Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-03-2022, 11:33 AM   #1
totantenz
totantenz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Reader turns off itself, unable to be used

My Libra screen went blank a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was dead but then after charing it for weeks it came back eventually and seemed working completely fine.

I then tried to connect it to pc and imported 3/4 books via calibre, when the transfer was happening, calibre said the kobo version is not supported. After that my pc cannot detect the device anymore (usb cable is working since the device is charging).

Moreover, the screen keeps flashing like someone is touching different parts of it. Later, the device cant stay on but it keeps going to sleep mode then 'powered off' itself.

I have tried factory reset a few times. If lucky enough I can connect it to wifi and login my kobo account. But I cannot read/import any books since the issues persist. I tried to disconnect wifi connection once completing login and it stays up for a little bit longer but only a few minutes I guess.

As the Libra has been used for almost 2 years, the warranty should have expired so I can only count on myself. May I know if anyone has similar issues or any possible solution?
totantenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #2
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by totantenz View Post
My Libra screen went blank a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was dead but then after charing it for weeks it came back eventually and seemed working completely fine.

I then tried to connect it to pc and imported 3/4 books via calibre, when the transfer was happening, calibre said the kobo version is not supported. After that my pc cannot detect the device anymore (usb cable is working since the device is charging).

Moreover, the screen keeps flashing like someone is touching different parts of it. Later, the device cant stay on but it keeps going to sleep mode then 'powered off' itself.

I have tried factory reset a few times. If lucky enough I can connect it to wifi and login my kobo account. But I cannot read/import any books since the issues persist. I tried to disconnect wifi connection once completing login and it stays up for a little bit longer but only a few minutes I guess.

As the Libra has been used for almost 2 years, the warranty should have expired so I can only count on myself. May I know if anyone has similar issues or any possible solution?

This sounds like what happened to my Kobo Aura One. I couldn't get it back at all unfortunately - but I did have 5 years with it so I can't complain.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Could this be the result of a failing SD card?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like it could be a corrupt database.

Make sure you have the Kobo Utilities plugin install in Calibre. Then with Calibre running, plug in your Libra and use Kobo Utilities to check the database. If ity is corrupt and you do not have a recent enough backup, sign out and then sign back in and that will fix the database by wiping it and starting over.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Could this be the result of a failing SD card?
Unfortunately, the Libra H2O does not have an internal SD card. But, it does sound like it could be the storage failing. If that is the case, there isn't much that can be done.

@totantenz: How did you do the factory reset? If it was via the Device information page of the Settings, it is not a full factory reset. Use the method on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...Kobo-Libra-H2O to do the full reset. That includes formatting the root partition and applying the factory firmware. If there are still issues after that, it is probably a hardware issue.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 02:36 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Could this be a problem with the battery?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:55 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Could this be a problem with the battery?
It could.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #8
totantenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds like it could be a corrupt database.

Make sure you have the Kobo Utilities plugin install in Calibre. Then with Calibre running, plug in your Libra and use Kobo Utilities to check the database. If ity is corrupt and you do not have a recent enough backup, sign out and then sign back in and that will fix the database by wiping it and starting over.
I tried to do this. However, as the kobo is not recognized by the computer, and no 'connect to computer' option popped up when I connected it to pc. I cannot use the plugin.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:27 AM   #9
totantenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, the Libra H2O does not have an internal SD card. But, it does sound like it could be the storage failing. If that is the case, there isn't much that can be done.

@totantenz: How did you do the factory reset? If it was via the Device information page of the Settings, it is not a full factory reset. Use the method on https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...Kobo-Libra-H2O to do the full reset. That includes formatting the root partition and applying the factory firmware. If there are still issues after that, it is probably a hardware issue.
I did the power button and page down button one. Now the Libra is functioning (after countless attempts) and it won't go to sleep on its own.

Yet, it is still being unrecognized by my pc. I went to check the device manager, it says my libra is an unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed). I tried to reboot my pc/used usboblivion after googling for some solutions but it still remains unknown.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:41 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by totantenz View Post
I did the power button and page down button one. Now the Libra is functioning (after countless attempts) and it won't go to sleep on its own.
That sounds better.
Quote:
Yet, it is still being unrecognized by my pc. I went to check the device manager, it says my libra is an unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed). I tried to reboot my pc/used usboblivion after googling for some solutions but it still remains unknown.
The usual suggestions are to try different port on the PC, cables or other PCs. Or use a hub. I have no idea why, but some machines just don't like these devices. I have an issue with my Glo HD and the laptop I use. It can connect and Windows will see it. But, put any load on the connection (copy a large file, let calibre connect) and the connection drops and puts the USB port in an unusable state. But, it works perfectly with the other computers in the house. And all the other Kobo devices work with my laptop.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote