Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #1
Catherine Fick
Catherine Fick began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Reader for college-bound kids?

My twin nephews are headed to college next Fall and for a graduation present I want to give them eReaders. I've heard that some schools have their textbooks available to download. Which reader would be the best choice for them to have for downloading textbooks and doing schoolwork?
Catherine Fick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Catherine, May is a long time away. Today's answer may not be the best answer in six months.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I second Russell's advice, but for today's answer, I'd probably pick the Entourage Edge. It has some of the most highly developed firmware I've seen according to the demos, and the second screen will make it easy to deal with textbooks. And they can use a bluetooth keyboard if they *really* want to take notes.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yep

I have to say I agree with the other two. Wait until next May and take a look then.

The market is very much emerging, and we are expecting a number of new readers and upgraded ones to be available in 2010. Its very exciting!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I would contact the university tech department and ask them about what formats the textbooks will be offered in before buying a reader.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert