Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ad-free social network (that is also free to use) will be launched by Amazon? Apple?

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...twitter-style/

Quote:
A social network that charges its users $50 a year would have been almost unimaginable just a few weeks ago, but is now a reality. A challenger to Twitter called App.net exceeded its crowdsourced funding target of $500,000 over the weekend, and will bid to make a profitable social network free of ads.

I previously wrote about App.net and its creators goals (see "A Social Network Free of Ads"). Now the project has received the money needed to go ahead, the real work begins, and the public scrutiny is already ramping up. As you might expect, many are expressing skepticism about the venture, for example tweeting that few Web users will want to pay when so many alternatives are free. Even users of App.net itself asking that it become significantly cheaper, or even offer a free tier (others vehemently oppose that idea).

With more than 11,000 people that have invested at least $50 in the project, App.net will probably have few problems in the short term. The “alpha” version of the network is already buzzing with conversation, albeit mostly about the project itself--its existing bugs and possible future features. Some third-party clients are already available, including Web services and iPhone apps at an early stage of development.

But, as of yesterday, only 3,500 people had actually begun using the service, mostly from the tech industry.
Reading about app.net got me thinking. What companies have the resources to offer an ad-free social network free of charge to users? (aka use it as a loss leader).

Amazon: maybe something like users have to go to Amazon.com everytime they want to use the ad-free Amazon social network. Amazon benefits from the traffic. Or maybe an ad on the sign-on page only about an ebook or cds or whatever. Not really ad-free, but ad-free 95% of the page views. After signing on, it's ad free.

Amazon has a habit of doing thing at very low margin. Maybe a social network could be a good loss leader strategy as long as it is not too expensive to run and maintain.

Apple: well they have $100 billion in cash. A social network would help with their strategy. There were reports a few weeks ago about Apple trying to buy Twitter.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 08-23-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 04:56 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Google+ seems pretty ad-free to me. It may be harvesting my likes and dislikes for use elsewhere but I don't see adverts when I'm using it, other than things directly related to its social networking purpose (What's Hot on Google+ feed, You Might Also Like, Events from my Circles).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
Amazon: maybe something like users have to go to Amazon.com everytime they want to use the ad-free Amazon social network. Amazon benefits from the traffic. Or maybe an ad on the sign-on page only about an ebook or cds or whatever. Not really ad-free, but ad-free 95% of the page views. After signing on, it's ad free.
To me, this makes the most sense. Especially since they've been really pushing the Amazon Local stuff.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Apple had a social network thing back when I got my first Apple product a long long long time ago called eWorld. It wasn't very successful. Hmm that's an understatement.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Facebook is very add free when Adblock Plus is used.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
100% ad-free, and subscriptionless? I don't see that happening. I mean, it would be a total loss loser, with no way to support itself. Even PBS technically has ads, after the shows to show the corporate sponsors.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Ad free? If I'm going to put my name and face on the internet, I want to be paid!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote