Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2023, 10:22 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
restore database

I see issues of a corrupt database mentioned here, and the Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre always makes a backup of the database when I hook the device up to the computer. But what I cannot find here are instruction on how to restore such a backed up database to the device. Nor can I find an option to do that in the Kobo Utilities plugin. What am I overlooking?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:33 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You copy it back. Obviously back up existing one with current date in naem and give the prior back up the existing name. My database backups are <devicename><yyyymmdd> in a per owner subdirectory, with leading zeros on month and day.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2023, 12:51 PM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Do you need to reboot also? I seem to recall about the db being cached?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The Kobo doesn't expect the database to get completely replaced during normal operation, so rebooting as soon as you disconnect from USB would surely be a wise move.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The Kobo doesn't expect the database to get completely replaced during normal operation, so rebooting as soon as you disconnect from USB would surely be a wise move.
Yes, that's needed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When I replaced my database on my Libra 2 with the database from my Aura H2O, I rebooted right after and it worked perfectly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 09:32 AM   #7
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Could someone enlighten me, because "copy back the database" doesn't get me very far.

On my ereader, in the root directory there are a lot of book files plus these two:
metadata.calibre
drieinfo.calibre

Is one of these the database file?

In the directory with database backups, I have files like this:
KoboReader-KoboSage-N778235036681-20231004-143849.zip

This one contains these files (plus a few adobe-digital.editions subfolder):
version
KoboReader.sqlite
Kobo ereader.conf
Bookreader.sqlite
affiliate.conf"

Do I have to rename one of these files to one of the first mentioned files, or what?

Incidentally, it's happened AGAIN, one of those factory resets. But I've noticed something strange. I initially thought every time the 3000+ imported books on it were "lost" and I had to reimport them (in batches of about 500 at most to be sure).

But I noticed that I don't actually have to. What happens is this: i connect the device to the computer. Calibre recognizes it. It looks as some of the books have already been imported. I disconnect. After disconnecting (without my manually sideloading anything, note!) the device starts to "import items". Apparently now it spontaneously starts to reimport another batch of the book files -- which were on the device to begin with. It just didn't manage to reimport them. But every time I connect and disconnect from the computer, it spontaneously reimports another batch of the books that were there all along.
It even seems to reimport the shelving with it.

Of course I *have* lost all bookmarks & notes & such. The device simply is hardly usable to make notes or highlights anymore. They'll get lost. (Unless I plug into the Kobo environment &c of course. Kobo Plus books data are saved on the server.)

What could this mean? They've done something in the firmware to
Or are data about imported books actually stored on the Kobo server as well (invisibly, as nothing of that is visible on the website, AFAIK)?

Oh, hold up... this is the behaviour it *did* display. Up until it got about 2300 book on the device (according to the home screen count). But on the last connect & disconnect, it went back to the configuration screen again. Back to square one. What a mess.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:18 AM   #8
franklekens
Addict

Still, at the second try, after a few connects/disconnects, the device's contents do seem to have reconstituted them more or less as they were before the forced factory reset.

Still a major annoyance, but slightly less aggravating than when I was first confronted with it. (Slightly.)
Old 10-04-2023, 10:32 AM   #9
franklekens
Addict

Except of course after a few disconnects it starts all over again...
Old 10-04-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The two files you mentioned in the root of the exposed partition are calibre files and nothing to do with the Kobo database files. To restore a corrupted Kobo database, you would copy the KoboReader.sqlite and Bookreader.sqlite files into the .kobo directory. Since the Kobo ereader.conf is very likely to get reset as well, you would copy that file into the .kobo/Kobo directory. You would also loose the screensaver directory inside the .kobo directory.

I would again recommend doing a reboot before connecting to your computer. There have been several message threads which included the NickelMenu entries to do that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are not going to the home screen before connecting to the computer, I suggest you do so. I go to the home screen before connecting to the computer and it works without having any database corruption. No need to reboot.

Your mileage may vary.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote