Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #136
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
UPS delivered both of our readers on Monday, but Sony still shows "not delivered" on the website. How long did it take for everyone else before Sony admitted they had received the readers?
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #137
tuvoc
tuvoc began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
wonderful win-win situation..Get your PRS-500 updated. don't like it, trade it in by march...
tuvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #138
SanFranMatt
SanFranMatt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
UPS delivered both of our readers on Monday, but Sony still shows "not delivered" on the website. How long did it take for everyone else before Sony admitted they had received the readers?
Mine were delivered last Wednesday. According to the site, still not received.
SanFranMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:59 AM   #139
evdberg
Enthusiast
evdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five wordsevdberg can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS-500, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My guess is that it is a hardware update as well as a firmware update.
The Sony page clearly states it is a firmware update, they do not say anything about hardware. Also I can not imagine anything that should be upgraded on the hardware, file format support is a 100% software thing. As said, I hope igorsk will take a look at the difference and see if it is possible to compile our own firmware updater.

Maybe somebody who is going to send back his unit will add a small sticker to it that will break if they open the unit. Then we will know for sure ...

Last edited by evdberg; 11-27-2009 at 03:02 AM.
evdberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #140
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post
The Sony page clearly states it is a firmware update, they do not say anything about hardware. Also I can not imagine anything that should be upgraded on the hardware, file format support is a 100% software thing. As said, I hope igorsk will take a look at the difference and see if it is possible to compile our own firmware updater.

Maybe somebody who is going to send back his unit will add a small sticker to it that will break if they open the unit. Then we will know for sure ...
Clearly it is something that requires the device to be physically present and thus opened. It may not be a hardware change but may be something (as I said earlier) that can't be updated with the built-in firmware upgrade software as it exists. If nothing else it may require attaching the device to another computer in order to upgrade/reconfigure the software.

If it could be done by the user then certainly Sony would have opted for that rather than spend the significant amount of money on this upgrade program.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #141
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranMatt View Post
Mine were delivered last Wednesday. According to the site, still not received.
Yep, and they're closed today, so probably won't be able to find out what's going on until Monday.

The good thing is I had UPS pack our readers and ship them, so if Sony managed to lose them after they accepted the packages in Laredo, they owe us a couple of new readers.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #142
junkml
Addict

Woohoo! My wife and I just got emails that UPS received billing information on Thursday for sending back our readers. So hopefully they'll actually pick them up Monday and maybe we'll have them by Wednesday!

Sony still shows (on the website) that they haven't even received our readers.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #143
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
What kind of shipping does Sony use? UPS Ground? 1-Day, 2-Day, 3-Day? Very important question at this time of year.

A friend of mine works for FedEX, and he calls Christmas something like "hell time." (He loves Christmas itself, so it's not "bah humbug.") Deliveries increase tons starting early December. He works at least 12 hours every day but Sunday -- and it's HARD work! -- until after Christmas. There's just tons and tons of packages flowing.

UPS gets hit just as hard, and their Ground service really bogs. Unless Sony is doing 1-day, 2-day or 3-day shipping, it's going to potentially take much, much longer to get your Reader back, even if the actual update is quick.

Just something to think about. Heck, instead of pre-Christmas gift, it can be a post-Christmas gift!

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #144
wyldkit
Connoisseur
wyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it iswyldkit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500 (until I have enough Sony Rewards points for the PRS-300)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
What kind of shipping does Sony use? UPS Ground? 1-Day, 2-Day, 3-Day? Very important question at this time of year.
The email I just got from UPS says they're using Next-Day Air to send the reader back.
wyldkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #145
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Sony used UPS Next Day Air both ways.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #146
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, in another thread someone mentioned that Calibre does not recognize the updated 500's. That might be a clue as well to what is being done and why they had to physically return to the mothership.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, in another thread someone mentioned that Calibre does not recognize the updated 500's. That might be a clue as well to what is being done and why they had to physically return to the mothership.
The newly updated 500s now work as a USB removable drive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #148
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The newly updated 500s now work as a USB removable drive.
Right, but that's a basic OS function. Calibre doesn't recognize it because something changed in it's profile (or whatever it is called)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #149
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Woohoo! My wife and I just got emails that UPS received billing information on Thursday for sending back our readers. So hopefully they'll actually pick them up Monday and maybe we'll have them by Wednesday!

Sony still shows (on the website) that they haven't even received our readers.
Received our readers yesterday at 8:30AM!

Found out I probably won't be using epub books on them (without modifications). I dislike how there's a 1-inch white space all the way around the screen. The "page" is as narrow as a small newspaper column. I'm not sure if this is how ALL epub books are formatted, but it certainly is for the ones I have.

Oh well, at least we've got the udpated firmware! And we've got our readers back! That week without them was kind of rough.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #150
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Received our readers yesterday at 8:30AM!

Found out I probably won't be using epub books on them (without modifications). I dislike how there's a 1-inch white space all the way around the screen. The "page" is as narrow as a small newspaper column. I'm not sure if this is how ALL epub books are formatted, but it certainly is for the ones I have.

Oh well, at least we've got the udpated firmware! And we've got our readers back! That week without them was kind of rough.
That's something that I absolutely love about the epub format -- with some basic css know-how, you can easily change just about every aspect of how a book is displayed. Margins, indents, fonts, text sizes, etc, etc. The problem is that the defaults for most books is pretty bad (though really no worse than the lrx/lrf books that I have).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote