Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM   #136
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You can't import PDFs, but that's worth the small price to pay for it.

So far I'm liking it better than Notes Plus. The search feature works really well.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #137
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I was playing with the app and took it to a meeting this afternoon. The handwriting recognition is pretty impressive as these things go, but as usual it's hopeless to recognize abbreviations and cut words. It took me several minutes after the meeting to massage my 5 lines of notes into something readable. A waste of time for me, but if you're interested in this kind of things, you should try this app.

If handwriting recognition is not your thing, I wouldn't recommend it. Notes Plus has a more elegant handwriting and more powerful drawing tools, and NoteShelf is much better for writing naturally and without the interface getting in the way.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #138
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you want to do abbreviations, then you should use a system which allows one to use a macro system --- this would make a nice utility for the iPad if Apple would allow that sort of thing.

Similarly, there was a utility for Microsoft Word which allowed one to edit text directly using standard copy-editing ``gestures'' instead of marks --- adding support for that sort of thing would make text much quicker to edit, and even allow it on the fly.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #139
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If you want to do abbreviations, then you should use a system which allows one to use a macro system --- this would make a nice utility for the iPad if Apple would allow that sort of thing.

Similarly, there was a utility for Microsoft Word which allowed one to edit text directly using standard copy-editing ``gestures'' instead of marks --- adding support for that sort of thing would make text much quicker to edit, and even allow it on the fly.
WritePad for iPad allows you to write your own macros, but I don't think Florence is very pleased with the way it handles French.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #140
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes Tom, and I must say that Smart Note is a lot better at recognizing my handwriting and French spelling and punctuation. But for me, the root of the issue is that I consider handwriting recognition a waste of time. Since it takes me less time to type a sentence, including correcting typos and autocorrect bloopers, than it does to write it by hand (never mind doing then correcting the conversion to typed text), the whole exercise is futile.

It's all a question of habit really. I have become so used to type, then scan for typos and correct them, that I can almost do it without thinking, or at least while half thinking about the next sentence. Writing by hand is slower, and then the whole error correction process distracts me from the main task which is writing. With practice of course it would get better, but I don't especially want to spend the time and energy to change my habits.
Advert
Old 09-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #141
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Anyone look at the new Bamboo Stylus fineline yet? There's a new Creative Stylus coming out too. So glad they stopped using the AAAA batteries!
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:33 AM   #142
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Anyone look at the new Bamboo Stylus fineline yet? There's a new Creative Stylus coming out too. So glad they stopped using the AAAA batteries!
I saw something about the fineline recently, but couldn't find much info on it. The name sounds interesting.

Given how much I hated the Intuos Creative, I'm not likely to try any other stylus of its kind for a while.

Actually what I'm interested in right now is the Samsung Galaxy Note and its S-pen. To the point that I'm considering leaving the iOS ecosystem for it (at least for my phone. I'm not giving up my iPad!). Although there is a very high risk that I would regret it...
Old 09-13-2014, 03:54 AM   #143
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
There are some reviews and videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AsVQtDJTyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKnc7gZOHhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82JXyyYLEH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ3A0lw_W70

Last edited by markom; 09-13-2014 at 04:13 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #144
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

And for those who prefer text

http://gizmodo.com/wacom-bamboo-fine...int-1629726621

And I stopped at the title since it's a Bluetooth stylus. I have a partly irrational aversion to anything Bluetooth, so I'll pass for now. I thought it was just a better capacitive stylus.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #145
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
I bought it and have been using it with Noteshelf for the past few days. My review is on Amazon under the same user name.

While I like it when it detects pen strokes, the problem is that sometimes it doesn't. Another reviewer on Amazon uploaded a video writing the alphabet showcasing this issue, and if you look closely, you'll see how the connection sometimes skips. Another thing I am not crazy about is the clicking noise every time you touch the screen. I had everyone's full attention during a meeting, and that while taking notes, not while I was speaking!

I love the fun colors and the rechargeable battery, and the way I can write with it neatly (for me) without zooming in, so I am torn between wanting to keep it and sending it back and trying the higher end model when it ships in 3-5 weeks. I also really like the affordable price, which would have been inconceivable a few months ago

Alupen is coming out with a finetip digital non-BT pen soon, but that one will be using AAAAs, unfortunately.

Also, it could be that the new iPad will have pen support. I always hope for this evey time a new iPad is about to be announced. Oct 21 may be the date this year.

Last edited by xendula; 09-21-2014 at 08:58 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #146
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post

Actually what I'm interested in right now is the Samsung Galaxy Note and its S-pen. To the point that I'm considering leaving the iOS ecosystem for it (at least for my phone. I'm not giving up my iPad!). Although there is a very high risk that I would regret it...
I was having the same hopes when I got my Note2. The problem is the ecosystem: there are zero good handwriting apps on the Android or Samsung app store at the moment. Bamboo paper finally put out a version, with only a single notebook you can use, and Moleskin as well, but they don't come close to the really good iPad apps. I also bought all the other higher end handwriting apps, but again, they don't compare to the iPad apps. It makes me really angry, and keeps me in Apple's shackles. The native Samsung app, SNote, is not bad, but not great either. To make sure this wasn't a phone specific issue, I checked out all the apps on the Nexus 7 as well, with the same results.

The good news is that Noteshelf finally announced an Android version of their app, and they are actively looking for developers on their FB page. Noteshelf and the SPen would be killer!!

Last edited by xendula; 09-22-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #147
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Alupen is coming out with a finetip digital non-BT pen soon, but that one will be using AAAAs, unfortunately.

Also, it could be that the new iPad will have pen support. I always hope for this evey time a new iPad is about to be announced. Oct 21 may be the date this year.
Just Mobile AluPen Digital Stylus, 1.8 mm tip, 50 euro.

http://www.arktis.de/just-mobile-alupen-digital-stylus/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVFQpnWqzuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l6qd9r4FwA

Last edited by markom; 09-21-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #148
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
The videos look sweet, but non-rechargeable
Old 09-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #149
markom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
The videos look sweet, but non-rechargeable
rechargeable AAAA batteries

http://kurtsh.com/2014/07/15/info-re...o-3-styluspen/

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/re...batteries.html

Last edited by markom; 09-22-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #150
xendula
eBookworm

I meant non-rechargeable pen. I like how the Bamboo Finepoint has a micro USb port on one end.