Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #46
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Dramione (that's Draco/Hermione) is - used to be, anyway - a pretty big ship in the het corner of HP fandom, I think, at least as far as non-canon ships go. Probably not as huge as Drarry (Draco/Harry) or Snarry (Snape/Harry) for that matter, but for het, it's really popular.

I never really got the appeal of that (well, I do in theory, but I was never all that much interested in Draco as a character), being a long-time SSHG (that's Snape/Hermione) shipper instead, but there's some overlap between Dramione and SSHG shippers.

I think the overwhelming majority of non-canon shippers are very much aware that it's very, very, very much not canon and something that would never happen in canon. It's all for fun (even if people do take shipping seriously!) and in some ways, especially with fanfic, it's a whole lot more interesting to try and find ways of never-likely-in-canon pairings to happen in a way that they'd actually more or less make sense, compared to shipping canon pairings - there's so much more room for the "but what if ..." aspects for non-canon ships.

From what I gathered, the ship wars between Ron/Hermione and Harry/Hermione shippers were huge back in the day, though....
True. I wasn't knocking them as I have read and enjoyed a few odd ships like Draco & Hermione. There have even been a few Hermione and Snape stories like you said that are interesting. I have a friend online who wanted Neville to hook up with Luna which of course didn't happen in Canon either and Harry seems to be paired with just about anyone if you look round long enough. He's even been paired with Tom Riddle (Lord Voldemort) on occasion. Not to mention had just about every level of abuse thrown at him and had Dumbledore and the Weasley's conspire against him in some of the fics. I still visit fanfiction.net often and use Calibre to save ebook copies of interesting stories to my computer.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #47
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
True. I wasn't knocking them as I have read and enjoyed a few odd ships like Draco & Hermione. There have even been a few Hermione and Snape stories like you said that are interesting. I have a friend online who wanted Neville to hook up with Luna which of course didn't happen in Canon either and Harry seems to be paired with just about anyone if you look round long enough. He's even been paired with Tom Riddle (Lord Voldemort) on occasion. Not to mention had just about every level of abuse thrown at him and had Dumbledore and the Weasley's conspire against him in some of the fics. I still visit fanfiction.net often and use Calibre to save ebook copies of interesting stories to my computer.
Oh yes, I didn't think you were! I was just expanding on the idea of non-canon / not-likely-in-"book-reality" ships and why they may hold more appeal for some people than the canon pairings.

Poor Harry, yes - he can't catch a break.

Still, I'm not sure Harry/Voldemort is any stranger than Hogwarts/Giant Squid as a pairing.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #48
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh yes, I didn't think you were! I was just expanding on the idea of non-canon / not-likely-in-"book-reality" ships and why they may hold more appeal for some people than the canon pairings.

Poor Harry, yes - he can't catch a break.

Still, I'm not sure Harry/Voldemort is any stranger than Hogwarts/Giant Squid as a pairing.
You have a point. I've even read a story where Harry masters being an animagus (while drunk on firewhiskey) and finds himself in a relationship with Hedwig (his form is an owl). Anything is possible with magic I guess. I didn't think you were saying that I was either, just saying that I do in fact enjoy an odd pairing if the story is written well.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Are you guys speaking English?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #50
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You have a point. I've even read a story where Harry masters being an animagus (while drunk on firewhiskey) and finds himself in a relationship with Hedwig (his form is an owl). Anything is possible with magic I guess. I didn't think you were saying that I was either, just saying that I do in fact enjoy an odd pairing if the story is written well.
I think I've read a Ron/Dobby (and I think I may have implied Crookshanks/McGonagall in something I wrote once)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Are you guys speaking English?

Yes.

(Fanglish, perhaps?)
Advert
Old 02-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #51
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
In the book, Hermione is supposed to be rather "plain" looking. Without sounding too much like a dirty old man, it is my opinion that Emma Watson is anything but plain. I'd rate her at a couple hundred millihelens. (If Helen had the face that would launch 1,000 ships, a millihelen is a level of beauty that would launch one ship.) There probably aren't all that many people who have read the books but not seen the movie, but it would be interesting to see if they have a different perspective from those who have seen the movie.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #52
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think I've read a Ron/Dobby (and I think I may have implied Crookshanks/McGonagall in something I wrote once)...

Yes.

(Fanglish, perhaps?)
I remember reading a short piece where Crookshanks tries to romance a tabby cat who then breaks his heart by resuming her human form and pretty much telling him that what he wants cannot be. Poor Crookshanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #53
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
In the book, Hermione is supposed to be rather "plain" looking. Without sounding too much like a dirty old man, it is my opinion that Emma Watson is anything but plain. I'd rate her at a couple hundred millihelens. (If Helen had the face that would launch 1,000 ships, a millihelen is a level of beauty that would launch one ship.) There probably aren't all that many people who have read the books but not seen the movie, but it would be interesting to see if they have a different perspective from those who have seen the movie.
Ah but even in the books she cleans up well for the Yule ball I do believe. Many girls look a bit plain when pre-teens and develop into swans when puberty comes into play.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #54
Yapyap
Guru

One just has to look at how much Emma Watson's looks changed when she hit puberty - she looks very different in the 1st and 2nd film (a cute preteen, but not a "princess"-type beauty as a child) compared to from the 3rd one onwards - that it wouldn't be at all impossible to assume the same thing would/could have happened to Hermione as well.

In-books, her friends and others who knew her since she was eleven might not even have noticed that - we don't really tend to notice, consciously, how people whom we see every day change over the years. (On the other hand, also in-books, she did quite quickly catch the eye of a major international Quidditch star, without any effort on her side, so I don't think she was really all that plain by the time she was 15 or so.)

Same thing happened to Matthew Lewis (Neville), really - he went from a slightly chubby, cut but somewhat plain little boy to a teen heartthrob, basically, and I think the film people had to go into some effort to keep him looking "Neville" enough in the last film.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #55
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Hermione cleans up nicely for the Yule Ball, she just doesn't want to put in the time and effort needed to tame her frizzy hair in the book. And she had Madam Pomfrey shrink her buck teeth after she had been hit with an exploding engorgement potion in class in third or fourth year. I think it was fourth year because people noticied it at the same time as the Yule Ball.

I have been reading some of the fan fiction but have avoided the shipping. It has always annoyed me with any fan fiction I have read.

As for Ron and Hermione, I never had a problem with it. Opposites attract and Ron is smarter then people give him credit for. Hermione cannot beat him in chess and he has more common sense then Hermione does. Hermione is great with the books but not as good with the application. Ron gets when to use spells but isn't the greatest about learning them. They are a good mix.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Ah but Ron does have his problems. He's lazy and tends to be hot headed where as Harry is more reserved and Neville is more introspective. Of course Harry seems to start out a bit lazy and then really shows signs of applying himself by the time of the 3rd book when he has to learn the patronus spell. J.K. Rowling has said on different occasions that Hermione is based on how she was when she was in school and that Prof. Snape is based on her Chemistry teacher (though he probably wasn't as bad as Snape). It wasn't a potion but a spell that caused her teeth to grow I think but she did show a bit of sneakiness in having Madam Pomfrey shrink them back as much as she did. All in all I think in Harry and his friends we do get a cross section of how kids do act in school. I was never in a boarding school but some of the ways some of the kids act in Hogwarts reminds me of how it was in public school too. Some things are universal.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM   #57
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Harry was a bit more motivated to learn because he was under attack and he knew that from book three on. Ron did just fine in his classes and seemed to hold his own whenever the three of them got in trouble. Ron and Harry were pretty typical kids. Hermione was always a book worm.

I don't think that it was that unrealistic a pairing.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #58
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Whether or not J.K. Rowling thinks it's a good pairing or not at this point is irrelevant as it is part of canon that Ron and Hermione are together. I'd have thought that it would make more sense if Harry and Hermione had gotten together as it would have mirrored Harry's parents in a way not to mention how it would have mirrored what Snape wanted. That is Snape was a half-blood wizard and loved Lily Evans (muggleborn) and a Harry/Hermione match would have mirrored that exactly. Then there was the bit where Rita Skeeter wrote about their supposed romance (in book 4) which almost looks like a possible preview of what may happen in the later books. Of course it didn't but it could have been a set up for that line of development. Of course then Ron would have had to find another girl to hook up with.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #59
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
[QUOTE=ProfCrash;2755609
As for Ron and Hermione, I never had a problem with it. Opposites attract and Ron is smarter then people give him credit for. Hermione cannot beat him in chess and he has more common sense then Hermione does. Hermione is great with the books but not as good with the application. Ron gets when to use spells but isn't the greatest about learning them. They are a good mix.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, in terms of their match.

I also think the book worked far better having all three sides of the triangle connected, rather than Harry in the middle, or Ron as a fifth wheel.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #60
Jack Torrance
“Here’s Johnny
Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Torrance ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG - 9.7 iPad - iPhone 12PM - Macbook Pro
The problem is Ron is a Ginger and people don't like Ginger kids especially boys, so he got the short end of the stick because of his hair color.

It's that simple.
Jack Torrance is offline   Reply With Quote