Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle saved my backpack -- kind of...

Thanks to the screensaver hack I got my Kindle and backpack back today... I got distracted talking to somebody on the train and left my backpack behind (I had a bicycle to deal with, making that more likely to have happened). Anyhow, we were riding along when I suddenly realized that I'd left it behind and raced to try to intercept the train, but didn't know the route well and ended up at the wrong stop... 1.5 hours of train chasing and I finally found the right train, but no backpack.

Upset, mostly about my Kindle, I was very happy when I got a call saying that this guy had my backpack -- he'd found my phone number on my Kindle screensaver image. Yeah!

So, a few hours later a rather odd fellow meets me to return it... I didn't look in the bag and offered to take him out to lunch as a reward (I had no cash)... he acted like he wanted to go, but finally said no and left quickly.

So... all's well, right? Problem is, my stainless steel bottle of iced tea was empty, my train money was gone, my camera was gone, and my Kindle had been violently torn from its lighted case, breaking off the top tab and severely bending the bottom tab. :-( I even had one of those SmakDab clips to prevent it from being opened from the wrong side!

Makes me wonder why he even bothered to return it... I spent all day wondering why he didn't just dump the bag after taking what he wanted, and then I realized that perhaps he was the second person to find it, which made me feel better about the strange situation.

Oh well... such is life. At least I have my Kindle back and I've now found an excuse to increase my paranoia . I straightened the bottom tab, and the broken off tab is still stuck in the top slot, so if I press the Kindle against it and install the SmakDab clip the light still works...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Ah, I ride the train every day with a bike and a backpack as well. Sometimes it is hard to keep the faith but maybe that person who took your camera really needed a camera?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
but maybe that person who took your camera really needed a camera?
Or perhaps they really need to be good citizens and hand in lost property.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Makes me wonder why he even bothered to return it... I spent all day wondering why he didn't just dump the bag after taking what he wanted, and then I realized that perhaps he was the second person to find it, which made me feel better about the strange situation.
Thiefs that directly steal your bag, or people that find a bag and steal things from it, always dump the bag (sans money, sans valuables) as quickly as possible. They need to get rid of things that are identifiable. Such as your Kindle with your screensaver they couldn't get rid off in 5 minutes hidden in some dark alley.
So, most probably, the person that found your bag wasn't even aware that somebody else stole your money and/or camera. Otherwise he would have stated he found it sacked in a dark corner.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
.........................Upset, mostly about my Kindle, I was very happy when I got a call saying that this guy had my backpack -- he'd found my phone number on my Kindle screensaver image. Yeah!
so... all's well, right?
Problem is, my stainless steel bottle of iced tea was empty, my train money was gone, my camera was gone,.....................
Perhaps this is simply a case of a creative, hungry person with an acquisitive nature, who then found a guilty conscience......?

It does give a handy opportunity for an advisory warning, though - never put any more than your phone, preferably mobile, number on anything that may go missing.
( An address can be traced through a landline number....)

Some friends lost their keys, with their land-line number inscribed, in case of loss, and sadly were "done" the same day.
And the keys were left in a prominent position...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I bet someone was disappointed that your Kindle was not an iPad... they probably couldn't figure out what the heck it was, so they left it.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^Lol. Sorry to hear about your loss. I ride the bus every day and use a messenger bag. I can just rotate it around and set it on my lap so it never leaves me which reduces the chance of leaving it somewhere.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Heh the last time I lost my wallet the guy emptied it out, came to my house but I wasn't home so he went to a neighbors house and tried to get her to pay him for the wallet and ID card. He even blatantly told her that he took the stuff in there.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I agree with Kacir that the person who turned the backpack in was probably not the person who stole from it. Of course you can't know for sure, but to me it doesn't make good sense for a thief to risk getting ID'd by the victim by turning in the leftover useless stuff.....

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Heh the last time I lost my wallet the guy emptied it out, came to my house but I wasn't home so he went to a neighbors house and tried to get her to pay him for the wallet and ID card. He even blatantly told her that he took the stuff in there.
That confirms my opinion of thieves. Idiots! I found two wallets in the same week once, in the same public square. The owners had to drive a long way back to their wallets but were pretty happy to get everything intact.

The last time I lost mine they wouldn't replace my driver's license without a birth certificate nor would they replace my birth certificate without a driver's license.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
On the plus side, you still have your Kindle! Huzzah!
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow... I got busy for a few days and come back to find a number of replies!

While I somewhat agree with Giggleton (did I just say that on MR? :-) ), unfortunately the camera won't do the thief or purchaser much good without the proprietary cable and charger (stupid Olympus, proprietary everything). I just hope that whoever took it at least got a needed meal from it.

Funny thing is, I was more upset about the Kindle after getting it back tweaked than I was when I thought it was gone. I was also more upset about the $20 canvas backpack and $20 stainless steel water bottle, than about the camera, mostly because I like old durable stuff to which I've added a lot of personal character.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-06-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
On the plus side, you still have your Kindle! Huzzah!
Yep, though I had to find my place in my book again!! I've forgotten what it was like to have a bookmark fall out. ;-)