Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I work with a woman called Hermione.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 AM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by barutanseijin View Post
Her - Me - Own
I confess that's how I pronounced it in my head for years, until the movies started coming out.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I confess that's how I pronounced it in my head for years, until the movies started coming out.
Ah, the lack of a classical education . Hermione is a name from Greek mythology. She was the daughter of King Menelaus of Sparta, and Helen of Troy.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:00 AM   #19
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I imagine the real problem is that there was a movie. But then, as I'm often told, I'm pointlessly biased against movies in general for not holding true to canon.

Seriously, though, what do you expect?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 AM   #20
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ah, the lack of a classical education . Hermione is a name from Greek mythology. She was the daughter of King Menelaus of Sparta, and Helen of Troy.
And what does a lack of classical education have to do with not knowing how to pronounce the name? The ancient Greeks certainly didn't say Her - MY - oh - KNEE...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Quote:
When I was younger, there was an English comidienne/actress named Hermione Baddeley and she was well-enough known even here that she was on some talk shows that I saw and I never forgot the name. I was thoroughly confused in the movie by Her-me-OH-nee.

So if a classical education isn't available, one can always fall back on comedy!
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
And what does a lack of classical education have to do with not knowing how to pronounce the name?
It seems reasonable to me to suggest that if you're taught about the person, you're probably going to also be taught how to pronounce the name.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 AM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
It seems reasonable to me to suggest that if you're taught about the person, you're probably going to also be taught how to pronounce the name.
You've certainly got a point. But there might be other MR members who, like me, had their classical education in other languages. Being German, I was educated in that language, obviously, and I still find it hard to wrap my head around the way some Latin and Greek words are pronounced in English.

Her - MY - oh - KNEE, for instance, is about as wrong as it gets: The Greek name has an acute accent on the "o", so the name should have the stress there...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 AM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Hermione ? Pah.......!

What's wrong with Lettuce ?

Now there's a name with a bit of presence .........

[My roll-call of Aunties, all now sadly gorn on, include Lily, Rose (nicknamed Petal), Ivy, and Mabel and Flo(rence) for good measure.

No, they don't make names like they used to .........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
And I like the Weasleys as a whole - not so goody goody as Scarface.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:52 PM   #26
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
There were two fairly well known English actresses named Hermione, Hermione Gingold and Hermione Baddeley.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
"Shippers" often become upset if their favored characters do not become romantically involved, even if there is nothing in the work to suggest that they might become a couple. Rule #34, if it exists, someone has made "slash" of it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have to wonder if it turned out to be more the case that the actors who played Harry and Hermione went through a fairly uneventful transition from child to young adult. The kid who played Ron, on the other hand, went through the gawky and somewhat unattractive goofy teenage phase (like most normal humans )

Ron was actually my favorite character in the first movie. I was disappointed that Rowling & Hollywood turned him into such a whiner as he got older.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I have to wonder if it turned out to be more the case that the actors who played Harry and Hermione went through a fairly uneventful transition from child to young adult. The kid who played Ron, on the other hand, went through the gawky and somewhat unattractive goofy teenage phase (like most normal humans )

Ron was actually my favorite character in the first movie. I was disappointed that Rowling & Hollywood turned him into such a whiner as he got older.
It could also be that they were trying to present what they thought was normal given the character's home life's. I mean Hermione was an only child and technically so is Harry since he and his cousin don't really connect while Ron is the youngest son of 6 and the only one younger is his sister Ginny. So naturally he would have been the one picked on by most of his siblings and would probably have gotten it good if he'd done the same to Ginny. So he developed into a bit of a whiner in part because of that. And of course Mrs. Weasley tended to keep the kids a bit tied to her apron strings.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #30
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
There were two fairly well known English actresses named Hermione, Hermione Gingold and Hermione Baddeley.
Hermione Norris from Spooks.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote