Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
blort
blort began at the beginning.

Device: none
bulk convert without adding to library or resorting my books

I have ~8,000 pdfs to convert, first to mobi then to epub thanks to fbreader's center alignment bug when converting from pdf to epub directly.

Now, I really appreciate Calibre's ability to convert so many books all at once, but I hate how it "organizes" my books when I add them to my library. I can live with calibre wasting about an hour of my time and hard drive space because it just has to duplicate my books to another folder, but when it scatters my books all over the place, and can't interpret the authors and titles correctly on top of that, I have to ask:

"Can Calibre please, for the sake of sanity and efficiency, just convert my books without adding them to the library and 'organizing' them?"

If Calibre cannot avoid ruining the organization of my books, is there a bulk converter out there that will do pdf->mobi and then mobi->epub?
blort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Have you looked at the command line tools? Specifically, "ebook-convert". Do a search and you will find a few threads on this. In fact, the ones I saw first were asking for what you have.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A agree with davidfor that the ebook-convert command line tool is your best option. Note that I have seen the FBReader centering bug in about 1 in 10 conversions from MOBI to ePub (I have not tried PDF -> MOBI -> ePub). I only use FBReader to check the resulting ePub for obvious problems, so the bug is not an issue for me - but the FBReader team really should fix the bug and I don't know if it has been reported to them.

If you have the author and title in the filename, then you could alternatively try the GUI by setting Preferences -> Add books -> Regular expression (and unchecking Read metadata from file contents) and then setting an inverse Save template for Sending books to device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote