Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Lu_71
Lu_71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Why is my ePub encrypted (according to book proofer)?

Having managed to get one ebook book accepted (ePub) and Amazon (.mobi), I thought it would be easier this time round – and I’ve hit a completely new problem. The export process is fine and it validates with the IDPF online checker. But then I hit a problem – Book Proofer won’t open the epub file to sync to iPad as it says it is encrypted.

I'm using Indesign 5.5.

I’ve not knowingly done anything different this time. I’ve even changed the fonts I was using to be the same as I used in the last successful one. (And I've pasted the text into a completely new indesign file).

I don't know what it is I've unwittingly done to encrypt the file. Sounds like the sort of thing I’d never have found if I’d been looking for it!

Can anyone advise? The simpler the better!

Lucy
Lu_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm guessing InDesign is including obfuscated fonts in the ePub and Book Proofer is mistakenly considering the entire ePub as being encrypted rather than just the embedded fonts. I know next to nothing about InDesign and I've never even heard of Book Proofer, but maybe someone who has can shed some light on whether Book Proofer barfs on obfuscated fonts or not. I'm fairly certain I've heard others mention that InDesign obfuscates by default.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
amyg
Enthusiast
amyg is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad
Did you need to embed fonts for some reason? Are you using special fonts that are required for proper display of your text? I never embed fonts unless absolutely necessary (and frankly it never has been so far in my short ebook design career) but I understand that if you do, it's best to use free fonts such as Google Fonts for this purpose. If not embedding fonts is what you intended, then make sure "Include Embeddable Fonts" is unchecked in the Advanced tab of the epub export dialog box.

DiapDealer, Book Proofer is a Mac application available through iTunes Connect that allows a user to easily sync a book to their iOS device without going through iTunes for the purpose of proofing. It solves a problem with iTunes that makes it hard to sync a new version of the same book if the metadata is identical.
amyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
PageLab
Connoisseur
PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PageLab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, iPad, Nook, Kobo, Positivo Alfa
Indesign always encrypts embedded fonts, but Adobe's font encryption is not compatible with iBooks, hence the message. More background information about this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192142
PageLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Lu_71
Lu_71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Thank you

Many thanks everyone.
When I experimented with a Export style names only I thought I was avoiding the font embedding issue. But have now discovered, as I think you are all suggesting, that I need to use the Export CSS styles option, but untick the embed fonts.
Thank you too to PageLab for the link about Adobe's incompatible font encryption.
As ever, such helpful comments on the forum.
Best wishes
Lucy
Lu_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bookproofer, encryption, epub, indesign 5.5.