Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #481
fred_be9300
fred_be9300 doesn't litterfred_be9300 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_be9300 View Post
anyone know if 5.3.4 fixed that? (the ability to use alternate.conf to hide some fonts)
I was hoping to activate custom fonts without rooting, and hiding the unwanted "extra system fonts".

I activated fonts with USE_ALT_FONTS + fonts folder
I tried putting alternate.conf (unix type line-ends) with the following content.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
  <dir>/mnt/us/altfonts</dir>

<rejectfont>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>Song S</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>Song T</string>
		</patelt>             
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>MKai PRC</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>                
		<patelt name="family">   
			<string>Futura</string>  
		</patelt>                  
	</pattern> 
</rejectfont>

</fontconfig>
but the unwanted fonts still show up, and also fonts in /altfonts are not read - so it seems alternate.conf is not read.

EDIT: PS: I've done the usual device restarts after each modification mentioned above

Tested with 5.3.4 and 5.3.5. As I don't have root access, I don't know if the XML error discovered by DuckieTigger is solved, but it seems not.

Last edited by fred_be9300; 04-27-2013 at 11:44 AM.
fred_be9300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #482
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred_be9300 View Post
I was hoping to activate custom fonts without rooting, and hiding the unwanted "extra system fonts".
You will have to clear the fontcache -
Which will most likely require a device re-boot.
Give that a try first.

If you where willing to install the KUAL launcher, then someone here could write you a simple button to "scrub" the broken xml file.
(KUAL does not require USBnetworking, but does require that you JailBreak (or 'root') your device.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #483
fred_be9300
fred_be9300 doesn't litterfred_be9300 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Android apps
thanks for the suggestion - yes I did do device restarts. For the time being, I want to stay away from device hacking (jailbreak and more). It's a psychological thing (I did it on my android and phone, and have spent more time reading up on the hacking, then enjoying the device, so I want to not go there with the kindle )

Last edited by fred_be9300; 04-27-2013 at 11:48 AM.
fred_be9300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 AM   #484
williaty
williaty began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stino View Post
Wow! This font hack even works on the new Kindle Paperwhite with firmware 5.3.0.
1.) just plug in the Kindle to your OS
2.) copy an empty file with name USE_ALT_FONTS to root directory of kindle (internally the root device is /mnt/us/)
3.) create an folder "fonts" (/mnt/us/fonts)
4.) copy your fonts to this folder (4 files for each font: Fontname-Regular.ttf, Fontname-Italic.ttf, Fontname-Bold.ttf and Fontname-BoldItalic.ttf)
5.) restart your Kindle and from now on you will see in the "Aa" menu of the standard reader app your own fonts as well
I'm going to add a possibly redundant clarification here, but it caught me out anyway. If you just skim those instructions (which, obviously, you should read carefully), it's easy to be caught out by the use of the word "root" in them if you're used to Unixy things. When the directions said "root", I immediately created /USE_ALT_FONTS and /fonts. However, the "root" being spoken of in the instructions isn't actually the root of the file system, just the starting point that shows up on your computer when you mount the Kindle normally. So the files really need to be /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS and /mnt/us/fonts. Which the directions totally say, but like I said, if you're just skimming them and you're used to Unix, the use of "root" in them will send you off in the wrong direction until you read slowly and carefully, rather than rushing through them the Nth time.
williaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #485
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does my explanation of using the '*/' abbreviation make any sense?
https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system
Advert
Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #486
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Smile A question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
For KPW, 5.3.1, my workaround for curbing the display of the additional stock fonts is to create /etc/fonts/local.conf with the following content:

Code:
<rejectfont>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>Song S</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>TBMincho</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>                
		<patelt name="family">   
			<string>TBGothic</string>  
		</patelt>                  
	</pattern>                 
	<pattern>                  
		<patelt name="family">     
			<string>HYGothic</string>   
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>HYMyeongJo</string> 
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MYing Hei T</string>
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>Song T</string>               
		</patelt>                             
	</pattern>             
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MYing Hei S</string>
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MT Chinese Surrogates</string>
		</patelt>                             
	</pattern>                            
</rejectfont>
You can add or remove fonts to this file as desired.

There is probably a more elegant solution, as I just scratched the surface of fontconfig to do this, but it worked for me. It allows for the Aa dialog to fit more custom fonts if that is your desire. I just like the fact that the box is once again small enough that you can see the text above/below, thus getting a live preview of your settings.

Does this code work for KPW 5.3.5,do you have a try?
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #487
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Smile Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueLeader View Post
For KPW, 5.3.1, my workaround for curbing the display of the additional stock fonts is to create /etc/fonts/local.conf with the following content:

Code:
<rejectfont>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>Song S</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>
		<patelt name="family">
			<string>TBMincho</string>
		</patelt>
	</pattern>
	<pattern>                
		<patelt name="family">   
			<string>TBGothic</string>  
		</patelt>                  
	</pattern>                 
	<pattern>                  
		<patelt name="family">     
			<string>HYGothic</string>   
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>HYMyeongJo</string> 
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MYing Hei T</string>
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>Song T</string>               
		</patelt>                             
	</pattern>             
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MYing Hei S</string>
		</patelt>                   
	</pattern>                  
	<pattern>                   
		<patelt name="family">      
			<string>MT Chinese Surrogates</string>
		</patelt>                             
	</pattern>                            
</rejectfont>
You can add or remove fonts to this file as desired.

There is probably a more elegant solution, as I just scratched the surface of fontconfig to do this, but it worked for me. It allows for the Aa dialog to fit more custom fonts if that is your desire. I just like the fact that the box is once again small enough that you can see the text above/below, thus getting a live preview of your settings.
Excuse me, last night, back to you, there is another question to ask you.

My device is KPW 5.3.5

I am a reader from China, need to use the 'Song T' and the other Chinese fonts. If I modify your code to retain Chinese fonts and refuse English, whether the change will affect the display of English books and system interface English?

PS: 5.3.5 is applicable?
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #488
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Come on people... could folks who ask "does this or that work on a new firmware" actually try it before asking, and report back so that we can all benefit from it? Or am I asking for too much?

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #489
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Come on people... could folks who ask "does this or that work on a new firmware" actually try it before asking, and report back so that we can all benefit from it? Or am I asking for too much?

What madness is this! You crazy insane fool.

Why have a dog and wag yourself... no that's not it.. err.. Don't let the bark tail the dog... sigh I never was great with analogy.

Err... I give up.

What Ixtab said.
This is a collaborative effort you know... or could be...

Try. Tell. Please.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #490
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Any plans to support FW version 3.5.3?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #491
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
Any plans to support FW version 3.5.3?
Have you tried it?
What happened?
Old 05-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #492
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I think someone posted an alternate/similar solution to this just today IIRC

Required root access mind you.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #493
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can confirm this does not work with 3.5.3. Got to wait this out...or wait the dog out
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #494
readandread
Zealot

But this method works with 5.3.5! Works like a charm - not hacks

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hite-no-hacks/
Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #495
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
But this method works with 5.3.5! Works like a charm - not hacks

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...hite-no-hacks/
Which, if you had checked the link, you would find points back to this very same thread. Just page back a few times.

Have you been adding these hard to find posts to our prefix index pages? You should.

Tags
kindle touch hacks