Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #46
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
It is for my eyes. And yes, I have played with a Nexus 7, but I quickly realized the pixel density was not enough for comfortable browsing much less reading. Otherwise, I really liked the device.

Tablets featuring 1024 x 600 resolution were completely unreadable for me. Yellow halos around text, no matter what brand and an instant headache even trying to read on such low resolution.

Problem solved with my Note that has 288dpi. Even the Note2, while readable, is noticeably less sharp.

I would love to see more options for high resolution tablets and would be happy to pay for same.
I'm hearing this more often from people, but I believe that it is more psychological than physiological. The perceived (screen resolution + viewing distance) pixel density of an LCD screen on a laptop or desktop is lower than these supposed low PPI tablet screens, and yet nobody was claiming "notebook screens 1024 x 600 (or 768) resolution were completely unreadable for me."

But then again, maybe man has evolved over the last decade or so to have more sensitive eyesight.

Pixel density was not an issue until Apple claimed that it was when the introduced their "Retina" displays.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #47
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm hearing this more often from people, but I believe that it is more psychological than physiological. The perceived (screen resolution + viewing distance) pixel density of an LCD screen on a laptop or desktop is lower than these supposed low PPI tablet screens, and yet nobody was claiming "notebook screens 1024 x 600 (or 768) resolution were completely unreadable for me."

But then again, maybe man has evolved over the last decade or so to have more sensitive eyesight.

Pixel density was not an issue until Apple claimed that it was when the introduced their "Retina" displays.
Pixel density was an issue for me long before Apple introduced the retina display. One reason why I went with a Droid 1 when I did was the pixel density.

I read a lot of comics and magazines on my tablet, and as even a 10.1" tablet has a smaller screen than the printed page, the text is always shrunken. While there is obviously a point at which diminishing returns does kick in, higher pixel density makes small text more legible. This is particularly important in comics where the page structure can be an important part of the experience so it may be necessary to view the entire page and read the dialogue at the same time.

Higher pixel density produces crisper text which is easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes.

As for the pixel density vs. distance argument, I do hold my high density displays much closer to my eyes than I place my monitors. My main work monitor is only 90ppi, but I generally sit about 40 inches (1m) away from it, so I don't really notice the low density. I also generally bump up the text size by 50% as well.

For me, high density displays are very important and have been for years. It does make a difference.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #48
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Pixel density was an issue for me long before Apple introduced the retina display. One reason why I went with a Droid 1 when I did was the pixel density.

I read a lot of comics and magazines on my tablet, and as even a 10.1" tablet has a smaller screen than the printed page, the text is always shrunken. While there is obviously a point at which diminishing returns does kick in, higher pixel density makes small text more legible. This is particularly important in comics where the page structure can be an important part of the experience so it may be necessary to view the entire page and read the dialogue at the same time.

Higher pixel density produces crisper text which is easier to read, especially at smaller font sizes.

As for the pixel density vs. distance argument, I do hold my high density displays much closer to my eyes than I place my monitors. My main work monitor is only 90ppi, but I generally sit about 40 inches (1m) away from it, so I don't really notice the low density. I also generally bump up the text size by 50% as well.

For me, high density displays are very important and have been for years. It does make a difference.
Yes, it can make a difference. I can notice it on my Surface and Nook at times. However it's only on text that's too small to comfortably read anyway. It's a bit worse on the Nook just because I naturally tend to hold it closer since the overall size is so much smaller. All in all though, not a big deal to me. Both are better than the 19" monitors I stare at all day without issues.

Bottom line is that this is an entry-level device. Not sure why anybody expected better. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. That's the great thing about Android though. This fits a need for people with a limited budget. If you don't like it, you have plenty of other choices. I think people are mostly disappointed because like me they didn't expect something this low-end from Asus. But it's priced appropriately for what it is.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #49
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

But have you been claiming that 7" screens with resolutions of 1024x600 are completely unreadable?
Old 02-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
But have you been claiming that 7" screens with resolutions of 1024x600 are completely unreadable?
When you can't read comfortably on a screen for less than a minute and see yellow halos around text and get an immediate headache when one is generally NOT provide to headaches, yes, I call that unreadable.

My monitor is over 2 feet away. Even so, there is a limit to how long I can work on it. I would happily take more resolution on that as well.

A tablet is used a LOT closet to my eyes than that!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
When you can't read comfortably on a screen for less than a minute and see yellow halos around text and get an immediate headache when one is generally NOT provide to headaches, yes, I call that unreadable.

My monitor is over 2 feet away. Even so, there is a limit to how long I can work on it. I would happily take more resolution on that as well.

A tablet is used a LOT closet to my eyes than that!
Your problem is considered a disability and is not a solid basis to make a general claim about readability. Almost all people have no trouble reading on something with this resolution. So generally speaking, it is considered to be readable.

Last edited by pl001; 02-14-2013 at 02:57 PM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #52
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Comfortably yes. For me the magic point is somewhere around 200 ppi for lcd. That is if holding the device as if it were a book or closer. My phone is pretty comfortable to read at 217 ppi (a Thunderbolt with 4.3" screen, 800x480). Whereas my tablet (Galaxy Tab 2 10.1) is horrific to read on (10.1", 1280x800, 149 ppi). My notebook (a Toshiba Sattelite, 17.3", 1600x900, 106 ppi) is ok for reading for extended periods of time, but definately not if I were to put it as close as it would need to be like a book - at 17" size the screen would be too big anyway if holding that close. Even on my phone, the only way I was able stand reading for extended periods of time (hours) was with red font on black background. Since I got my Paperwhite though, I have not even considered reading on my phone any more. There has to be a major step for an lcd to compete for reading time. 300 ppi would be a good guess on my part - pretty close to Retina. I like how Retina looks like, but that alone will not convince me to buy Apple, ever. Full HD (1920x1080) at 7" would fit the 300+ ppi bill, as does the Nexus 10. Will wait though for next generation at least since it is not a pressing matter.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #53
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Completely unreadable, no. We have 2 tablets in the house with that screen size and resolution, and I can certainly read text on them without difficulty. Reading a comic is difficult, and a full-size automotive magazine (I subscribe to several on Zinio) is next to impossible.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #54
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
One banana, two banana, three banana, four?
Interestingly (to me anyway), without development, humans don't get that far. Some groups only have words (and, apparently, thoughts) for one, two, "a few", and "many". If you ask them how many bananas (or children) they have, and it's between 3 and 5 or 6, you get the same word back. Past that, any number is "many".
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #55
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Completely unreadable, no. We have 2 tablets in the house with that screen size and resolution, and I can certainly read text on them without difficulty. Reading a comic is difficult, and a full-size automotive magazine (I subscribe to several on Zinio) is next to impossible.
Your experiences echo mine. I do not find reading comics and scans of full-size magazines on a 7" tablet (regardless of pixel density) an enjoyable experience. Sure I can do it, but it is not preferable.

I would rather have a "standard pixel density" 10" tablet than a high density 7". But that opinion is in the minority, assisted by the pixel density wars.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #56
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Your experiences echo mine. I do not find reading comics and scans of full-size magazines on a 7" tablet (regardless of pixel density) an enjoyable experience. Sure I can do it, but it is not preferable.

I would rather have a "standard pixel density" 10" tablet than a high density 7". But that opinion is in the minority, assisted by the pixel density wars.
My absolute preference is for a high density 10" tablet, but I too would prefer a "standard density" 10" tablet over a 7" tablet for those uses. However, I will say that I do have a minimum acceptable density below which I'd generally go with smaller because the larger would look like crap.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #57
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Well, I'm reading from my Nexus 7 at the moment, no glasses and I'm in my 60's so the screen can't be too bad. Do need glasses at night though. I think the problem is backlighting, that is more tiring than say eink and extra pixels really help.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #58
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Well, I'm reading from my Nexus 7 at the moment, no glasses and I'm in my 60's so the screen can't be too bad. Do need glasses at night though. I think the problem is backlighting, that is more tiring than say eink and extra pixels really help.
I would have jumped on the Nexus 7 if all I read was prose. It's absolutely great for that. I just spend too much time reading things it's not a good fit for.