Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I made a funny and noone is laughing LOL
I was assuming that the lack of response came from one of two possible causes:

1) Waiting for a better offer. I mean, a dollar?

2) Watering eyes. (In Australia dollars come as small bronze coins. The idea of being hit by one in a sensitive area would make anyone's eyes water.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I didn't laugh because I don't like big ones - computers, of course - prefering a more comfortable size. Being British, I don't have a dollar to throw anyway and I thought that was a bit cheap and anything which is really inexpensive can't be any good.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I was assuming that the lack of response came from one of two possible causes:

1) Waiting for a better offer. I mean, a dollar?

2) Watering eyes. (In Australia dollars come as small bronze coins. The idea of being hit by one in a sensitive area would make anyone's eyes water.)
These days a dollar isn't worth a dollar, why come along cheap? Besides which how many would measure up? I have to wonder how many monitors are exactly 12" in any event. Surely there is some variation if even by a few mm's.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #34
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
If I knew anyone with a 12 inch I will throw a dollar at it
My first thought was chip n dale. Wonder if it would be better to tie the dollar on it.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #35
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The problem is many devices got drowned at your comment so they can't laugh out loud.
Either that or the guys are thinking oh dang I don't get $1.
Well, I'm thinking about how difficult it is to make change for a 10 inch tablet.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 AM   #36
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Well, compared to a 12" device, IMHO, it would be better to use a smaller one if you get a better time span of reading before next battery recharge. After all, you need to read often.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #37
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Getting away from the innuendos, I would love suggestions for his name. I'd like him to be male, but to have a friendly, approachable personality, so nothing too fancy. My ideas have been too babyish, or too literary, whereas I'm thinking more of "that intelligent bloke down the road you go to the pub with." All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #38
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Getting away from the innuendos, I would love suggestions for his name. I'd like him to be male, but to have a friendly, approachable personality, so nothing too fancy. My ideas have been too babyish, or too literary, whereas I'm thinking more of "that intelligent bloke down the road you go to the pub with." All suggestions welcome. Thanks.
Murray.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #39
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Why not use standard WordStar cursor movement commands?

I'd be a lot more interested in the Freewrite if it were more generally capable --- I'd give a lot for an updated version of a TRS-80 Model 100.

Suppose I should just try to cobble one together out of a Raspberry Pi.

Anyway, I use a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 as my main machine, and it's been fine / great --- have a ThinkPad TrackPoint keyboard for when I'm at my desk.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Why not use standard WordStar cursor movement commands?
I'm always in favor of software using the WordStar keystrokes. That's why, for most of my basic "get it down" writing, I use Jstar (the WordStar-keystroke variant of the Joe Editor). I wonder if Jstar could be hacked to install on an Android/Fire tablet?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:00 AM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The fact that this device has no arrow keys and no way to move around in your document to edit (besides a backspace key) makes it a total non-starter for me – even if the Freewrite was affordable that would kill it for me.

The AlphaSmart Neo, on the other hand, has block delete, copy, cut, paste and all the editing keys needed. And they cost about $20 shipped.
Going by the units used by local special needs support people, they were all discontinued in 2013. What little writing I do is mostly tech support documents and I can't see writing on a 2-6 line display as being all that easy/useful. Admittedly, I switched from using a typewriter to using a CP/M computer for typing and text processing more decades back than I care to remember.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-04-2018 at 01:04 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 AM   #42
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Going by the units used by local special needs support people, they were all discontinued in 2013. What little writing I do is mostly tech support documents and I can't see writing on a 2-6 line display as being all that easy/useful. Admittedly, I switched from using a typewriter to using a CP/M computer for typing and text processing more decades back than I care to remember.
For me it's useful just for getting words down. When I'm typing in a WYSIWYG word processor I tend to worry about format instead of content. When I'm typing in the Neo (or in text editor like Jstar) I know the formatting will come later and don't worry about it. I realize that not everyone is the same, but for me it's freeing. I just wish the Alphasmart Neo used the WordStar keystrokes.

I should also mention that most of my writing is fiction. I can see where it could be completely different writing technical manuals where formatting is a much more important element.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #43
BookCat
C L J

May I kindly request setting up another thread to discuss the Freewrite? I understand peeps' interest in it (I prefer AlphaSmart) but wish to keep this about my new/old lappy.

More name suggestions please?
Old 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #44
BookCat
C L J

I've begun a thread about the Freewrite:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=293611
Old 01-04-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I have a 10½" iPad Pro that I love almost as much as a real computer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer screen size, does size matter, writing computer