Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hanvon 9.7"

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...olor-e-reader/

Article says "9.7 inch screen and a resolution of 1600×1200".

The color looks very desaturated. I'd rather just have greyscale 1600x1200.

The stylus is nice.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...olor-e-reader/

Article says "9.7 inch screen and a resolution of 1600×1200".

The color looks very desaturated. I'd rather just have greyscale 1600x1200.

The stylus is nice.
Same here. I'd rather have a fast greyscale than a half-hearted colour screen.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
As long as the pure black text stood out well against the background I'd be perfectly happy with desaturated colour. The resolution of 1600x1200 would seem to trump the 1200x825 of the Kindle DX, but the pictures suggest that the contrast isn't up to that of the Pearl screen on the Kindle.

I'd say this looks promising, and it will be interesting to get some more hands-on reviews.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The flat colours might be due to the photos, there is no mention of anything about it in the review.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
this seems to be the first eink type device with a touch+digital pen input. Makes it very interesting. Also the response time looks a bit faster than say a pocketbook(or is it just me?).
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Here is the bad news for people in the States:

Quote:
Pricing has not been set, but the reader will start shipping in China in May. There are currently no plans to sell the reader in the U.S.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375466,00.asp
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they have a grayscale version as well. the cap+digitizer(hanvons own in-house version of wacom) is ver responsive the device is quick and quite nice. higher definition is due to back pane and not better eink.

i spent time with both of them the last two days and think they are very nice devices. they are intoducing china first but say the have a distributiuon partner to bring the grayscale to the US in Q1/Q2.

They're very concerned they cant be price competitive, so the color might not make it without a large order from a b&m retailer

The color is not great in person. Its hard to tell if it s the pictures themselves or the real limitation of the color. the pictures and pages they have on device barely have color in them. Ive seen better color from the LG display
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
this seems to be the first eink type device with a touch+digital pen input. Makes it very interesting. Also the response time looks a bit faster than say a pocketbook(or is it just me?).
The new Sony Readers allow you to touch and use a stylus.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they are infrared touch not capacitive plus digitizer. the cap plus feels faster than the infrared especially when writing.

plus Hanvon has included handwriting recognition which works very well. i was able to write whole words and have the device get it right
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
plus Hanvon has included handwriting recognition which works very well. i was able to write whole words and have the device get it right
Hi Dulin, did they give you any hint as to prices?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
As long as the pure black text stood out well against the background I'd be perfectly happy with desaturated colour.

I'd say this looks promising, and it will be interesting to get some more hands-on reviews.

Graham
I agree.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
they have a grayscale version as well. the cap+digitizer(hanvons own in-house version of wacom) is ver responsive the device is quick and quite nice. higher definition is due to back pane and not better eink.

i spent time with both of them the last two days and think they are very nice devices. they are intoducing china first but say the have a distributiuon partner to bring the grayscale to the US in Q1/Q2.

They're very concerned they cant be price competitive, so the color might not make it without a large order from a b&m retailer

The color is not great in person. Its hard to tell if it s the pictures themselves or the real limitation of the color. the pictures and pages they have on device barely have color in them. Ive seen better color from the LG display
Thanks for that report. I'm very interested in a grayscale device with stylus and digitizer. The bigger the screen better. The higher the resolution the better. I'm not at all opposed to a color eReader, just don't think it looks acceptable yet on eInk.

If Hanvon doesn't get something like this to market, eventually someone will.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
toronado
Addict

Quote:
they are infrared touch not capacitive plus digitizer. the cap plus feels faster than the infrared especially when writing.

Are you sure the Hanvon is capacitive touch and not resistive? Engadget is reporting resistive.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I knew this company was putting out a colour E-Ink device either at the end of last year or beginning of this year.

I find it exciting myself. And the stylus/handwriting recognition aspect is something I've been hoping to see in these devices as well.

I can't wait to see what new devices come out this year.

I love my Kindle3, but I was stupid and bought the WiFi only version which crashes on me all the time. I'm sure by the end of this year I'll want to upgrade it to something - hopefully something cool with a colour E-Ink screen.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #15
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:

Any chances of seeing the greyscale Hanvon in your shop soon?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote