Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #166
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I follow you that it sucks to be prisoner to DRM and content rights agreements. I had something like 15 or 20% of my books not transfer over.

But I still think Sony has done as good a job as I could expect them to based on their commercial realities. My minimum expectation is that a vendor would give me enough time to download any purchases and Sony not only did that, they also did an automated transfer for me to a new book store.

And on top of that I was able to keep my existing Kobo account and merge libraries (though my Sony books don't show up in my Kobo apps for some reason).

They couldn't possibly spend money to keep the store running just so an ever diminishing user base could download their existing purchases once in a while. And it would be cost prohibitive in administrative and licensing costs to make sure every single book they ever offered was made available for sale on a competitor's store (don't forget that Sony and Kobo are still competitors in some markets).

I think they already went above and beyond in their handling of this situation.

Unfortunately I guess some of their customer service staff let them down. And maybe their PR and communications people should have properly set expectations for how many books would transfer.

As an aside, one of the reasons I like epub as a format is that not only can I de-DRM easily, but also I can deconstruct/store/edit to my heart's content using only easily available tools without having to rely on any manufacturer or publisher. So big props to Sony from me for going epub.
Can't argue with what you've written. It is interesting that they transferred the helm over to another retailer rather than just closing. (I say interesting, rather than kudos, because I'm thinking money must have changed hands somewhere like Kobo buying Sony's customer base. If creditable news comes out that Sony did that out of their own pocket, then it is to Sony's credit.)

But since Sony was first in and had a better product, they also have themselves to blame for not capturing the market... The market was Sony's to lose, and they did lose it despite having superior hardware (IMVHO.)

But, I'm done with it... I did in fact replace my 650's battery, but to answer the thread topic's question, I am now a Nook user and have not lost anything thanks to the advice of other forum users.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #167
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I received my T3 about two weeks ago and am now switching between my 650 and the T3. I must admit, the T3 is responsive, fast and has a very nice display. Very impressed with it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2014, 02:53 PM   #168
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I bought a Kobo Aura this morning and couldn't be happier. Well, ok, I'd love it to be all aluminium like my old 650, but it really is a perfect device.

I love the smooth screen. No more crumbs in the bezel for me, now! The capazitive touch I so dreaded in theory works like a charm. The possibilities to change fonts, font sizes and text alignment alone make it worth every penny. And the light is awesome. I had a Verso light on my Sonys and thought it to be very sophisticated but this is a class of its own.

If only I had carved earlier!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #169
johnoz123
Enthusiast
johnoz123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Gave away our 2xPRS350's and bought 2xKindle Paperwhite 2's --they are best e-book readers we have ever owned. Clear and crisp day or night --front lite e-ink is the way to go IMO.
johnoz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #170
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Used to have a PRS 650. Moved to a Kobo Aura HD a few months ago when they came to India. It's the best e-ink experience in my opinion. The store, the larger screen size which allows for more text and a real book feel, crisp screen, even lighting, etc. all go towards making it an excellent device.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #171
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I went to a Kindle PW1. Still think Sony has a better reader, but..oh well.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM   #172
coolloser
Enthusiast
coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coolloser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs-600,T2, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kindle 3G/PW4/PW5/O3
I switched to Kobo, started with the Mini when it was on sale for $35, loved the portability but was still using my T2 at home until I caved to the back lights on the Glo and Aura. My PRS600 and my T2 still live on though! I have gifted them to friends who love and use them every day.
coolloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #173
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
My other ebook reader is...another Sony (i have a T2 and a T3, plus a 650 that i rarely use now). They are too good to be replaced by some other ereader.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote