Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #181
Sony
Sony PRS-505 lover
Sony began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I think that when you read a good book, you get so immersed in it that you do not want to put the book down! I got the book called "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin for my Sony PRS-505SC and I did not want to put it down at all last night!
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #182
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoreadalot View Post
When I first heard about Twilight I assumed I would Hate it. I figured it would end up being like Ane Rice's Interview with the Vampire which I did not like at all.
I finally decided to give them a try because I kept hearing people say how good it was. I was hooked within the first four chapters. I read all four books in three days getting only about four hours of sleep each night. When I was done with them I finally got some sleep but as soon as I woke up I read them again Slowly as to not miss anything.
When I was done with the series I started to look for other Vampire books to read and I found a couple- read them and HATED them.
My point is until you read a book you won't know if you like it.Take Moby Dick most people would not want to read about a whale assuming it would be boring, and it might be boring for some but for others it might be interesting but you don't know until you try to read it.
I have always said I hated SciFi and would never read it but Twilight taught me that you can not always assume you won't like something just because its a category that does not interest you because you might be surprised and end up finding a book that ends up being one of your favorites.
(By the way what makes a writer a professional? I assumed Stephenie Myers was a professional writer since she gets paid,and paid very well.)
To answer your last point first: getting paid makes a writer a professional. I don't believe anyone has said she's not a professional, I know I haven't. The consensus I have seen is that while she's written a series that really resonates with a lot of people, it also contains a lot of technical flaws. While those flaws don't matter to a lot of readers, they may prevent the book from becoming a classic.

Again though, the only way to know if a book's going to be a classic is wait fifty or a hundred years and see if it's still popular.

I'm glad you liked the books. I didn't. I couldn't finish the first and won't read the others. I'll still buy any future ones, because others in the household do like them.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 AM   #183
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I'd say that anyone who is able to make a living solely off of their writing (even if it's a fairly meager one) is doing it professionally. That's to say, writing is their profession.
Some would define it as anyone who has sold any piece of writing for money.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #184
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I would say that it is someone who routinely sells writing for money. I've been published, but it was 7 years ago.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #185
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Some would define it as anyone who has sold any piece of writing for money.
True, it doesn't necessarily need to be their primary source of income. But I do think it needs to be an ongoing thing. I'd go with Hellmark's definition of 'routinely sells writing for money'.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #186
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
I would say that it is someone who routinely sells writing for money. I've been published, but it was 7 years ago.
Works for me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #187
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
This is why I said this was suited for another thread...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #188
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
This is why I said this was suited for another thread...
But we've all come to an agreement on it! Well, those of us discussing it.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #189
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I don't mind watching something "heavy" to relax, at all. Solaris... Minority Report... Blade Runner... Ghost in the Shell...

Then again, I might just put on The Incredibles. Louurvve it when Dash realizes he can run on water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
99%....I agree...except for "I Love You to Death" worth every single wasted heartbeat...
I haven't seen it!

Favourite romantic comedy is probably [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnOzIirAHjA"]Love on a Diet - never fails to make me laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Movies for me is one thing, and one thing only, 1,5 to 2 hours of braindead entertainment! And thats all, no matter what label they slap on it. I watch them to be entertained for a while, not to think. I do enough thinking during my 8 hours at work thank you very much!
Ahhh, a goggie-lover after my own heart!
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote