Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Touch screen sensibility and screen protector

I brought Sony 6" /digital/ touchscreen (refurbish)

I brought a screen protector. It's not a screen protector produced by Sony. Yet the screen protector can be use for tablets such as ipad.

However, touch screen doesn't work when I put on the screen protector.
(Before I got the screen protector, I wrap the ereader up by foodwrap as protection, same the touch screen doesn't work.)

The screen protector I brought is for LCD.

Do I need to buy screen protector especially for ereader?

Do I need to buy screen protector especially produced by Sony?

p.s. strange the ereader don't have calibration of touchscreen as option.
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmeal View Post
I brought Sony 6" /digital/ touchscreen (refurbish)

p.s. strange the ereader don't have calibration of touchscreen as option.
The ereader uses a infrared touch screen (no pressure required). Read this article for information. The article says:
Quote:
Screen protectors can also work very effectively with infrared touch screen as the grid of infrared beams is above the screen and will be above a suitably designed screen protector with a low reflectivity coating.
But looking at the design most protectors might just get in the way of the infrared light grid.

If you find one that works please update us.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:09 AM   #3
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
An idea concerning reasons for not working protector:

So far as I know, the touch-screen uses another technology than Ipad & Co. Infrared rays are running just above the surface to track where you touch with fingers. So "touching" (pushing) isn't necessary at all, just to be on the right place.

I guess, the protector sheet ist TOO HIGH (THICK) and is blocking the IR-rays.

A.

Edit: oh, dwanthny has been faster....
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Thank you you guys.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
So far as I know, the touch-screen uses another technology than Ipad & Co. Infrared rays are running just above the surface to track where you touch with fingers. So "touching" (pushing) isn't necessary at all, just to be on the right place.
Which can be really aggravating if you have long hair and like reading stretched out on your stomach on your bed.

I'm very interested in finding a screen protector that will work for my 950. I just discovered a very tiny SCRATCH in the screen on the left side! Thankfully it's so small that I have to look for it to see it, and it's not interfering with reading, but I'm now very anxious not to have other bigger scratches happen!

If anyone finds a working screen protector, please let me know.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Which can be really aggravating if you have long hair and like reading stretched out on your stomach on your bed.
I believe you
My problem is compareable: I like reading on the soil in the woods. But there are ants, flies and falling needles from the trees...

But with PRS+ in its newest form it is possible to switch off the touch screen.

A.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But with PRS+ in its newest form it is possible to switch off the touch screen.
I actually prefer using the touch screen to using the menu buttons, especially since I use the store on the 950 so much. It's just annoying when my hair accidentally turns the pages for me.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Scaly,

With PRS+ 2.0.13 beta you can selectively disable page-turn with gestures and dictionary by doubletap. All other touch-related functions like option-menus a.s.o are still useable.
Additionally you can assign "page-turn by gesture on/off to" to a key, like volumn-, to toggle between.
Regards
Mark
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
Additionally you can assign "page-turn by gesture on/off to" to a key, like volumn-, to toggle between.
Now that would work. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
bookmeal
Connoisseur

haha, it's funny how hair can turn the page. So you are reading outdoor, may be the mosquito can turn your page too?
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
Analogus
Fanatic

Yes they do, as I wrote. Ants and needles falling down from needle trees just as well.

When a needle falls on the screen, it depends on... Very often it hits the screen somewhere in the middle and aftertwars slidig to one edge resisting there. That makes trouble because the quick-page-scrolling functionality will be activated. After 5 seconds you are several pages further in your book... ;-)

A.

Last edited by Analogus; 09-17-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Yes they do, as I wrote. Ants and needles falling down from needle trees just as well.

When a needle falls on the screen, it depends on... Very often it hits the screen somewhere in the middle and aftertwars slidig to one edge resisting there. That makes trouble because the quick-page-scrolling functionality will be activated. After 5 seconds you are several pages further in your book... ;-)

A.
You could learn to speed-read...
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Or buy a very big hat - a sombrero, that'd do the trick......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Analogus
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Or buy a very big hat - a sombrero, that'd do the trick......
Please don't laugh... I really tried that
No sombrero but a felt-hat made in scandinavia (black). Over 20 years ago I used it for trecking tours (though that time the terms "trecking" and "nordic walking" have been unknown).
Only usable in dense woods and uninhabited areas

Besides: those times I wished something like an ereader. Carrying books over hundreds of miles/kilometres per feet is hard work. My solution at that time was to burn every day the pages of the books I did't use any more in the campfire to save weight...

A.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Stick with the pbooks !

Quote:
Please don't laugh... I really tried that
No sombrero but a felt-hat made in scandinavia (black). Over 20 years ago I used it for trecking tours (though that time the terms "trecking" and "nordic walking" have been unknown).
Only usable in dense woods and uninhabited areas

Besides: those times I wished something like an ereader. Carrying books over hundreds of miles/kilometres per feet is hard work. My solution at that time was to burn every day the pages of the books I did't use any more in the campfire to save weight...A.
Ah, Analogus, the thing you haven't allowed for is that the ereader wouldn't keep you anywhere near as warm as the pbook pages
A few phizzles, a flare or two, some very toxic gases, and a ghastly smell, and that would be yer lot !

Mind you, the smell might keep the wolves at bay.......

Last edited by carpetmojo; 09-17-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Wrote rubbish...
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote