Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Thoughts of a PRS-700 user concerning the announcement of the PRS-600

Hi everyone!

I kept going on and on in my head about this new device that would be on the market soon and I would like to share some of my thoughts about it as a fellow PRS-700 user.

Is the PRS-600 just a downgrade from the 700?

I think so... the 600 appears to be a 700 without the sidelights and a brand new firmware update. Think of it like this, the freehand notes feature is a software one, it's not as much a NEW touchscreen rather than it is a new way of using such touchscreen. Also the inbuilt Dictionary is exactly what we've all been asking as an update.

I believe that Sony has been listening to what we say around here and hurried up and released this unit in order to try to make the unit what the 700 was meant to be and removed the sidelights to improve contrast (just a guess, we haven't seen any pics of its contrast).

When more information gets out on this unit I would like to compare the specs and see if my thoughts are correct, if they are I hope you all join me in an effort to mass email Sony asking for an update of the same nature for the 700, the unfavored son.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
yeah. I'm sure the 600s touch screen will be flush with the screen which will improve visibility by as much as 100%.

the problem is that the touch screen dims a screen by 80%, but that's with backlight devices. with eink, the light must pass through twice,
-20%
so that leaves 80% light hitting the screen, than another 20% gets shaved off. that's 80%-16=64%

but I for one am expecting them to update the 700s firmware with that of the 600s, possibly sans scribble, but its possible they do add it. but I think there will be a big chance we will see our dictionary.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by el.astrologo View Post
the freehand notes feature is a software one
Does anyone know how the freehand notes feature works? What does it exactly do?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
As far as I know, it hasn't been disclosed. However, since it's mentioned as a separate feature from the note taking via the on screen keyboard, I assume it allows you to scribble using the stylus.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If that is indeed what the freehand note feature is, that would be really cool!

In my opinion, the 700 looks very solidly built. I think some high up manager listed a bunch of features he/she wanted on the 700 and built in side lights was one of them. Probably as seeing that there are many requests for a built in light and perhaps the covers with lighting sold very well showing considerable interest in it. Also, it's a feature that no other e-reading device has.

Unfortunately, they should've look at the prototype and realized that the added lights created a very poor contrast. I'm pretty sure if that if the 700 had similar contrast as the 505, that it would've been a big hit.

So it looks like the 600 addresses the issues that made the 700 lacking and offers a lot of nice features at a good price point for consumers. I don't see many additional features but I see it as a "correction."

I've only seen pictures but it seems like Sony are building units that are more affordable than adding a lot of extras into making the units look cool and solid. I just hope they don't "feel" cheaply made. That's one thing I've never heard about any of the e-readers from Sony, that they feel cheap.

Last edited by MerLock; 08-03-2009 at 01:33 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
As a 700 user, I am disappointed with Sony's new readers. The primary reason that I purchased the 700 was the built in light. I do a lot of boating and camping and the light is a big plus. Additionally, I can read in a dimly lit room while my wife is watching TV.

I was planning on purchasing one for her for Christmas. Guess I waited too long. I did not like the bulkiness of the add on lights for the 505. Will have to wait and see what they come up with for the 600.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbdb View Post
As a 700 user, I am disappointed with Sony's new readers. The primary reason that I purchased the 700 was the built in light. I do a lot of boating and camping and the light is a big plus. Additionally, I can read in a dimly lit room while my wife is watching TV.

I was planning on purchasing one for her for Christmas. Guess I waited too long. I did not like the bulkiness of the add on lights for the 505. Will have to wait and see what they come up with for the 600.
They are still available. You can get them for $349 at Borders, FYI.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
herbdb
herbdb began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
I just checked the borders site and saw nothing in the way of any ebook readers for sale.
herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I just checked the borders site and saw nothing in the way of any ebook readers for sale.
They've been off the website for a while (I don't think you could ever actually buy the readers at borders.com). Use a store locator to find your closest one and give them a buzz. I was just there the other day and they had the display up and 700s in stock.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have seen Sony Readers for sale on the Borders website once it was no longer on Amazon's servers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
I called all the Borders in Las Vegas and none were in stock. One of the clerks told me that they are expecting a shipment from Sony but they do not know when they will arrive. Today's announcement of the 300 and 600 might complicate things.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
I called all the Borders in Las Vegas and none were in stock. One of the clerks told me that they are expecting a shipment from Sony but they do not know when they will arrive. Today's announcement of the 300 and 600 might complicate things.
Oh bummer! I would call around and see if they'll ship. I'm sure they would, they did when I worked there. Call the Borders in Whitehall, PA, I know they have some
Old 08-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
B & H Photo Video in NYC has the 505s on their website, but only in Silver & Red; no blue.
www.b&hphotovideo.com
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
azlkk
azlkk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, iPad
I couldn't help but notice that the PRS-700 does not show up on the US Sony Style webpage. That was quick.

On a related note, I've been told by the Sony store people here in Dublin that the PRS-700 will be available in Ireland by end of the year.
azlkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #15
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
Same here. I read in bed and also in transports so it's a VERY convenient function. I don't use the touchscreen that much though, just for highlight content time to time.
I regret than the 600 won't have the lighting feature but in other hand I won't be too tempted to buy one

btw, it's really weird that 700 will be available in Ireland. I guess it's the lag between US and Europe, I can't help wondering when they will sell reader in Asia then
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote