Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-18-2003, 06:25 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Harry Potter books stolen

Yesterday, thousands of copies of the new Harry Potter book worth around £1m have been stolen from a trading estate in northern England, police revealed today.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/harrypot...979308,00.html

Heh. What currency do you accept? Euro? Dollar? Neither one, but Harry Potter books
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Thumbs up Let's start the bidding!!!

Hey,

Love them all!!! Book 5 I want I want I want!!! Let's see what's in my wallet...
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2003, 07:29 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hmmm, I'm going to have to start reading this series one of these days...maybe when they finally release an ebook format!

Craig
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 01:37 PM   #4
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thumbs down Ebook format can be had

Hey,

Many popular books are in ebook format. This is a shame but there is no way to stop information in any format especially digital. I have seen all four harry potter ebooks available. The fifth one will be around soon. It always happens. Does anyone know if fair use is put into play with books? IE I own a harry potter book and type it up for my own use?
Old 06-19-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Visorprismman: if you reproduce the pages for your own use, there is no violation. The tricky question is what you mean by "own use". Suppose you are a teacher and reproduce pages (not whole books) that you distribute to your students. Is that "fair use"? Almost certainly not, and publishers will attack you. A lot of it comes down to how much copying (and money) is involved. radleyp
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Re: Ebook format can be had

Quote:
Originally posted by visorprismman
Does anyone know if fair use is put into play with books? IE I own a harry potter book and type it up for my own use?
That is a very good question! Does anyone know the answer to this?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:17 PM   #7
Zire
Fanatic

Thumbs up I only asked because...

Hey,

I only asked because I do most of my reading on my palm pilot. Wonder if I can buy the book and have someone type it for me and put it in my palm...would that be fair use?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Yes, provided only you (and relatives and friends) use it and you do not offer it for resale. radleyp
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #9
chunlin66
Enthusiast
chunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it ischunlin66 knows what time it is

Device: Clie NX60
HP 5 was a great book!
chunlin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:10 PM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally posted by cbarnett
Hmmm, I'm going to have to start reading this series one of these days...maybe when they finally release an ebook format!
NYT wrote an article (requires free registration - but heh, who is not registered at nytimes.com ) today on Harry Potter and the Internet Pirates.
They talk about illegally scanned Potter books and also unofficially translated portions of Order of the Phoenix in German and Czech.
Most interesting is the comment from the business manager of Ms. Rowling's literary agency that he did not expect the illicit e-books to have an impact on sales of the printed book. "More than 200 million copies of the first four books have been sold in 55 languages. And the fifth book, released at midnight on June 20 and published in Britain by Bloomsbury and in this country by Scholastic, is ranked No. 1 on children's books best-seller lists". And how about that one:

"Some publishing industry officials say the electronic Potter piracy may be a perverse sign that the public is finally acquiring a taste for e-books".
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote