Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
waicha
waicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Sony Reader USB Connection problem

Hi all,

I am new to Sony Reader and this forum. I have had the Sony PRS 500 for a month. I used the universal flasher to unlock and add fonts. After that, I found that the Sony Reader won't show up in the Connect Reader list, no matter how I plug and unplug the USB cable. I am using the same USB port. I know that the backup solution is to copy the files to the SD card. But that will make loading books extremely slow. Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks a lot.

waicha
waicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If the Reader still works, then the problem is likely the Connect software or the USB cable. Shutdown the application, then find and stop the process that supported it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Specifically, it's probably the USB driver. Go to "Device Manager", uninstall the driver, then reinstall it from the Connect CD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Did you install libprs500 and the libprs500 device driver on the same machine you installed Connect? I did that and eventually, Connect stopped seeing my reader. All it took was to use libprs500 to talk to the reader and I borked my reader's USB connection to my computer. It worked fine on my wife's computer so I knew my reader was not broken. I removed the USB driver installs from libprs500 and rebooted and Connect worked fine after that with my reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
There may be even a simpler way to fix this. At least, it has been for me in a few instances when this happened.

First of all, just unplug the Reader and reboot the computer, then reconnect. This works for me most of the time.

If not, then turn off all your antivirus and anti-spyware programs and then try it.

Hope this may help.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
andyreno
andyreno began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sony Reader
Hi I am new to this so please bare with me.
I live in the UK and bought my wife a sony reader PRS 505 for xmas off of ebay from the US. And, as I have been reading here in some threads she has had the same problem as many of you guys.
Firstly, the PC doesn't see the reader at all, when connected via USB. The red led lights when it is connected, thinking it was low of battery we left it 'charging' but then it won't turn on. The yellow light goes on and after a while the message 'Reader starting up', which it never does.
Sometimes when we have it plugged in to a USB via the mains rather than the PC a message 'USB' displays.

Thats all we've had for a week now. Would it be an idea to maybe get a proper mains charger and try and give it a lengthy charge, or, as I fear the problem is more than that and requires software etc tinkering? Please help. I would have tried to follow other similar remedies but everybody's problems all seem to be different in some way, be it the messages that are displayed or the order in which the problems occur. The one thing they all have in common is the fact that the bloody things ain't working!!!!!
Thanks. Andyreno.
andyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyreno View Post
Thats all we've had for a week now. Would it be an idea to maybe get a proper mains charger and try and give it a lengthy charge
I'd suggest that it would be worth getting a main charger and giving it a try - it shouldn't be more that a few pounds - all you need is a PSP compatible one that uses a round barrel connector to plug into the yellow round socket.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #8
Cerberus
Cerberus began at the beginning.

Device: prs600
PRS 600

My problem is even more bizarre. I have replaced my (recently lost) PRS 600 and plugged it into the laptop expecting the Reader Library to detect a new device, but basically offer me the same facilities as before.

Ho no!

It initially detected the new reader, downloaded some books onto it, and them the whole thing locked up. I left it for 20 minutes, and the reader had "Do not disconnect" on the screen. Well I ran out of time and disconnected anyway. The thing had a sort of electronic hissy fit, sulked for a while and then came to life with the downloaded books on it, all working as normal.

Now, however, the computer does not detect the reader AT ALL. I have removed and reloaded all the Library programmes, done a hard reset on the reader itself and basically all the stuff on the Sony website. The best I can get is the computer sometimes recognises 4 hard drives E,F,G and H, but thinks they have a 0MB memory, so wont put anything in them.

So now I have a lovely, shiny new ereader with absolutely nothing on it!

Any ideas?
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Specifically, it's probably the USB driver. Go to "Device Manager", uninstall the driver, then reinstall it from the Connect CD.
Hey guys, I'm having the same problem. Unfortunately I've tried this, but it didn't really work. I've rebooted my computer several times as well.
Any other suggestions?
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
ieshamay
ieshamay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
May work for you

Hey,
So I just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me with this. I went to lunch today and tried to turn on my book reader. It said that I had a low battery and was taking forever to load. When it finally did pop up, it said that I had 0 books (even though I had over 250.) Then it shut off on me. When I went to go plug it in to charge it, it wouldn't connect to the reader library, although, it still had the light on like it was charging. I left it plugged in, and about 5 minutes later, the computer finally recognized it. I unplugged it and turned it on, it still says low battery and turned off really quick, but all my books are there. I have it charging more. The weird thing is that last night before I went to bed and turned off the ereader, it showed that I had almost a whole battery. I have been using a wall charger lately and I am wondering if that has something to do with all this.
ieshamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
What sort of wall charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieshamay View Post
Hey,
So I just wanted to let you guys know what happened to me with this. I went to lunch today and tried to turn on my book reader. It said that I had a low battery and was taking forever to load. When it finally did pop up, it said that I had 0 books (even though I had over 250.) Then it shut off on me. When I went to go plug it in to charge it, it wouldn't connect to the reader library, although, it still had the light on like it was charging. I left it plugged in, and about 5 minutes later, the computer finally recognized it. I unplugged it and turned it on, it still says low battery and turned off really quick, but all my books are there. I have it charging more. The weird thing is that last night before I went to bed and turned off the ereader, it showed that I had almost a whole battery. I have been using a wall charger lately and I am wondering if that has something to do with all this.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #12
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile

Don't know if this is relevent, but I have had the same type of problem with my mp3 - a Sansa. My PC tells me no device recognised.
I had it running from a powered hub. As soon as I plugged it into a usb on the PC stack, it was fine.
Similar has happened with a camera - I switched plugs this time, and it worked.
Wierd - some strange infection ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
ieshamay
ieshamay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
What sort of wall charger?
It doesn't have a brand name on it. I ordered it from ebay.
ieshamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #14
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
You describe pretty well the USB and directory issues associated with very low battery charge. You might have a bad charger, but I presume you've been seeing that the charger makes the battery show full. If not, well either it's bad or it's plugged into an outlet that's switched off (Yes, I did that for a while, the switch on the wall turns off the bedside lamp and the outlet I put my wall wart in.) If it seems to charge up, but runs down really fast, you might plug a set of headphones into the headphone jack. If you hear sound, then the reader is wasting your battery making music you're not listening to. Stop the music and your battery life should improve dramatically. Several folks have experienced this "mysterious music" phenomena, but I don't think it's been fully characterized. I prevent it by deleting all music on my reader, but that's an extreme solution.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
No, dodgy cables, inadequate poer per hub port or similar much more likely. Example: 6 port hub and 2A PSU... no problem with a couple of hub powered devices and others self-powered USB but say you connect 6 devices needing standard 500mA then total needed is 3A so some of the ports self-protect and shutdown... don't come back without full disconnect and reboot... there are other physical reasons as well but no infection involved just physics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Don't know if this is relevent, but I have had the same type of problem with my mp3 - a Sansa. My PC tells me no device recognised.
I had it running from a powered hub. As soon as I plugged it into a usb on the PC stack, it was fine.
Similar has happened with a camera - I switched plugs this time, and it worked.
Wierd - some strange infection ?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote