Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Kobo From Borders - Which Store Is It?

Hello all!

I am interested in the Kobo reader. I adore my Sony and was looking for a hard case for it. The Borders I go to in the Buffalo, NY area has a special that you buy a Kobo reader and get a free case. Hmm...I can do math!! The reader is $100 and the case is $40. It's a better deal to buy the reader and get the case. Whether I resell the Kobo or keep it is another story though.

My question is this. I'm in Canada. When I played with buying a book on the Kobo in the store it directed me to sign in with my borders.com username & password. I asked the sales girl (admittedly a dum thing to do!) why the Kobo was taking me to Borders store and not the Kobo store. She said because it's Borders. Duuh!

Canadians can't buy from Borders.com with a Canadian credit card and address as far as I know. This was confirmed by someone else in the store. I had always thought that the Kobo reader directed you to the Kobobooks.com webstore to buy and not Borders. The salesgirl was useless as far as information goes and I didn't want to buy it and then not have it go to Kobo so I've come to you fine folks.

Which is it? Does a Kobo bought at a Borders store go to the Kobobooks store or the Borders ebook store? She actually said if I want the reader to go to Kobobooks buy it back in Canada or only buy it on my desktop computer and sideload the books to the Kobo. She was a lovely person.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Geez, well I purchased my Kobo from Borders here in the good ol' US of A, and a few months later I switched to the Kobo Desktop software rather than the Borders Desktop software and now purchase and load all of my books through Kobo that way.

However, if you are talking about purchasing books through the Kobo itself rather than through the desktop application and wanting the Kobo to navigate to Kobo rather than Borders I can't help you there because I have never even tried purchasing a book using the wireless feature. Sorry.

Hopefully, someone will come along who has tried these things.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm on very thin ice here, but I had a Kobo in y home for a short time and experimented quite a lot with it. I didn't use it to buy any books, but I did use it to sync with my Kobo-books account without any trouble at all. It was a Border's Kobo, but I didn't install the Border Desktop on my computer, but instead the one I downloaded from Kobo.

So I guess I didn't exactly sideload, but soemthing in-between. Bought the books with my computer (never tried anything else), but synced them with my desktop application.

By the way, I'm in Sweden...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I assume it is a border branded Kobo store... since you got it at B&N... I think Sony used to do that too.

Is this $40 cover you get specifically for the Kobo... or is it generic?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe that the web store you connect it IS controlled via the Desktop that you use.

I am 99% certain that IF you were to install the Kobo branded desktop, that the store used by the WiFi on the Kobo would also be the Kobo store.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the responses. That makes sense re the desktop software co-ordinating with the wifi software on the reader itself. The girl at the store said it's a Borders App and it takes you to Borders.com. It didn't make any sense to me. I wondered too if you could delete said App or install a Kobobooks app sort of thing.

My Sony was bought at Borders and the software on my laptop says Reader store by Borders but the software on my desktop was installed from the Sony site and just says Reader store, no Borders mentioned at all. I didn't know if that would carry through to the Wifi option on the Kobo itself. I didn't want to be stuck with something that wouldn't be of use to me. What's the point of having the Wifi feature if I can't use it, you know.

As to the case, they have several to choose from when you buy the reader. They have hard ones, soft ones, and skins. Some say Kobo on it but the envelope one I bought didn't. It's basically a case in envelope form with a magnet that closes it and will hold whatever fits in it. My little Sony is dwarfed by it but I like that it's hard and don't worry so much about torquing my reader and busting the screen.

If you go to the Borders site it's under ereader accessories. There's cases for the Kobo, the Cruz and generic ones. Here's a link to the one I bought.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=094922039026

It comes in black, blue, red & pink but the pink isn't very pink. I didn't like it so I went with the Robin's Egg blue. It's pricey but a nice case. I used my 33% off coupon rather than get the reader + case and be stuck with something I couldn't use up here or sell to anyone up here or give away to anyone up here.

Oh and the buy the reader get a free case isn't mentioned on the site and there's only a 5 x 5 sign saying that near the readers itself. Last week there was a whole display as soon as you walked into the store about the free case. I don't know how long that'll be on for or even if it's at all Borders stores.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Hi guys!

Thanks for the responses. That makes sense re the desktop software co-ordinating with the wifi software on the reader itself. The girl at the store said it's a Borders App and it takes you to Borders.com. It didn't make any sense to me. I wondered too if you could delete said App or install a Kobobooks app sort of thing.

My Sony was bought at Borders and the software on my laptop says Reader store by Borders but the software on my desktop was installed from the Sony site and just says Reader store, no Borders mentioned at all. I didn't know if that would carry through to the Wifi option on the Kobo itself. I didn't want to be stuck with something that wouldn't be of use to me. What's the point of having the Wifi feature if I can't use it, you know.

As to the case, they have several to choose from when you buy the reader. They have hard ones, soft ones, and skins. Some say Kobo on it but the envelope one I bought didn't. It's basically a case in envelope form with a magnet that closes it and will hold whatever fits in it. My little Sony is dwarfed by it but I like that it's hard and don't worry so much about torquing my reader and busting the screen.

If you go to the Borders site it's under ereader accessories. There's cases for the Kobo, the Cruz and generic ones. Here's a link to the one I bought.

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=094922039026

It comes in black, blue, red & pink but the pink isn't very pink. I didn't like it so I went with the Robin's Egg blue. It's pricey but a nice case. I used my 33% off coupon rather than get the reader + case and be stuck with something I couldn't use up here or sell to anyone up here or give away to anyone up here.

Oh and the buy the reader get a free case isn't mentioned on the site and there's only a 5 x 5 sign saying that near the readers itself. Last week there was a whole display as soon as you walked into the store about the free case. I don't know how long that'll be on for or even if it's at all Borders stores.

Thanks for the help!
Shopaholic... and the good thing about Sony and Kobo is that you can pretty much shop anywhere that sells epub books and use them on both devices. Of course, the bad thing about the Sony and Kobo is that you can pretty much shop anywhere that sells epub books and use them on both devices.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Shopaholic... and the good thing about Sony and Kobo is that you can pretty much shop anywhere that sells epub books and use them on both devices. Of course, the bad thing about the Sony and Kobo is that you can pretty much shop anywhere that sells epub books and use them on both devices.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:

BOb

Quite true! and funny too.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:

BOb
We can all relate to that....too easily sometimes.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote