Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2023, 08:06 PM   #1
WildePaws
WildePaws began at the beginning.

Device: KoboGlo
Set up of KoboGlo isn't working.

I let a friend borrow my KoboGlo and it came back not working at all. It starts the set up process: pick language, connect to WIFI but then when it gets to checking for updates a "something went wrong" message comes up and it goes right back to the beginning.

I am not very knowledgeable on technology but I did reinstall the Kobo Desktop and try to connect it from there but it wont even recognize it is connected via USB. I know that the soft reset is via the tiny hole in the bottom and I tried that but of course it didn't do anything.

I don't know what else to do/try, if anything is even going to work at this stage or if it's salvageable at all.
WildePaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:58 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Select set up with Computer instead of WiFi and don't use the Kobo Desktop. Instead copy the unzipped firmware update to .kobo folder. Make sure the Kobo desktop SW is not running.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

It can't connect via WiFI because the website certificate is out of date.
You can only connect via PC if you pick that instead of WiFi at that stage of the Factory Reset.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2023, 11:57 PM   #3
WildePaws
WildePaws began at the beginning.

Device: KoboGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Select set up with Computer instead of WiFi and don't use the Kobo Desktop. Instead copy the unzipped firmware update to .kobo folder. Make sure the Kobo desktop SW is not running.
https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

It can't connect via WiFI because the website certificate is out of date.
You can only connect via PC if you pick that instead of WiFi at that stage of the Factory Reset.
Okay, I downloaded that but unfortunately I one or two more questions. Where would I find the .kobo folder and is 'extract zip file into folder' simply transferring over?

Also I have it charging on the laptop via USB cord but it still says 'connect ereader' when I choose 'don't have WIFI'

I really appreciate the help and I am sure my questions are beyond silly but I just don't know anything about anything.
WildePaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:20 AM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When you connect the device to your computer over USB, you should see it as a removable drive called Kobo eReader. The .kobo folder is in the root of this drive. Extract KoboRoot.tgz from the firmware zip file, move it to the .kobo folder, safely eject the device, and then let it update itself.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:31 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildePaws View Post
Where would I find the .kobo folder and is 'extract zip file into folder' simply transferring over?
The period in front of .kobo means it's a hidden directory. If you're using Windows, you'll have set your View (in the File Explorer) to "Show hidden files and directories," or something like that. (I'm not running Windows so I don't know the exact terminology.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2023, 12:42 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The period in front of .kobo means it's a hidden directory. If you're using Windows, you'll have set your View (in the File Explorer) to "Show hidden files and directories," or something like that. (I'm not running Windows so I don't know the exact terminology.)
Using a period as the first character of a directory or file name does not work under Windows. It's specific to Unix/Linux/derivatives which include MacOS X+.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using a period as the first character of a directory or file name does not work under Windows. It's specific to Unix/Linux/derivatives which include MacOS X+.
Oh, okay. I thought I had to turn on "show hidden files" to see these. (Not even when using ADE?) I do very little with Windows. Sorry for the mistake.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote