Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #76
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm unless you have some really weird comic processing options set, the generated EPUB should be much smaller than the source file. It certainly is for me.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #77
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
re: comic processing options

To Traclo - Glad it helped. In terms of bulk processing, you should certainly be able to do it with the command line, and I think through the GUI as well (change your preferences?)

To Kovid - Yes, I was somewhat puzzled too. I am guessing that it may be in part related to the encoding of the original image. To fully make clear what I'm talking about, here are the details.

I begin with one cbz file, and use the following command to convert:

ebook-convert /home/Media/Print/Comics/Toles/Toles.cbz Toles_v2.epub --output-profile sony --no-sort --cover /home/Media/Print/Comics/Toles/Toles.jpg --title "Tom Toles Cartoons" --authors "Tom Toles" --author-sort "Toles, Tom" --publisher "Washington Post" --tags "News, Comics, Humor"

When I add the "--no-process" flag, I get a different sized file (Toles.epub below):

#1: 1.1M Toles.cbz
#2: 5.3M Toles_v2.epub
#3 (--no-process): 1.1M Toles.epub

Breaking it down by unziping the files, it is solely due to images. A representative file from all three:

#1: 50K Toles-09.12.2009.jpg
#2: 128K 0_1.png
#3: 50K Toles-09.12.2009.jpg

Since I'm using the command line, I assume it's a matter of the calibre internal defaults. I'm 99% sure I haven't change anything in my preferences related to cbz conversion. I will check.

Finally, to anyone else who's curious, the example is drawn from a script that turns Tom Toles' daily cartoon into an ebook. Rather nice, since it's a 1-panel black and white cartoon. Unfortunately, the script is a horrible bash frankenstein. I'm going to learn python and try to make it something worth sharing.

Cheers,

John
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #78
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try using --output-format=jpeg
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #79
veysey
Enthusiast
veysey doesn't litterveysey doesn't litter

Device: Sony ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try using --output-format=jpeg
That basically does it. The images in the epub are still slightly bigger (e.g. 75k instead of 50k), but it's much better.
veysey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #80
Traclo
Traclo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
Agreed.
I tried keeping it as a jpeg and it is vastly smaller than png. I can use comic processing and it actually reduces the size for me. Perhaps jpeg should be the default?

Well thanks, my only real gripe with the program is solved (and it was my fault all along )
Traclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:15 AM   #81
Olympus21
Olympus21 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am hoping that the PDF will be able to store graphics scaled so that the image width is saved at the resolution of the Sony's height, so that comics will still be rendered at max resolution when turned to widescreen mode instead of upsampled by the reader.

Regards

Olympus

____

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-28-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Olympus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 AM   #82
moggie
Enthusiast
moggie is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus21 View Post
I am hoping that the PDF will be able to store graphics scaled so that the image width is saved at the resolution of the Sony's height, so that comics will still be rendered at max resolution when turned to widescreen mode instead of upsampled by the reader.
You might be interested in ticket 1670 which discusses this, pdf's do work
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #83
vondanmcintyre
Vonda N. McIntyre
vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.vondanmcintyre writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Droid X
I'm trying to convert Ursula K. Le Guin's SUPERMOUSE comics to various ebook formats. Calibre handled EPUB fine, but when I got to .lit I ran into a couple of problems, which I would be grateful for advice about.

When I look at the .lit file in Calibre's internal reader, I can see the pictures (though they're separated by a lot of white space).

When I use the Microsoft Reader emulator (on my Dell laptop, running Win XP) -- all the pictures are gone. Only the headings and Table of Contents and publication information remain.

Would anyone be willing to look at the Supermouse01.lit file on a Microsoft Reader?

And, are there stepwise instructions for the comic conversion section of Calibre discussed above? I've read the thread and the help file and I blush to admit I can't find where I should choose the comic converter option in the Calibre GUI.

I'm comfortable with command-line operations but I'm so not a programmer: I need a little more direction -- not just what I can do, but how to do it.

Thanks much,

Vonda
vondanmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #84
Avistew
Avistew began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Hi

I don't have my 505 yet and I'm working on converting some manga I own.
I've been doing it with calibre, from cbz files I makes using jpg or png files. Then I convert it to lrf.

I saw on the forums that there is another method, using Manga2Pdf then rasterfarian to convert it to lrf.

I was wondering, for those with a Sony reader who have tried both, which would you say gives the best quality? Which files are smalle? (I haven't tried the second method yet because I couldn't seem to make it work in Ubuntu, but if it's better quality and smaller size I'll give it a try again).

Thanks
Avistew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #85
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by vondanmcintyre View Post
I'm trying to convert Ursula K. Le Guin's SUPERMOUSE comics to various ebook formats. Calibre handled EPUB fine, but when I got to .lit I ran into a couple of problems, which I would be grateful for advice about.

When I look at the .lit file in Calibre's internal reader, I can see the pictures (though they're separated by a lot of white space).

When I use the Microsoft Reader emulator (on my Dell laptop, running Win XP) -- all the pictures are gone. Only the headings and Table of Contents and publication information remain.

Would anyone be willing to look at the Supermouse01.lit file on a Microsoft Reader?

And, are there stepwise instructions for the comic conversion section of Calibre discussed above? I've read the thread and the help file and I blush to admit I can't find where I should choose the comic converter option in the Calibre GUI.

I'm comfortable with command-line operations but I'm so not a programmer: I need a little more direction -- not just what I can do, but how to do it.

Thanks much,

Vonda
I'm having that same problem with Codename: Sailor V. I convert it into epub and it looks fine through Calibre, but if I put it on my EZ Reader or look at it with Adobe Digital Editions, I have no pictures past the cover.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #86
TevK
TevK doesn't litterTevK doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
manga on nook?

Hi, I just got a nook recently and was trying converting and viewing manga for the first time last night (I've done it before for PRS-505 and Kindle DX).

I didn't see a comics output format specifically for the nook, so I used the PRS-505 setting, but the image size wasn't quite right (the nook UI takes a little more screen real estate).

What are the settings I should use for the nook?
Or should I just wait until that output option is added in a future update?

I took a bunch of photos showing the manga on my Kindle DX, PRS-505, and nook, side-by-side with a paper book. Check 'em out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/se...7622898319997/

I love Calibre, it's a great app!
TevK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #87
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you can figure out the exact screen resolution of the nook, i'll be happy to add an output profile for it.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #88
TevK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you can figure out the exact screen resolution of the nook, i'll be happy to add an output profile for it.
Ok, I'll poke around this weekend and see if I can come up with the exact size.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #89
TevK

I'm still honing in on the exact resolution, but it appears to be around:
600x730.

Should have time to suss out the exact number tonight.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #90
Darth Timmy
Darth Timmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I am a noob and in need of help. I just got a Kindle and just downloaded the program. So far I am very impressed with Calibre as my ebook manager! I am wondering though what is the best format to convert a CBR in so I can read it on my kindle.
I tried a mobi conversion, and the text was sooo small I could barely read it. Any suggestions?
Darth Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cbz, comic