' as it was inactive, so I unzipped that file directly to the Micro SD card plugged into my laptop). At this point I've tried the Mini and Glo firmwares a couple of times, but even the old Mini firmware won't work correctly now.
Old 10-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Ugh, I'm going to have to test the old links and update them where necessary.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Ugh, I'm going to have to test the old links and update them where necessary.
Ah, they just completely got rid of Akamai in favour of Cloudflare. I've updated all the links.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote