Notices

Old 10-02-2023, 03:23 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo and Android tablet?

Hello to All,

I will be staying a couple of months in a city with a lending library with Ebooks which I would like to be able to borrow. I will have only an Android Tablet (running Android 11) and my Kobo Forma. I hope to be able to use only these two items to borrow and read these ebooks. Is this possible?

I have a Dropbox account on the tablet and on the Kobo Forma and hoped to download to the tablet and transfer to the Forma. I have not been able to do this up to now.

I thought that I could download an application for Android by ADE, but this failed as the only version I could find on the web was too old to function on Android 11. Is there some other solution to this?

I have attempted to borrow a book from the library but the book downloaded was in DRM format and I was unable to place it on the Kobo.

Thank you for any advice,
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 04:19 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
The Kobo app on Android won't upload anything to the Dropbox page. You'll have to use the Dropbox app to transfer ePub files to the Apps/kobo folder on Dropbox to be able to see them on the Forma.
But this won't work with borrowed books.

For those, use Libby to borrow the books, which will then transfer them to your Kobo via the OverDrive functionality. Borrowing them on the Kobo is a PITA.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2023, 05:11 AM   #3
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you very much, Haesslich, for this information. I had never heard of Libby which seems to be a good solution if you have Overdrive on your Kobo. Unfortunately, on my Kobo Forma I do not have Overdrive. The settings menu does not have this option, despite the fact that I see that the Forma with the latest firmware should have the Overdrive option.

I live in the European Union, where Overdrive is not much used. Has Kobo decided (behind my back?) that therefore I can never move to a city with Overdrive and that it can never be installed on my Kobo?

I don't really understand this. Perhaps I should look further on Mobileread to see how to solve this problem.

Thank you once again for your advice.
Old 10-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
Thank you very much, Haesslich, for this information. I had never heard of Libby which seems to be a good solution if you have Overdrive on your Kobo. Unfortunately, on my Kobo Forma I do not have Overdrive. The settings menu does not have this option, despite the fact that I see that the Forma with the latest firmware should have the Overdrive option.

I live in the European Union, where Overdrive is not much used. Has Kobo decided (behind my back?) that therefore I can never move to a city with Overdrive and that it can never be installed on my Kobo?

I don't really understand this. Perhaps I should look further on Mobileread to see how to solve this problem.

Thank you once again for your advice.
You will only see the Overdrive option if your Kobo account shows you as resident in a country where Overdrive is a supported option. The current list of those countries, AFAIK, is Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan, Hong Kong & Singapore.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
Rojofo
Zealot

Thank you, DNSB, for this information, and for your reply to the other question. I will see how I can manage this.
Advert